PDA

View Full Version : Can Fashions Date This Photo ?

Peter_uk_can
09-03-2010, 7:01 PM
I know it was taken in Jersey C.I, but the date is now in question.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/phlawford/1270lowresscan-1.jpg

The man in the bowler hat lived from either 1817- 1898 or from 1853 - 1934. Depending on who he is.

The man sat behind him, and wearing a straw boater and a striped tie, is his son.

Now depending on who the man with the bowler hat is, then the son lived from either 1853-1934 or 1877 - 1958.

Thanks

Peter

Thomasin
09-03-2010, 7:42 PM
I would hazard a guess at about 1905 for the photo, making the bowler hatted gentleman 1853-1934. I must admit I can't spot a striped tie, even with a magnifying glass.

Peter_uk_can
09-03-2010, 7:58 PM
Hi Thomasin.

Here is a close up...

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/phlawford/1270detail2a.jpg

and a known photograph of the 1877 - 1958 man taken in 1909. From a wedding group so the date is 100%

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/phlawford/1255-1detail3a.jpg

Thomasin
09-03-2010, 11:54 PM
That's much better, thank you. So, using my dating of 1905, your three sets of dates would make the two men 88, 52 or 28. I don't think Mr Bowler Hat could be 88; 52 seems much more likely. The wearer of the stripy tie looks older than 28 though, but it's difficult when his face is partially obscured by his hat and that of the lady in front. As for the comparison with the 1909 picture, the latter shows very distinctively downward slanting eyebrows. Can you identify these in the main picture?

We need someone else's dating for the picture. Where's Mutley? ~~~~

Mutley
10-03-2010, 1:00 AM
Here I am :)

I would try for late 1890s - 1900. The boys close fitting caps and short trousers. The ladies sleeves, I think were the bishops style. Other than the old fella in the bowler retaining his beard, the younger men were wearing their moustaches turned down shirt collars and modern knotted ties. The straw boater was really popular in the 1890s.

Peter_uk_can
10-03-2010, 3:45 AM
Thanks for your input. I am putting some more photos together and will post them.

Geoffers
10-03-2010, 8:53 AM
Here is a close up....................and a known photograph of the 1877 - 1958 man taken in 1909. From a wedding group so the date is 100%

I'm not convinced that the man with the striped tie and straw hat is the same man as in the 1909 photo. There are similarities in apearance (especially the nose) so it wouldn't surprise me if they were related.

I cannot get the enlarged resolution good enough to check - but in the photo of the people in the cart, could the younger man with a straw hat be a closer match to the chap in the 1909 wedding photo?

Could the two in straw hats be father and son?

Ladkyis
10-03-2010, 9:59 AM
The eyes on the man with the straw hat look a lot older than the eyes of the wedding man. Could the three men in the cart be related Bowler hat older straw hat and young straw hat - three generations perhaps? Bowler hat man as the oldest was around when the others were alive so if the date were to be around 1896-8 then all three of them could be sitting in that cart.

Thomasin
10-03-2010, 1:01 PM
Could we possibly have an enlargement of Bowler Hat man?

Peter_uk_can
10-03-2010, 1:29 PM
Hi Everyone. Thank you all for your input. I am working on a set of images to post on here.. Your observations and comments are much appreciated.

Mutley
10-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Could we possibly have an enlargement of Bowler Hat man?
I did ask for exactly the same but I got chucked off the internet and could not return, my post went off somewhere else ;)
I agree with Thomasin, Ctrl+ and a magnifying glass does not bring Mr Bowler Hat man closer. He is so crucial.

LittleMissP
11-03-2010, 12:02 AM
The whole picture looks very early Edwardian to me, especially they lighter colour blouses for women and that enormous hat on the lady. The reason I say early rather than late Edwardian is that the women's blouses still have those fuller arms of the Victorians and the whole female attire is not as intricate/ frilly as some Edwardian dress I've seen despite the hat leaning towards those things. But I'm no expert at these things, just my thoughts. :)

Peter_uk_can
11-03-2010, 1:50 AM
Hi to everyone who has replied. Like a well oiled machine I created cropped hi def images of the people in these photos and copied them to my portable hard drive in order to get them to you today.

Ah ha............. the drive and laptop are on their way to the great white north............ but according to a very recent phone call they should be back by Saturday

Kinda watch this space.. you may find it fascinating ..

Peter_uk_can
15-03-2010, 7:51 PM
For your opinion and comments.

Who's who and when.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/phlawford/8comparison1a.jpg

Thanks

Geoffers
15-03-2010, 8:42 PM
A looks to be very similar to D - I wouldn't be surprised if they are the same person.

C and D look alike. A, C and D have corresponding noses , eyes and shape of head.

B is difficult because of the different lighting and the type of hat - but - his left ear is lower than his right ear and fairly closely matches D, as does the shape of the face and also the style of moustache and beard. So, A B C and D may well be the same person, or closely related.

E and F have similar shaped noses, but look to have differing eyebrows and cheek structure. The similarities suggest to me that they might be related, but not the same person.

F looks to have similar eyebrows and cheeks to A-D, and also may have a lower left ear.

Are these three generations of one family?

Mutley
15-03-2010, 11:41 PM
I'll have to think about this lot because there is a definite
'eyes DOWN' (the outer side). A and D have exactly the same 'droop' but so have most the others to various degrees even the more modern G.

Is it a family trait down the generations?
So far, I agree with Geoffers but I will have to study and consider dates. I will be back. ;)

Thomasin
16-03-2010, 12:02 AM
My immediate reaction was that B and D were the same person - but then A is also like D.
F and G are very alike, but F has distinctively protruding ears, and G doesn't.

Peter_uk_can
16-03-2010, 3:14 AM
Thanks for your input on this. Because some of these photos have been in the family for many years, there are well established theories as to who the people are. This has tended to colour my own judgement. I will be putting the full photos in but hope that showing these details will help to identify individuals.

Thanks

Peter

v.wells
16-03-2010, 4:16 PM
G looks like a thin Dr. Phil of US tv fame - same kind of smile, bald head and mustache :) I know my comment has no relevance but it was something I noticed :)

Mutley
17-03-2010, 12:55 AM
The eyes, ears and noses should tell all, or maybe not?

Use Ctrl and + to enlarge. ;)

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/MutleyBG/bg/8comparison2a.jpg