PDA

View Full Version : Hampstead Heath

thesearcher
05-03-2010, 9:23 AM
Does anyone else have a relative who attended the International Boys School in Hampstead Heath? My g uncle went there. He was born in 1876 so was probably there in the years between 1882-1892 or so. I cannot find any references to it via google or on line history webite.
Can anyone advise me on how I might find out more?

Kerrywood
05-03-2010, 9:55 AM
Does this link (http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22657) help at all?

Can you find him in 1891 -- or is that part of the problem?

thesearcher
05-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks but no I cannot find reference to the school there. I know more about my G. uncle but only recently found out he attended this particular school. I was interested in finding out more about it. It sounds a little progressive dont you think?

Kerrywood
05-03-2010, 11:15 AM
As far as I can see, it's not listed under that name in the comprehensive new edition of London Schools and their Records (Cliff Webb).

There are (and always have been) huge numbers of schools in the Hampstead area, including many small and short-lived private ones.

Perhaps it also had another name? You could try asking Camden Local Studies (http://www.camden.gov.uk/ccm/navigation/leisure/local-history/) if they've ever come across it? They're closed next week, so best do it today. :wink5:

Geoffers
05-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Kerrywood's answer is the one to follow, but in the meantime, via the 1881/1891 census (in which you've presumably located your chap at the school), is the headmaster listed at the top of the schedule?

If he is, can you locate him (or the school from its address in the census) in any directories (Kelly's, Post Office, etc) to establish the period in which the school existed? Try historic-directories web-site, or purchase directores on CD from The Parish Chest.

With its postal address, you may be able to find it under a different name in later records or even if the property still survives today. If it survives today as some form of institution, its records may be deposited in some archive.