PDA

View Full Version : Quinns Sq. Buildings, Waterloo Rd, Southwark

paulineshelley
08-03-2010, 10:22 AM
Does anyone out there have any memories of Quinns Buildings before they were demolished?
Or any other memories of that area?
Pauline

Jane_Adams
08-03-2010, 3:09 PM
As discussed on another forum, my grandad, Charles Jones, lived there with his parents, Edward and Annie, and siblings Edward, Herbert and Rose.

They were showing there, at number 33 Quinns Square, on the 1901 and 1911 censuses and are still showing there on Edward Jr's WW1 service records into the early 1920s (Edward was sadly killed in 1915).

Edward Sr. was a hammerman/blacksmith, but died in 1909 I believe. I haven't worked out when Annie died yet, but know it was after 1936.

Prior to living in Quinns Square they lived in Peabody Buildings which I think was in the same sort of area. Edward Sr was from Shropshire and Annie was from Builth Wells. I'm not sure where they met but they married in London.

This is my grandad in the early 1940s with my uncle (they were living in Shepherds Bush by then though I think)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/jane_clem/pic36.jpg

When were the buildings at Quinn Square demolished? My mum remembers walking down Waterloo Road with my grandad in the early 1980s, he was pointing out where they used to be so must have been before that.

paulineshelley
09-03-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi Jane
Thanks for the photo, typical of that time and I love the shoes of the photographer in the foreground. And judging by the smiles on the faces they were leading a much better life than Quinn Buildings. I have tried to find out when they were demolished, with no success, but maybe some kind reader will enlighten us. One family I remember well was Lil Strong and her daughter, Rachel. I don't remember the Jones in 33, but you can bet I did know them by sight. I told you my grandparents lived opposite - they were actually in Peabody Trust housing and their living room was over the row of shops facing Quinn's. Exactly opposite was a brush factory and they employed a number of blind people. And, of course, when I was a child the trams were still up and down the Waterloo Road and I was so frightened of getting my foot stuck in the tracks. My grandparents name was George and Rose Sims - your mum may remember them.
Nice to talk and reminise with you Jane
Pauline

jamesd
08-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Hi Pauline,
I was born in 1963 in Quinns Buildings, I went to school at St Patricks catholic school in waterloo, my older sister worked in a supermarket on the waterloo road ( I think it was called David Greggs or Craigs ) We were one of the last families to move out. We moved to Bermodsey in 1970 and Quinns buildings were demolished shortly after, so i reckon it was around 1970/71. We moved to Ireland in 1975.
I went back to visit some of the old places.....ie schools,churchs,etc and where Quinns buildings used to be NOW stands London Ambulance HQ.
Being so young at the time i still have a image of what it looked liked, I remember names of places like Peabody,Labeth Baths,Queens Buildings ect.
I can still remember shops acroos the road from Quinns and some of the people, we lived in 146 Quinns Buildings for approx 3yrs and then got a transfer to 93 Quinns Buildings ( Not so many flights of stairs ) But i still remember a hard working and very nice community.
Anyway i think i have gone on enough ........Hope this helps, Its nice to have a place to share memories. Regards Jamesd

paulineshelley
10-04-2010, 6:18 PM
Hi James
Please forgive my late reply to you - I have just returned from holiday.
Lovely to hear from you - I am glad you have some nice memories of Quinns Buildings - in my opinion it should have been preserved and it would probably be very expensive flats by now.
Fancy your sister working in David Greggs. I used to love going shopping in there with my grandmother. It was one of those magnificant shops all tiles and glass and you had to queue up at different counters for different things. The butter was patted into squares with wooden paddles - I wonder if your sister used to do that? I dare say you spent quite a bit of time in The Cut as I did myself and I couldn't believe it on my last visit to see the Pie and Mash Shop had gone - what were they thinking of.
Next door to Greggs was the backstage entrance to The Old Vic where all the scenery was shifted in and out. My grandfather and my father both worked there until the war ended that.
People were certainly nicer to each other in those days - don't you agree?
All the very best Pauline

jamesd
10-04-2010, 9:35 PM
Hi Pauline,

Yes i spent many the hour or 2 in the Cut, usually standing outside of the laundry shop hehehe and yes i used to pass by the old vic every day.....
Do you remember a big car park across the road from David Greggs ???
I wonder would anyone have some old pics of the area ???? OR where would i begin to look for some old pics ??
Very nice to hear from you, thank you very much for the reply and i hope that you had a nice holiday.
Regards
James
P.S YES people where certainly nicer to each other back then.

