PDA

View Full Version : St James Church, Gorton, Manchester.

ste62b
01-03-2010, 9:46 PM
Can anyone tell me which of the James's is the patron saint of Gorton chapel, and what does St James Tyde refer too?
Many Thanks

Steve.

Jack Richards
02-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Hi Steve
Welcome to this forum(s).

Whilst I cannot answer your question with the limited information you provide, I respectfully suggest you "google" (or other search aid) and St. James Parish Church, Gorton will come up and you find several sites that will provide you with information.

I know the said church, my wife was baptised there. It still stands almost (well "at" really) the junction of Gorton Lane and Cambert Lane (Church Lane as was).

It is the Parish Church and was previously known as St. Thomas.

You are only "up the road" at Whitefield. I suspect the Local Studies at Central Library, Manchester (if still open - renovation) will have plenty of info. especially the parish records.

Also, the County Record office, Marshall Street, near to bottom of Oldham Road. Gorton Library may have "bits and bobs" of info.

Hope this helps and sets you on the right trail.

Kindest regards

Peter Goodey
02-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Jack's the man with the knowledge.

All I would add is to draw to your attention this site (which is worth bookmarking) -

http://www.genuki.org.uk/

This is the first stop for such genealogical queries. If you follow the links through the site, you'll get to a page of information about St James.

Jack Richards
20-03-2010, 9:08 AM
Hi Steve aka ste62b

I wonder if the two replies above were helpful to you and if you have managed to solve your query?

Regards