PDA

View Full Version : Photo Question

Aussie Shep
24-02-2010, 6:16 AM
my great aunt has emailed me a selection of photos.
One of the photos is of my mum and nan it is a great photo one that my mum has no memory of. my question is it has some slight fading and is creased. do I need to have the original photo for it to be repaired? as I have only a copy from email is there anything I can do to make it look cleaner.
Thanks.

Peter Goodey
24-02-2010, 7:42 AM
If it's a good copy that's all you need. Then you'll need some photo editing software. You can spend a lot of money on it or I use GIMP which is free and available for many platforms including MS-Windows.
gimp.org/ (put www. in front)

If the copy you have is of poor resolution, ask for it to be scanned again at higher resolution.

Aussie Shep
24-02-2010, 7:58 AM
Cheers Peter, am on the website now.

Peter Goodey
24-02-2010, 8:26 AM
If a project associated with the Free Software Foundation asks for voluntary donations from the public, is it now classed as 'commercial' in the eyes of B-G?

Jan1954
24-02-2010, 8:30 AM
If a project associated with the Free Software Foundation asks for voluntary donations from the public, is it now classed as 'commercial' in the eyes of B-G?The Acceptable User Policy (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/announcement.php?f=402) states:

Links to commercial sites, (any site which has, or offers by advertising, items, donations or services for sale) including pay per view sites, or having a commercial link as a signature are strictly forbidden and will be removed without warning.

Peter Goodey
24-02-2010, 9:51 AM
I suppose I'm the only one who's amazed.

Aussie Shep
24-02-2010, 9:54 AM
everyone wants their 5cents worth.

MarkJ
24-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Rules is rules - whilst the Gimp is a great open source project (one which I use myself), they *do* ask for donations which unfortunately falls foul of the AUP here on the forum.

Many websites ask for donations - some for development costs, some for hosting costs etc - and, because of the wide ranging reasons for such requests, we have a rule to cover all such sites. Otherwise we would be trying to balance between what is or is not a valid reason for requesting donations.
All the rules ask is that any website mentioned which is commercial or asks for donations etc is not linked to directly with a clicky hyperlink. Dropping the www. bit is perfectly OK.

Mark