PDA

View Full Version : A garden party - can anyone date this

lesleys
16-02-2010, 2:04 PM
http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx80/jlkwoof/holwellmanor.jpg

I think I know who some of the people are but a date would help - thanks

Gododdin
17-02-2010, 10:50 PM
It seems the leg of mutton sleeves came into style sometime in the 1890s; those and the hairstyles should place it a little more closely with some more expert opinion than mine. You could do worse than look at google images.
Godo

v.wells
18-02-2010, 12:37 AM
What a wonderful photo Lesleys! :) I would think mid to late 1890's, but I am not an expert.

lesleys
18-02-2010, 9:42 AM
I think it is earlier - the skirts seem too full for the 1890's. If she is who I think she is, the widow seated far left died in 1881. Two of her married daughters died in 1877 & 1883.
I can see more research is needed.
We do know the location of the house and of it's current (unrelated) occupants.

David Benson
18-02-2010, 9:52 AM
As you know the location - try looking at the address in the census about that time to see who was resident. This may give clues to who is in the photo.

lesleys
18-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Census info does not help unfortunately -
1861 Mary Ann and her 2 unmarried daughters, three unmarried sons and one grand-daughter
1871 Mary Ann one son and one grandson
1881 Mary Ann one son and his family inc 5 children under 10
1891 Son and family have moved to a new home aftre Mary Ann's death.

Which is why I suspect it to be around 1870-80 when her two married daughters could have been visiting.

David Annis
18-02-2010, 1:37 PM
Looking at the lady in white standing up on the right, she is wearing a dress over a frame and the gentleman is wearing a fashion that would suggest somewhere around 1860/70.
The photo is a set pose.
One lady sitting to the left, one lady sitting and one standing, two Lady's and a man standing.
Taken by the look of it, on a warm summers day, all the upstairs windows and the door are open.
The door has steps leading up to it and you can just see the windows below the steps, possibly kitchens and work places for the under-stair servants.
The attic rooms in the roof with windows would be for the staff.
The pond in front looks as it it has been made by widening a stream running past the house. The poor condition of the brickwork, general look of the pond and the overall picture, makes me think things have gone little threadbare.
Is this a private house or the residence of a gentleman farmer?
Nice photo though.
Cheers
Dave.

lesleys
18-02-2010, 4:50 PM
Thanks Dave - we're not too sure about the "water feature", the bridge no longer exists. you're spot on about the occupation - although he was a tenant, he farmed 770 acres employing 20 labourers in 1851 but died in 1859 - hence the lady far left in black!
I dont want to start a guessing game but if anyone is seriously interested in where it is please PM me.

daleaway
18-02-2010, 11:40 PM
My guess is around 1865, when the crinoline and full skirts were still being worn (but on their way out), but the bell shaped sleeves of the 1850s and early 1860s had been replaced by fitting sleeves, sometimes with puffy oversleeves at the top. The ladies' hairstyles look right for this date as well.
That's my five cents' worth.

Does it gel with what you know?

lesleys
19-02-2010, 3:21 PM
Thanks Daleaway, that's about what I had expected.