paulineshelley
11-04-2010, 7:05 AM
Hi James

Yes I do remember the car park opposite Greggs, but I think it was called a bomb site in my days! LOL

I would certainly like to see some old pictures of that particular area - perhaps we will hear from someone.

Pauline

jamesd
11-04-2010, 3:30 PM
Hi Pauline,

Lets hope so, I wonder would any of the news papers at the time have any pics of the demolition of Quinns Buildings ??

British Viking
11-04-2010, 8:22 PM
Hi

I currently live in a Peabody Trust Housing Association flat in a different part of London. Seems they're recognisable elsewhere by the type of bricks and windows used (and still standing today). I recall asking the HA about the history of my building and got a nice letter back from somebody within ther HA - I think it was the History Section - not sure as it was a while ago. I may still have the letter somewhere. If I can find it I just thought they might have leads on the history of the buildings in Waterloo and let you kjnow the exact dept? Their HQ are at 45 Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7JB Tel: 020 7021 4444. Just a thought :)

jamesd
11-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Hi,

Thank you very much, this might get the ball rolling and its a great starting point for me. They might be worth a call or a email, have i live in Ireland now.
Thanks so much for the reply
Regards
James

paulineshelley
12-04-2010, 7:30 AM
Hi British Viking

Pressed button too soon by mistake.
Peabody Buildings were all solidly built and quite attractive in their style. I wouldn't mind living in one, especially now they probably all have central heating etc.
Probably quite expensive to live in them nowadays I imagine.

I am planning a visit to the Borough History Library as soon as I can and they are sure to have loads of pictures. I went earlier this year and was very disappointed to find it was closed for refurbishment. I will check before starting out next time. I didn't waste my day though - I just wandered around Southwark and really enjoyed myself.
Best wishes Pauline

paulineshelley
12-04-2010, 7:35 AM
Hi James
My computer playing up a bit - or am I blaming my tools!
Just mentioned to British Viking my intention to visit Borough Library History Dept. I will see what I can find and let you know, but it may be a little while until I can get to London
Best wishes Pauline

jamesd
12-04-2010, 9:20 PM
Hi Pauline,
Thank you very much.
Regards
Jimmy

redpataf
14-07-2010, 8:43 AM
I was actually born in block 8 number 206 Quinns buildings in 1962. We moved out of there when I was about 8 or 9 years old and I can actually remeber them being demolished.

My dad used to work in the Fina garage that was out front in Waterloo road. Most of my uncles and auties also lived in quinns buildings at some point or other.

My family names are Lee, Redpath I als had a cousin who lived in the buildings called Jackie Sharp. I can also remember the Coal man who lived in my block who's name was Patsy Smith. The other familys I remeber were the McDonough's, (Micky, Ann, and Patsy). The Lowney's (Michael and kevin) and The Davies (Knowel, and Francis). Do you remember the the pole at the end of the bins where we would hang ropes of for a swing or the open Bins in the middle of the square. All my brothers and siter are older than me and they are Bernie, David and Vivian.

British Viking
14-07-2010, 1:29 PM
Hi James
My computer playing up a bit - or am I blaming my tools!
Just mentioned to British Viking my intention to visit Borough Library History Dept. I will see what I can find and let you know, but it may be a little while until I can get to London
Best wishes Pauline

Hi Pauline!

Did you eventually make the trip and what were you able to discover?

