PDA

View Full Version : Lovett, Daveney & Bush families

Batty
22-04-2005, 3:21 PM
Hi is anyone researching any of the above names? I have a Robert Debney (Daveny) Lovett who stated that he came from Norwich in the censuses. He was born circa 1831 and was living in London by 1867. At some stage he married Elizabeth Beisley who was born in Shillingford, Oxford but no marriage has been found. I have tracked down a William Lovett (Lovat) who married Susanna Daveney (a widow) at Colton in 1772. They produced among others a son Daveney Lovett in 1777 again at Colton. Daveney married Sarah Luck in 1801 at Honingham. He died in 1838 at Norfolk Lunatic Asylum. I am almost certain that my Robert Debney Lovett - his name appears to have corrupted from Daveney according to the Parish records of his children's baptisms - is the son of this Daveney if not a nephew.

Bush is the surname of the woman who married William Armstrong Clark and her christian names are found as either Rose Mary or Mary Rose. Again in the censuses she just puts Norfolk as her place of birth which is circa 1806. The couple are found in the 1841 census in London with a son born in 1831 in Lambeth. Again no marriage has yet been found.

If anyone can help or claim any relationship I will be pleased to hear from them.

Batty (in East Sussex)

Geoffers
22-04-2005, 11:19 PM
No connection, but in a few idle moments browsed the 1851 census transcript for Norfolk. I can't find Robert LOVETT , or Sarah LOVETT (widow) in Nofolk then. The DAVENEY family from Colton that you mentioned seem to be present and rather wealthy:

HO107/1817 f92 p11
Colton
Henry DEVENEY, Head, Widr, 84, Landed Proprietor, Colton
Burton DEVENEY, Son, Mar, 50, Major Army, Colton
John DEVENEY, Son, Unm, 47, Farm of 300 Acres Imploying 8 Lab, Colton
Maryant DEVENEY, GDau, , 8, Scholar, Mattishall
Letitia GOLDING, Serv, Unm, 25, House Servant, Swanton Morley
Elizabeth WYMER, Serv, Unm, 20, House Servant, Costessey
WilliamBENWICK, Serv, Unm, 24, House Servant

continued......

Geoffers
22-04-2005, 11:26 PM
and other 1851 census returns:

HO107/1824 f218 p46
Yaxham Road, Mattishall
Fanny DAVENEY, Head, Wid, 35, Annuitant, Birmingham-WAR
Katharine DAVENEY, Daur, , 14, Scholar At Home, Mattishall
Edward DAVENEY, Son, , 11, Scholar, Mattishall
Horatio DAVENEY, Son, , 9, Scholar At Home, Mattishall
Charles DAVENEY, Son, , 5, ---, Mattishall
Annie DAVENEY, Daur, , 2, ---, Mattishall

HO107/1817 f111 p25
Church Road, Barnham Broom
Henry DAVENEY, Head, Unm, 30, Curate of Colton, Swafield

I also looked at PIGOT & COs 1830 Directory of Norfolk. In Norwich there is just one LOVETT entry:

Henry LOVETT, Spnish White Manufacturer of Common Pump Street, Norwich.
He is shown there as being at the Kings Head.

continued......

Geoffers
22-04-2005, 11:32 PM
There are 30+ LOVETTS in the 1851 census but with no other information, it is difficult to pinpoint if any are related. In view of the possible connection with Colton, one entry struck me as possibly relevant:

HO107/1816 f109 p9
Self's Yard, Norwich St.Lawrence
Thomas LOVETT, Head, Mar, 41, Hay Trusser, Colson
Harriet LOVETT, Wife, Mar, 31, ---, Brecon Ash
Sarah Ann LOVETT, Daur, , 4, ---, Norwich
Thomas LOVETT, Son, , 1, ---, Norwich

Bearing in mind this is from a transcript, it could be that the birthplace of Thomas Lovett is Colton and has been misread.

However a family which produces the likes of a Hay trusser seem unlikely to be connected to a Landed Proprietor's family.

Geoffers

frederickay
06-05-2006, 1:40 AM
hi i am just staring to find my lovett family . all i have is jane lovett born battersea 1853 . i will be able to find her husbands name in near future. is there any Janes in your tree around that time in london . thanks . jan