PDA

View Full Version : Did my ancestor serve in the Crimea?

yelkcub
07-03-2010, 6:54 PM
I was recently told that a family member WILLIAM TAYLOR, son of a baker from Stockport, served in the Crimean War, though at present I have no way of knowing whether this is fact or family legend. My informant told me that WT was wounded, though he appears in the 1871 census with a wife who was born in (I think) Logie, Perthshire. In 1871 William Taylor was following the family occupation, bread baker.
I would value any information or tips on how I might discover if this man really did serve in the Crimean War. This is new territory to me and I have little idea of where to start.
With thanks for any help
Ian

Procat
08-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Hi Ian,

This site appears to have lots of information about researching the Crimean War

http://
cwrs.russianwar.co.uk/cwrsentry.html

Geoffers
08-03-2010, 7:35 AM
Have a read of these research guides (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp#b)on TNA's web-site - click on the links prefixed 'British Army' - the records are being digitally scanned with a view to being put online.

This thread (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?35481-How-to-find-some-British-Army-records)tells you how to find some British Army records

yelkcub
08-03-2010, 6:38 PM
Many thanks for both replies and suggestions, which I shall follow up when I get back home. There seems to be a Scottish dimension in William Taylor's story: for the 1861 census he was living in Stirling with a Scots wife called Ann; in 1871 he was back home in Stockport with a wife called Margaret, also Scots. At present I can't think of a reason why he was in Scotland, unless it had to do with his military service. This was a 100% stick-at-home family. I looked in the 1861 census for the birth years of his children: if any of them had been born during the years of the Crimean conflict, that would have made the story I've recently heard more improbable - however, his first child seems to have been born about a year after the end of the war.
Ian

Lawrence W. Crider
16-03-2010, 2:57 AM
As there were 13 men named William Taylor on the Casualty Rolls for the Crimean War that were wounded and another who was missing in action, you have a monumental task ahead of you. If you look on the internet at Asplin Military History Resources, you will find a complete listing of the casualties list of the Crimean War listed alphabetically. That way you can get the list of wounded William Taylors as well as their regiments. Using his age from the census return you could guess at about what time he entered the army and search the regimental records (at Kew) for his enlistment date and related information, but it is very hit and miss, and almost impossible if you do not live near London. Unfortunately, there were roughly 100,000+ men who served in the Crimea, and a lot of William Taylors.

yelkcub
17-03-2010, 9:38 AM
I can't thank you enough for this informative reply, which will greatly assist me in finding out whether a family legend has any truth in it. The legend includes the important detail that William was wounded (or possibly, like so many of the troops sent to the Crimea, ill from disease), and that when he returned to Stockport his mother did not at first recognise him. I have his age, and know that he lived in Stockport, to which he had returned by the time of the 1871 census. I further know that there may be connections with the Stirling area of Scotland. That ought to narrow it down somewhat, beginning with the Asplin Military History Resources you brought to my attention.
Thanks and best wishes
Ian