Cheers

BV

jamesd
17-07-2010, 2:43 AM
Hiya, I remember a family called Lowney ! and the names Micheal and Kevin ring a bell and I do remember tha garage out front, and the ropes and bins...... Do you remember a Irish girl called Terri ???

redpataf
18-07-2010, 11:35 AM
James'd

Can't say I remember a girl called Terri. That might be an age difference between us. I am 48. Do you remember the Parafin man that used to come around with the tanker on the back of his truck and sell parafin by the galon for peoples parafin heaters?. How about Del's the newsagant that used to be across the road . There was also the Greek shop patalas's. The man that run that eventualy ran a sandwich bar at the top of the Lower Marsh.

Did you know before they knocked the buildings down they made a film in there?. It's called "O Lucky man" and stared Dandy Nichols (she also played Alf Garnets wife) and it also stared Malcolm McDowell. I have seen it and I have to say it is a very strange film. Of it's time I guess.

MarkJ
18-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Please try to remember the forum Acceptable Use Policy states that the details of living persons must not be posted on the forum.
I appreciate that a thread such as this one tends to bring up memories of friends and neighbours, but the AUP still applies and posts specifically mentioning living persons may be deleted without warning.

paulineshelley
19-07-2010, 9:52 AM
Dear BV
Forgive late reply. I am still away from home and we have had lots of trouble latching on to a wireless signal. I hope this is working now.
I did manage to get to the Borough Library, all excited, but I was soon very disappointed.
When I arrived I said to the guy on reception there "OK, what is new?". He looked at me a bit strange and I asked what was new after the year and a half refurbishment work. He said just the ceiling and walls have been painted, and sure enough, nothing has changed at all there. I should point out that the front library is lovely and a very pleasant place to be, but the history facility is a great let down.
So, when I can manage it I think I will try to head for the National Archives.
Regards Pauline

jamesd
19-07-2010, 1:00 PM
Hiya,

I remember the parafin man ( and the heaters ) Also the shop across the road owned by the greek gentleman.

Never new about the film ( O lucky man ) I must see if i can get my hands on that.

This is great information and thank you very much........God it's a very small world that we live in !!!!!

Jamesd

jamesd
19-07-2010, 1:02 PM
Hiya Pauline,

That's a shame BUT you sound like a women on a mission......So we all look forward to hearing from you again...

Take care

Jamesd

paulineshelley
20-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi Jamesd
It might take a while for me to get a day in London, in fact, I think it would be best to stay up there for a couple of days.
Finding it hard at the moment as I am a professional house sitter and very busy at the moment. Should slow down a bit towards the winter and I will be on the Quest to find some pics of Quinn Sq Blds.
If anyone finds the film mentioned of the buildings I would love to know where to get on.
Best wishes
Pauline

mickm
20-01-2011, 1:40 PM
hi pauline you will find o lucky man on u tube. idont think its the one in waterloo. they dident have skylights on the roof.?

mickm
20-01-2011, 1:50 PM
hi isent you an email 2 days ago idont know if you got it ihavent got one back.???

redpataf
21-01-2011, 11:55 AM
It definitly is O lucky man that was filmed there as I was in some of the crowd shots. When I moved out from the building I only moved to the otherside of the ambmbulance station into greet house. Word went around that they were filming in the buildings and that they were looking for extras for crowd sceenes so all the kids and a lot of parents went around to the buildings. Maybe they used a different location for the roof sceenes as I do agree there were no sky ights on the roof as I remeber.

mickm
21-01-2011, 2:00 PM
hi ithink its queens buildings at the borough.on the roof. you can see the train going over the viaducte? i went many time round the roof. to call on mates. i lived on top floor of caretakers block. and never saw any skylights.mick mc connell. p.s do i know you im 67 now. i new the strongs. buicks. smiths. pullens. cambells. and many more.

paulineshelley
22-01-2011, 3:20 PM
hi ithink its queens buildings at the borough.on the roof. you can see the train going over the viaducte? i went many time round the roof. to call on mates. i lived on top floor of caretakers block. and never saw any skylights.mick mc connell. p.s do i know you im 67 now. i new the strongs. buicks. smiths. pullens. cambells. and many more.

