PDA

View Full Version : Which ship?

sue2white
10-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I have two photos of my grandfather's eldest brother during WW1.
In one, on his hat, it says HMS Queen.
I googled and found a lttle infomation about this ship.
On the other photo (don't know whether it was taken before or after the other one) he has something that looks like Manzanin* on his hat.
I have searched and searched and have come up with two possibles -
Marizion and Marsounin.
I found that Marizion was a minesweeper, but cannot find anything about the other ship. So I am stumped as to which one it could be.
Any suggestions?
Sue :rolleyes5:

stevenpenny
10-03-2010, 1:00 PM
Hi,

Could it perhaps be the Marsouin? There are many possibilities but perhaps the M.V Marsouin which was a submarine...

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20Ma/slides/Marsouin-01.jpg

...or perhaps the SS Marsouin which was sunk by the U53 in WW1.

Steve

sue2white
10-03-2010, 1:26 PM
Wow! Fantastic.. Looks like Marsounin that I found in the Royal Navy ships list was a typo then.
I'm going to search that now.
Thanks
Sue
PS. Just googled both of these and again can find nothing!

crimea1854
10-03-2010, 1:55 PM
Sue

have you tried downloading his service record off the NA website; it might be easier to read.

Martin

peter nicholl
10-03-2010, 4:23 PM
Hi Sue
There was an HMS Mazanita, a 93 ton Drifter, hired by the RN in 1916. She was wrecked on the Ugenti Rocks in the Adriatic on 6th September 1916. Search "Great War Forum" "RNR Skipper Service Number suffix"
Peter

sue2white
10-03-2010, 4:27 PM
Got his services records.
What about 'Manzanita'?
Can't find out anything this either.

Sue

ps ooops crossed with Peter

sue2white
10-03-2010, 5:32 PM
Thanks Peter.
I have checked that out. I think that is definitely it.
From the sevice records, it also looks as though my grandfather's brother was on the ship when it was wrecked. It doesn't say as much, but he was on it on that date. :eek6:
Sue