PDA

View Full Version : Census lookup: Laurence SHORROCK, weaver

Endsor
23-04-2005, 12:43 PM
I need some help tracing Laurence (or Lawrence) SHORROCK, weaver, and hope someone - anyone - can find him on the 1841, 1851, and 1861 Censuses.

He was born c.1790. His daughter, Jane SHORROCK was said (on the 1861 Census, at least) to have been born in Manchester c.1819. She married William ENDSOR in 1840, but does not appear in the 1841 Census household of her husband for some reason.

Here he is in 1871:
----
1871 Census: h. Hole Green, Mellor, Lancashire
Richard SMITH; head; age 40; widower; b. Osbaldeston, Lancashire; cotton weaver
John SMITH; son; age 9; b. Mellor, Lancashire
Laurence SHORROCK; lodger; age 80; widower; b. Clayton le dale, Lancashire; cotton weaver
----

And he died the following year:
----
Registration District: Blackburn. 1872. Death in the sub-district of Blackburn in the County of Lancaster. Eleventh October 1872, Union Workhouse, Blackburn; Lawrence SHORROCK; male; 82 years; Cotton Handloom Weaver; General Debility, Diarrhea 4 days. Certified; X The mark of Jonathan WOOD. Present at the Death, Union Workhouse, Blackburn; registered: Twelfth October 1872
----

But this is all I know. I know of at least one other Lawrence SHORROCK out there, but he was a publican.

houghj40
12-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Is this the person you are looking for
Charles Dowahan 1814 Mellor, Lancashire, England Son-in-law Preston Lancashire
Mary Dowahan 1818 Dutton, Lancashire, England Daughter Preston Lancashire
Margret Gregson 1842 Preston, Lancashire, England Daughter Preston Lancashire
Robert Gregson 1801 Ribchester, Lancashire, England Head Preston Lancashire
Lawrence Sharrock 1796 Clayton le Woods, Lancashire, England Cousin Preston Lancashire
Source information: RG9/3135
Registration district: Preston
Sub-registration district: Preston
ED, institution, or vessel: 42
Folio: 133
Page: 35 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 230 l

Endsor
13-05-2005, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the message and the link. This might be the same man, but at this point it's hard to tell. As far as I know, though, the several other Lawrence SHORROCKs (and all their variant spellings) on the 1861 census aren't of the right age or profession - but there's always a chance that the one I'm after died before 1861. But I'll add the data to my stockpile and see if I can't form a convincing portrait eventually.