Hi Mick
Sorry I haven't been in touch sooner. I do a lot of house sitting now and have just returned from a 'sit'. Being busy with that I have also not been on this site for ages.
I certainly can't remember any skylights in Quinn Buildings or any in Queen's Buildings come to that. I will see what you directed me to on UTube as I would very much like to see that film.
None of my family lived in Quinn Buildings. My grandmother lived over the shops in Waterloo Rd, but I did know Lil Strong and her daughter Ray who lived in Quinns - you say you knew the Strongs. The Buildings should not have been pulled down.
Best wishes Pauline

paulineshelley
22-01-2011, 3:24 PM
Hi Jamesd
It might take a while for me to get a day in London, in fact, I think it would be best to stay up there for a couple of days.
Finding it hard at the moment as I am a professional house sitter and very busy at the moment. Should slow down a bit towards the winter and I will be on the Quest to find some pics of Quinn Sq Blds.
If anyone finds the film mentioned of the buildings I would love to know where to get on.
Best wishes
Pauline

Hi James
I have not been on this site since speaking to you last. I got a bit involved with house sitting - a great occupation for the retired.
So I have not done any more research, but Mick, who has joined the forum here seems to be interested and may have some good memories of the Buildings
Regards Pauline

jamesd
22-01-2011, 5:21 PM
Hi Pauline,

Thank you, I just replied to his thread. Has anyone got any pics ??????????????????

James

paulineshelley
23-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi Mick
Great news that you have managed to get hold of a copy of the film. I will wait to see your reaction when you have watched it to decide if it is worth buying - hope you enjoy it
Regards Pauline

mickm
23-01-2011, 12:41 PM
hi pauline. i will let you know when i see it. have anice day. mick xx

Mutley
23-01-2011, 6:31 PM
Please read the forum AUP (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/announcement.php?f=415).
The names of living people are not allowed to be mentioned.

Some of these people may be horrified to find themselves cropping up on google.
If you wish to reminisce then please do so by email or PM.

Alsarw45
16-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Hi Folks
I have stumbled across this site and am quite pleased that their are people out there who still show an interest in QB. As I have pm'd to some of the members I have a fair amount of info, photos etc., if anyone is interested please do not hesitate to get in touch. All the best
Alan

Mutley
17-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Welcome to the forum Alan, please do enjoy your contact with all those interested in QB.

I hope you get several PMs, it is good to have the chance to reminisce and of course, by Private Message, you can mention all the names you can remember without restriction. :smile5:

Have fun and good luck.

Alsarw45
18-02-2011, 2:23 AM
Hi Mutley
Thanks for the welcome, most appreciated. I have already been in touch with a few of the members and passed on info to them. Look forward to an interesting sojourn on this site as it is a subject very close to my heart.

Cheers
Alan Webber

trevor.anderson
18-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Hello
Just found this site and I am trying to research my family history. I have a birth certificate for my mother which shows her parents, James William Carter and Esther Rosetta Carter, living at 220 Quinns Square in 1911. I have absolutely no information about the square or the people who lived there, and I would be grateful for any information or photographs you can provide.
Trevor

paulineshelley
19-02-2011, 9:41 PM
Dear All
My husband surprised me with a copy of the film 'Oh Lucky Man. I found it a very strange film, but loved seeing Quinn Sq Buildings towards the end. I am almost sure that the roof scenes were done near Borough Market, as you can see the roof of the covered market area and it would account for the train going by.
Pauline

brenda clarke
05-04-2011, 1:13 PM
hi i use to live in qb my name is brendaclarke , i was born there and lived above l and r strong from 1952/1960 my nan and my uncle bert also lived there, my dads name was alf or tich , i would love any info , or photos please get in touch many thanks .brenda

MarkJ
05-04-2011, 1:17 PM
Please, please do not post the names of people who are - or who may be - still living. The AUP for the forum does not permit such details being given and will result in posts being edited or removed without warning.

