PDA

View Full Version : Palm T3

Hollytree
27-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Until now I have been using a Palm pc (Tungsten E) for my portable family history. I have easily downloaded my gedcom onto a programme (Gedwise) and from there transferred it to my handheld.

But, my husband has upgraded me! and now I cannot do anything......... I have a new 'puter with XP, and Office 2007.

He also has given me a new Palm pc T3. I cannot 'hot sync' at all with Office 2007, and therefore am reluctant to even consider using any software that transfers gedcoms either. I have tried all the sites that so call give help with sync with Outlook, but nothing so far has proved to work. When I try to sync the handheld with my new computer I find the hand held just 'hangs there' until I hard reset it...........

So at the mo' I have my family tree on a old laptop, as well as my main 'puter....... have to make sure that the laptop is uptodate, hotsync it with my old Tungsten E, so that I can carry family history with me when I visit archives etc.

Is there anyone out there who understands what else I can try?

MalcolmAusten
01-03-2010, 7:31 PM
Until now I have been using a Palm pc (Tungsten E) for my portable family history. I have easily downloaded my gedcom onto a programme (Gedwise) and from there transferred it to my handheld.

But, my husband has upgraded me! and now I cannot do anything......... I have a new 'puter with XP, and Office 2007.

He also has given me a new Palm pc T3. I cannot 'hot sync' at all with Office 2007,

I don't understand the implied connection between Office 2007 and Gedwise?

So at the mo' I have my family tree on a old laptop, as well as my main 'puter....... have to make sure that the laptop is uptodate, hotsync it with my old Tungsten E, so that I can carry family history with me when I visit archives etc.

Is there anyone out there who understands what else I can try?

Why not install GEDwise on the new computer and the T3? Then you can continue more or less as before surely?

Malcolm, who a T3 but decided on MyRoots for carrying his tree around..

Hollytree
01-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Hi
I thought that I hadn't made myself clear as there was no answers............there isn't any implied connection with Office 2007 and gedwise......... it's the connection between Outlook and the T3 hotsync, it just won't do it. I have installed 'updates' from Palm without any success.

I think that it is a problem between Outlook 2007, and the T3 which is maybe too old for Office 2007........maybe instead of opting for Outlook 2007 I had chosen the Palm software including the calendar and contacts that they provide I may not have had problems, but becos I have all my contacts/calendar set up with Outlook I want to keep using it

So until I can get my T3 and Outlook etc speaking to one another I just cannot install gedwise onto the new T3. So as I said at the moment to make sure that I at least have some geneaology at my fingertips I am using the laptop that has Office 2000 and hot syncs with my old Tungsten E.

Anne

MalcolmAusten
02-03-2010, 2:31 PM
So until I can get my T3 and Outlook etc speaking to one another I just cannot install gedwise onto the new T3.

Anne,

I can see nothing on the GEDwise web site to suggest it depends in anyway on being able to hotsync with Outlook. Outlook seems to me to be a red herring (or a lame duck, depending on your point of view!)

Just get hotsync and GEDwise installed and you'll be able to carry your database around with you on the T3.

That said, I'll stick with MyRoots which allows me to do data entry on the T3.

= Malcolm.

Hollytree
02-03-2010, 3:57 PM
But if I cannot hot sync at all with my computer and the T3 I cannot do any updating in any app.................... grrrrrrrrrrrr.

I looked at MyRoots once, but the temptation to update that instead of my main data (Brothers Keeper) made me opt for Gedwise.......... I know that if the data isn't up to date when at the record office, but I do update fairly regulary and prefer not to have that option, I know what I would do, and then get thoroughly confused !

Thanks

Anne

MalcolmAusten
03-03-2010, 10:23 AM
But if I cannot hot sync at all with my computer and the T3 ...

Oh, well, if you had said that ... you said you could not hotsync between the T3 and Office2007 and so ,by implication, you could hotsync with other things.

What is preventing you hotsyncing the T3? ... is the T3 software installed on the PC? ... is there an error message?

= Malcolm.

Hollytree
03-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Yes have loaded the software provided and all, but get this:

A generic system error on the handheld.
OLERR:0D-0004
OLERR:0D-0001
- Not Synchronized
Outlook Calendar synchronization failed

OLERR:15-0002
OLERR:06-0001
Outlook Contacts
Request failed because there are too many open databases.
OLERR:02-0001
OLERR:0D-0004
OLERR:0D-0001
- Not Synchronized
Outlook Contacts synchronization failed

This is just cut and pasted from my hotsync log........... I think it is becos T3's software hasn't caught up with Outlook 2007..... I have gone into Palm help, downloaded an 'add on' patch which I/we thought would work, but no............:confused5:

Anne

MalcolmAusten
04-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I've never tried to have Outlook sync'd on my T3 so I'll have to drop out of this with just the final suggestion that perhaps you can disable the Outlook sync and concentrate on gettting the rest sync'd.

= Malcolm.