PDA

View Full Version : 1871 Census Look up for Thomas Traynor

Vronnie
21-04-2005, 8:30 PM
Hi

I started researching my family history a few months ago. I have joined the MLFHS and this is my first posting to this forum.

At the moment I am concentrating on my Great Grandfather, Thomas Traynor, born 1857 Manchester. I have found him on the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census living in Liverpool, but got stuck on 1871. His father was William Traynor and I am hoping to find the name of his mother and their birth place (could be Ireland) from the 1871 info.

Can anyone help.

Thanks

Di&Trev
21-04-2005, 9:09 PM
Hi Vronnie
Had a look on ancestry 1871 census but I don't think its going to be very helpful. :(
There were several likely contenders but on checking they did not have a William as a father. The only one that was left unfortunately dosen't have any info at all as he was at school. Here it is anyway. Maybe someone else will have more luck. I hope so.
Name: Thomas Traynor
Age in 1871: 13
Estimated birth year: 1858
Relation: Pupil
Household: Government School. No address given.
Where born: Manchester, Lancashire, England
Civil Parish or Township: Chorlton on Medlock
Ecclesiastical parish: All Saints
County/Island: Lancashire
Source information: RG10/3987
Registration district: Chorlton
Sub-registration district: Chorlton upon Medlock
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Folio: 107
Page: 33
Household schedule number: 152

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

uksearch
22-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Just to be sure are you talking about the Thomas TRAYNOR on RG 11 3665 filio 66 the Elem Sch Teacher?

UK

Vronnie
25-04-2005, 2:14 PM
Thank You very much for the replies.

Yes to uksearch reply; Thomas Traynor was an elementary school teacher and then Headmaster of a school in Liverpool called St Bridgets.

In reply to Di&Trev I also found that on my research but as you say it does not give the name of the school. It could possibly be correct as I believe he would have to have received a decent education for those days as he went on to become a school teacher.

I am re applying for a couple of birth certificates from the registry office on a visit to Manchester on Wednesday (the first one I tried wasn't the right Thomas Traynor) hoping that will give me some more information.

Also I am waiting for 1837online to publish the 1861 census to see if that reveals anything. I believe Lancashire is one of the next ones to go live.

Thank you once again

Veronica

uksearch
26-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Here is the 1871 entry (part) which will give you a few more clues.

RG 10 3987 folios 106 & 107
41 Sydney St ,C on M "Orphans home"
Thomas QUICK..H..U..Roman Catholic Priest..Blackburn
John CARNEY..Master..M..Govenor Institution..Manchester
Julia CARNEY..Master..M..Matron..Ireland

There is an assitant teacher and several young men aged about 21 all tradesmen then the younger boys are listed

Thomas TRAYNOR..??? Pupil..13..Pupil Teacher in Gov Sch..Manchester

I'll check in the TD...the name of the school should be there.

UK

Vronnie
26-04-2005, 6:53 PM
Thank you uksearch for your reply.

What is the TD? "name of school should be there"

Veronica

uksearch
27-04-2005, 1:25 PM
TD is my short hand for Trade Directory.Actually this school is bit of a mystery.There were 7 staff and 46 pupils.In the 1869 TD the entry for 41 Sydney St is DAVIESON David patent medicine vendor and by 1874 the listing is JEWS' SYNAGOGUE.The 1871 TD doesn't list it in the schools section and even Fr Quick is listed at Chapel House,Granby Row.There is no mention of the school in the Archive index.The Archivist here Jo robson told me that she a similar experience with a school some time back.She seems to think that it may have moved from year to year.

UK

Vronnie
28-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Hi to uksearch,

I too was at the library yesterday and having guessed that TD stood for Trade Directories, began to have a look at them.

Like you I could'nt find anything on a school in Sidney Street so it is going to remain a mystery for now. I just hope I can get something from the 1861 census when he would have been about three years old. I am really interested to find out if his parents were Irish as we had been told as kids that he was Irish but all the info I have found definitley has him born in Manchester.
Also had another go at ordering a birth certificate for him from the Registry Office.
Funny enough I found the burial info this week so it would be great if I could find more on his birth.

Very addictive and completley absorbing.

Thanks for you help

Veronica

uksearch
28-04-2005, 1:32 PM
DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The school is more than likely to be St Augustine's or at least it forerunner.St Augustine's RC church was in Granby Row.

UK

uksearch
28-04-2005, 4:48 PM
I have also discovered that there was a National School in Granby Row.The problem now is the distance between Granby Row,London Road and Sydney St,C on M. Incidently the next time that you go to MCL check the Computerised Images Collection in the LSU.There are more than 50,000 images of Manchester and close by, including 6 of Sidney St.

UK

uksearch
29-04-2005, 1:11 PM
I checked on the map last night Sidney st and Granby Row are quite closeI have just spent some time going through the Directory of Irish Born People and resident in Manchester and Salford in the 1861 Census vols 2 3 & 4 published by M & LFHS.I can't find William TRAYNOR.

UK

Vronnie
01-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi,

Thanks again for your reply and time in looking for this information.

I am a little confused now about whether I should be looking at Sidney Street or Granby Row.

Incidentally 1837online.com have just announced that 1861 Lancashire census has just been added to their archives.

Thanks

Veronica

uksearch
01-05-2005, 1:52 PM
Sidney St is where he appeared in the Census but I am checking school records for a school in Granby Row on Tuesday.

UK

uksearch
03-05-2005, 12:44 PM
I had a look at the records for the Granby Road School and seem to indicate that there was no connection with school at Sidney St.There were progress reports on named pupil teachers and Thomas TRAYNOR's name did not appear.

UK