Mark

brenda clarke
18-04-2011, 12:36 PM
hi alan thanks for e.mail, i would love to see some photos and dvd, i do remember your name, i would like anyinfo you have, i think i lived no.176 not to sure. my dad tichy clarke lived in qb bldg from when he was born 1912. hope to here from you soon . kind regards brenda clarke

Lone Pine
18-04-2011, 4:03 PM
Hi Folks
I have stumbled across this site and am quite pleased that their are people out there who still show an interest in QB. As I have pm'd to some of the members I have a fair amount of info, photos etc., if anyone is interested please do not hesitate to get in touch. All the best
Alan

YES YES please my Grandfather lived there in 1913 just before marrying my Nanny any info would be greatly apprecaited OMG!

brenda clarke
26-04-2011, 2:20 PM
hi alan , just to ask if you got my e-mail i not to sure how to reply , thanks brenda clarke

booby
19-05-2011, 8:51 PM
iwas born in Quinn's buildings with my two sisters and brother it was a smashing place to live with lots of mates
most of the kids went to the same school johanna
and Westminster which was around the corner from qb we were evacuated to swanage when the boming started
i have bin trying to find some information about waterloo school it was bombed in the war it was next to qb if someone
can remember the school

booby
20-05-2011, 3:19 PM
hello alan i have tryed loads of different sites for photos of old qb with no luck southwark library waste of time best site for waterloo road the cut lower marsh is lambeth places .com will you please send me some photos thanks kenneth DOT ives AT btinternet DOT com

lynn60
15-01-2012, 4:18 PM
Hello

This is my first day on this website and I have been fascinated by the thread on the above location. My family on my Father's side (Morris) was from there, and I would be delighted to hear any information or see any old pictures of the site that anyone can provide. I have already been down the library in the Cut but to no avail.

Thank you

percys sue
22-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Hello. I hope this goes straight to Alan Redpath . I am your cousin Susan , percys daughter) , i stumbled on this forum as ive been trying to find out about Quinns Square. Really hope you are all well and would be great to hear from you .

Mutley
22-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Try clicking on the user name for Alan, a drop down menu will appear and you can send him a private message.

Good Luck.

Alsarw45
24-01-2012, 8:57 PM
Quinn Buildings were pulled down in late 1971. I know this because I managed to buy from the man who was part of the demolition crew the WEBBER ROW sign on the wall on the side of one block for a fiver. Unfortunately it went missing when my car was stolen!

Dickie49
30-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Does anyone out there have any memories of Quinns Buildings before they were demolished?
Or any other memories of that area?
Pauline

Hi
My cousin lived in quinn buildings with his mother in the 1960s, I don't remember the number and I dont remember the buildings being so great, they lived on the top floor (no lifts then) and shared the toilets with another family. They had a living room with the sink and cooker in the corner and one bedroom, my cousin slept in the chair. I lived in Webber Row (Clapton Buildings )with my grandparents my grandfather was a Metropolitan Water Board Turncock and there was an enamel sign with this on fixed to the wall outside our flat, I suppose anyone remembers seeing this.

pagey
15-06-2012, 5:40 PM
hi everyone
found this site by accident - amazed by the references to QB. My paternal grandmother and her family lived at 158 QB - the Bird family. Great grandmother Bird raised 7 kids in the 2 roomed flat. i remember vividly going there every Saturday afternoon - all the family were there. Can clearly remember the awful smell coming from the rubbish bins in the center of the square.

Alsarw45
16-06-2012, 1:49 AM
Hi Pagey

We knew the Birds very well. My wife lived almost next door to them. I remember Johnny and Dickie one of whom I believe was not too well. As my wife is sound asleep at this time 02.47 I shall ask her about them in the morniing. Any way its good to hear from someone with tangible links to the Bldgs. Cheers Alan

aderyn
28-07-2012, 7:20 PM
Hi Pagey.
My Cousin and Aunt lived in Quinn Bldgs in the 50s-60s, I lived in Webber Row with my Grandparents also named Bird, did not know that there was another family called Bird in the area, as my grandfather had several brothers, I wonder if there may be a connection.

Alsarw45
29-07-2012, 8:23 AM
Hi Adeyn

I also lived in the square around the timeline you have mentioned and also lived in Webber Row in Delarch house. I have a few photos and electors registers for QB. If you send me your email address. I will forward all the stuff I have.

