PDA

View Full Version : Catholic Nuns as teachers?

MandyLou
16-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Hello,

Sorry if this seems a silly question to ask, but I don't know much about the Catholic faith...:confused:

A couple of years ago I was in Hoddesdon cemetery with my grandfather putting flowers on his parents grave when he looked at a collection of small white crosses and said that one of the nuns buried there used to be his teacher. I think he name was Sister Mary or Sister Catherine..(narrows it down, I know..)

Does anyone know where I can find out about Catholic schools in the area of Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire in the late 1940's erly 1950's? I remember my grandad saying he didn't go to school very often because he didn't like it very much. (He didn't say why).

My grandad died two years ago now and I really wish I could have asked him this, but, you only think of these little things once the person with the knowledge passes on.

Thank you.
:)

SBSFamilyhistory
16-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Daft question but what do you want to know.

I am also not catholic but can confirm that some schools did have nuns as teachers.

Although the schools were state run, the church could insist on Nuns being able to teach, they often were not qualified as teachers but still worked as teachers.

Sue

Sandra Parker
18-02-2010, 10:05 AM
The Catholic Family History Society is a good place to start (just google). They were able to give me some marvellous leads for my 1920's/30's queries,even though they were not able to give me relevant answers, their advice, with details of contacts, was invaluable.
Sandra

Victoria
19-02-2010, 7:06 AM
Why not look up Hoddesdon on Google and see if there is a list of schools in the area? The school may be still be in existence. Your grandad may have attended a private convent school. Many convent schools for girls also took small boys. ( I went to one that did. Also in the 1950s).

Victoria

v.wells
19-02-2010, 3:34 PM
My gt aunt was a Nun and a teacher. She was taught by Nuns as a child, taught for the local council and then entered the Convent where she continued teaching.

BevGibbs
19-06-2010, 4:45 PM
Hmm ... we had Sister Agatha for Needlework in secondary school. She wasnt very nice.

junedye64
19-06-2010, 5:06 PM
My Mum went to The Guardian Angels Chapel School in Mile End. She was born in 1904 so this was early 1900's.

She didn't like it either. She described the Nuns as wicked. :shocked:

June

v.wells
19-06-2010, 5:18 PM
I have often wondered about my gt aunt the Nun, if she was nice or not. I have never been able to find anything out from the Catholic Family History Society, but need to write to the Catholic Convalescent home she was in when she died to see what information they have. I too have heard horror stories about them (and hope it isn't true in her circumstance).

Ms Tarfgi
19-06-2010, 8:24 PM
I was taught by nuns (plus some lay teachers) from 1952 til 1965. Some were nice, some weren't - like the lay (Non-nuns) teachers. The ones who taught in the secondary school had degrees, the ones that taught in the primary school had qualifications from teachers training colleges (much like "ordinary" people). They were ordinary people, and as far as I know didn't eat children for breakfast.

daisynook
07-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I was also taught by nuns - Sisters of Mercy between 1952 and 1962. As some of the others have said, they varied. All were very strict but some kind and some harsh, especially the Irish ones. They put the fear of hell into us all for the rest of our lives!

Jeuel
07-11-2010, 3:35 PM
HALS (Hertfordshire Archives & Local Studies) may have some information. I imagine the school would be listed in directories etc.