PDA

View Full Version : Veal family in Wellow/singlehill

Lisaveal
23-04-2005, 1:39 PM
Hi,

I am researching my family tree at the moment with my father and we know a lot of our family was from Wellow in somerset. I am using ancestry but that only goes back to the 1870 census. I was wondering if anyone has any information previous to that.

Our family members are Horatio and Rhoda Veal who had three sons, George, Thomas and Charles. Charles is my great great grandfather. Rhoda's maiden name is Pearce and her father was also called Charles.

Charles Veal married Mary and had a large family of around eight children and the whole family were living in single hill mainly working as coal miners. Thomas though owned a pub called the eagle inn in Elm and ran that along with the attached farm.

Basically I am looking for any earlier information anyone may have and would be grateful for any help at all.

Kind regards

Lisa Veal

Stewart
26-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi

The 1851 census has the following entries for Veal in Wellow:

VEAL George 29 Coal Miner Writhlington, Som.
Ann 30 Writhlington, Som.
Elsee Daughter 2 Wellow, Som.
LINES George Brother in Law 24 Coal Miner Writhlington, Som.
Joseph 19 Coal Miner Brother in Law Writhlington, Som.
TREASURE Deborah Niece 16 Writhlington, Som.
VEAL Horatio 27 Coal Miner Writhlington, Som.
Rhoda 21 Buckland
Ann 1 Wellow, Som.

If you give me your email address I'll send you an image as it's too big to use B-G.

I also have a copy of the 1841 census but there is no index so I'll have to look through manually.

Regards

Stewart

Stewart
26-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi

The 1841 census is much harder to read I'm afraid. The only one's I can see are Wm Veale (aged 70), a farmer, and Edith (although it migh be Elith) (aged 65)

and

John Veal (aged 25), a coal miner, Mary, aged 20, and Eliza aged 2

Again, I can send you the files if required.

There are quite a few Veal's living in East Bath in the 1851 census if you want the details.

Stewart

Lisaveal
26-04-2005, 8:59 PM
Thanks so much for the information Stewart, I have sent you a private message with my email address

Patrisia
30-04-2005, 7:29 PM
Hi Lisa,

Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner (email ) but I noticed that you had some help here.

I have the Somerset 1861 census, did anyone offer anything from that?

Of course it is not indexed but if you could give me some specific places, I’m happy to have a look for you.

My VEALE/VEAL line are almost entirely from the Axbridge area, so I can’t help much there, though if you get back to the 1740s let me know, I’m stuck for a connection from there to other VEAL lines.

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Georgia">There are also VEAL/(E)s in Wedmore, Chewton Mendip and Chew Magna etc, I have a list of very early reports, if you want to get AN> 1861 census, did anyone offer anything from that?

Of course it is not indexed but if you could give me some specific places, I’m happy to have a look for you.

My VEALE/VEAL line are almost entirely from the Axbridge area, so I can’t help much there, though if you get back to the 1740s let me know, I’m stuck for a connection from there to other VEAL lines.

There are also VEAL/(E)s in Wedmore, Chewton Mendip and Chew Magna etc, I have a list of very early reports, if you want to get that far back.

Patrisia

Patrisia
30-04-2005, 7:30 PM
Sorry about that, I should have known better than to cut & paste!:o

Stewart
03-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Have you seen that the 1861 census is now available at Ancestry?

Stewart

Lisaveal
26-06-2005, 6:45 PM
Yes I have thanks Stewart and thanks for your help patrisia!!

PamC
09-10-2005, 3:32 PM
Hi,

I am researching my family tree at the moment with my father and we know a lot of our family was from Wellow in somerset.

Lisa, my VEAL family is from Wellow, as well. I have to run, but will return later today with further information.

PamC
10-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Hello Lisa
My Veal/Veale family is from Wellow.
I am only back to about 1764, John Veal b: Chewton Mendip, wife Mary.
Children: Mary 1804, Green 1806, John 1808, William 1810, Sarah 1812, all born Norton Malreward.
Other places in my direct line are Priston, Clutton, Kelston, Brislington, all Bristol area.
In 1851 Green Veal had a 250 acre farm in Wellow, wife Sarah.
They had six children: Thomas, Green, William, John, Louisa and George.
Does any of this interest you?
Pam