Best wishes
Alan Webber

alsarw45 AT yahoo DOT com

aderyn
29-07-2012, 3:39 PM
Hi Alan.
Your name rings a bell with me (somewhere in the distant past) I would love to see the info you have, I have not been able to find anything re Webber row. I lived in Clapton Buildings with mt grandparents No 10a, There was an enamel sign on the wall outside which said -Metripolitan Turncock, That referred to my grandfather.
Fred Bird
frederickbird AT rocketmail DOT com

brenda clarke
31-07-2012, 4:14 PM
hi alan hope you dont mind but saw your email which says you have electors register for qb.i would love to see it , if you could email me with it i would be gratful, i am trying to find anythink about my family the clarkes , my dad dont seem to have a birth certificate which dont help, many thanks brenda clarke

pagey
31-07-2012, 6:14 PM
Hi Adeyn

no one in the family ever mentioned any other Bird related family. But they had big families in those days so I think it is unlikely that my GGrandfather was an only child! i have a picture of him in his WWI army uniform - if you send me your email I will forward it to you.
It might be that we are distantly related but I am not sure how to find out if my GGrandfather had any brothers.

cheers

aderyn
01-08-2012, 6:50 AM
Hi Pagey
That would be good, also if you could give me his name, I have the names of all my grandfathers brothers, would be interested to see if there was a connection.
frederickbird AT rocketmail DOT com
Fred

Alsarw45
01-08-2012, 7:10 AM
hi alan hope you dont mind but saw your email which says you have electors register for qb.i would love to see it , if you could email me with it i would be gratful, i am trying to find anythink about my family the clarkes , my dad dont seem to have a birth certificate which dont help, many thanks brenda clarke
Hi Brenda
Please send me your e-mail address and I will will be pleased to send you the electoral roll I have. I am at alsarw45 at yahoo dot com. Look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes. Alan

Ohanlon
02-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Hi
Just stumbled across this forum. I found out today through the 1911 census that my great grandfather and family (wife plus 7 children) lived in 3 rooms in 196 Quinn Square. Any pictures or info you may have would be really helpful, we are currently researching this side of the family.
Regards
Lesley

Alsarw45
03-09-2012, 8:02 AM
Hi Lesley
If you send me your e-mail address to alsarw45atyahoodotcom. I will send you the stuff you are looking for.
Best wishes.
Alan

Andre
25-09-2012, 3:22 PM
Only just got round to lookin at 1911 census and found my Father was living at 1 Quinns Square as a 7 year old with his parents and younger sister. First time I had ever heard of it but he did mention "The Cut" and Peabody buildings although I never went to this area being brought up in Norfolk.
Andre

7 block
12-02-2013, 2:06 PM

hi mick do you remember me,Terry Campbell.

7 block
12-02-2013, 4:39 PM
Alan my name is terry i think you may remember me you were part of the gang of the kids back in the 50s

Alsarw45
13-02-2013, 5:22 AM
Hi Terry
At this time I can't say that I remember you. However that is not unusual as
Having just turned sixty eight. You say you lived on top of block the caretaker lived in. That would be four block. My email is alsarw45atyahoodotcom if you would like to email me I have a few bits and pieces of the bldgs. I will also send you my phone no so we can talk and perhaps turn up more memories.
Best wishes

Alan

TJHUSSEYIN
27-07-2017, 2:45 PM
Hi Pauline,
I was born in 1963 in Quinns Buildings, I went to school at St Patricks catholic school in waterloo, my older sister worked in a supermarket on the waterloo road ( I think it was called David Greggs or Craigs ) We were one of the last families to move out. We moved to Bermodsey in 1970 and Quinns buildings were demolished shortly after, so i reckon it was around 1970/71. We moved to Ireland in 1975.
I went back to visit some of the old places.....ie schools,churchs,etc and where Quinns buildings used to be NOW stands London Ambulance HQ.
Being so young at the time i still have a image of what it looked liked, I remember names of places like Peabody,Labeth Baths,Queens Buildings ect.
I can still remember shops acroos the road from Quinns and some of the people, we lived in 146 Quinns Buildings for approx 3yrs and then got a transfer to 93 Quinns Buildings ( Not so many flights of stairs ) But i still remember a hard working and very nice community.
Anyway i think i have gone on enough ........Hope this helps, Its nice to have a place to share memories. Regards Jamesd
Hello everyone on here i was wondering if you could be of help to me , does anyone on here remember a turkish family that lived in Quinn buildings i was born 1964 my name is Anthony my mothers name was Katherine Staples i am trying to trace my family she was irish that is all i know , if anyone can help me it would very much appreciatted , thankyou ....

christanel
27-07-2017, 8:10 PM
Hello Anthony and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
I am not quite sure yet how we are going to treat your post. It is definitely related to the Quinn's building thread but is asking about tracing your family, particularly your mother. Did you not live with your mother? This raises the question, is your mother still alive? If so then any information found by our members must be forwarded by our private message system. Click on the poster's avatar and choose private message from the drop down menu.
Christina

SteveLeigh
12-02-2018, 12:06 PM
Hi Mick
Sorry I haven't been in touch sooner. I do a lot of house sitting now and have just returned from a 'sit'. Being busy with that I have also not been on this site for ages.
I certainly can't remember any skylights in Quinn Buildings or any in Queen's Buildings come to that. I will see what you directed me to on UTube as I would very much like to see that film.
None of my family lived in Quinn Buildings. My grandmother lived over the shops in Waterloo Rd, but I did know Lil Strong and her daughter Ray who lived in Quinns - you say you knew the Strongs. The Buildings should not have been pulled down.
Best wishes Pauline

Lil Strong was my gran/Nan and Ray was my mum. I have vague memories of the buildings when a was a toddler but my older brother probably remembers more. Lil left us when I was around 12 and my mum Ray left us in 2015. Mum ended up being a major part of the South London community and now has a community hall named after her in John Ruskin Street. It was some send off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQbF1YP1TOA&t=930s

brenda clarke
14-01-2019, 2:48 PM
Hi Steve I have just gone back on this site .I remember your nan and mum I was born in the flat above them they use to look after and take me out they were friends with my dad alf/tick Clarke.I remember them taking me hop picking. Best wishes brenda

brenda clarke
27-01-2019, 11:39 PM
does anyone remember the Clarke family there was mary olive Alfred Bert and there mum Mary .I lived thereto Brenda above Lillian strong and the Berwick family.

colin_w
27-02-2019, 7:42 AM
I have just joined the forum and I am wondering if anyone remembers or knows anything about Alfred R Hardwick (also known as Dick). According to his Army record, his last known address was 142 Quinn Square and he appears there on the electoral register from 1948 to 1951. He was born around 1900, so would have been around 50 when he was living there. I am interested because he is my grandfather and this address is the last information that we have about him.
There is a Lilian M Strong who shows at the same address on the electoral register for these years and afterwards. I have seen this name on the forum but not sure if it would be the same one.

christanel
27-02-2019, 6:40 PM
Welcome to Brit-Gen
Is this the death registration of your grandfather?
Alfred R Hardwick
Age at at death 58
born about 1900
Registration Date: March 1958
Registration district: Fulham, London
Vol 5c Page 567

Did he marry a Dorothy Goldsmith? They are together on the 1939 register. She died in Derbyshire in 1976.

You have the above information but are just wanting to find out what happend to him between 1951 and 1958?
Christina

colin_w
27-02-2019, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Christina, but I am afraid it is not. This is another Alfred Robert Hardwick, but I do know about him and there is a link. This Alfred Robert Hardwick was in the RAF and married Dorthy Blanche Goldsmith on 5 June 1927. My grandfather married Lilian Alice Sullivan using the name Richard Robert Hardwick on 6 June 1927. You can find them in the 1939 register in South Harrow. He served with the Queen's Royal West Surreys for 20 years from 1918 and then rejoined at the outbreak of WW2. In his army record he used the name Alfred Robert Hardwick and gave the same next of kin and address as the Alfred Robert Hardwick that you found above. It is quite confusing. I know nothing about him before 1917 or after 1951.