PDA

View Full Version : Virus on Genes

sue2white
13-02-2010, 1:43 PM
I read earlier someone picked up a warning message when going on Genesreunited.
I have looked for the thread, but can't find it.

I just went on Genes and immediately my computer (I question this, as it wasn't my virus scanner) told me I had 101 trojans and various other things which were critical and asked me if I wanted to 'run' an unknown programme to get rid of them?

PANIC!!

This box asking me to 'run' this programme didn't want to be got rid off. But somehow I managed to get rid of it and am now running my virus scan. I will let you know the results.

I am now using my laptop, but fear for my PC.

Sue|computer|

Jan1954
13-02-2010, 1:47 PM
The other thread is here (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?56521-Exploit-Rogue-scanner). :)

sue2white
13-02-2010, 1:56 PM
Yep! That's it.

I don't think I actually let anything in, but if I had run the so-called programme, then I think I would have let something in. My scanner hasn't thrown anything up yet. I'll use adware scanner when it has finished, as a double check. Will keep you posted.

Seems genes haven't sorted it yet, but I'm now afraid to go back to it.

Sue

gasser
13-02-2010, 1:57 PM
Thanks for the information......... My other half, who's a computer literate, isn't here all day so I won't visit genes in case everything goes pear-shaped! Let us know how things progress |wave|

ShirleySS
13-02-2010, 3:12 PM
I picked up this Virus a couple of weeks ago. It is quite easy to get rid of (not that I know how but my "computer literate" friend sorted it out for me.) If you put the name of the programme they are asking you to download, in the search engine, the info on how to get rid of it is quite easy to find. You have to go into the uninstall programme. Sorry I can't remember more detail, but it seemed to work when my friend came over. A lot of people seem to have been infected with this one.
ShirleySS

sue2white
13-02-2010, 3:37 PM
I didn't actually download the programme. Thought it was a bit suspicious.
The virus scan is now complete and nothing was found. Am now running Adware to see whether there is any malware. Usually, after I have run McAfee, nothing else is ever found. Fingers Crossed.

Sue

v.wells
13-02-2010, 4:07 PM
I went to Genes 3x's today and only the first instance got this stupid thing. It appears to be a Windows IE scam of some sort - told me I had trojans which I do not so I just clicked it off. After reading Shirley's post #5, I went looking for it but couldn't find it. If it happens again I will remember to copy the url into google and find the problem-fixer.

sue2white
13-02-2010, 4:30 PM
It's scary though.
Looks as though AdAware has not found anything either. Phew!!
Think genes should get it sorted.
Sue

susan-y
13-02-2010, 5:52 PM
Hi Sue...

My computer kept saying it was blocking whatever it was throwing at me and since Thurs. pm I have not had the message any more. Whatever little critter it is it must be making the rounds trying to find someone who doesn't have security on their computer . Vanessa said she contacted them, I had contacted them so the more the better, I say!

Sue

v.wells
13-02-2010, 6:47 PM
Been on genes again trying to catch the critter but no luck. I did a Windows defender scan but nothing and I wasn't worried anyway as my Panda anti-virus/hacking checker does a fantastic job - it blocks everything!

v.wells
13-02-2010, 7:07 PM
I wonder if it is Windows "Live" Safety scanner? This I think may have been part of another wretched windows update thing over the last couple of weeks.

susan-y
13-02-2010, 8:30 PM
I wonder if it is Windows "Live" Safety scanner? This I think may have been part of another wretched windows update thing over the last couple of weeks.

You could be right as it first showed up after the last Windows' automatic update.

Sue

warncoort
14-02-2010, 1:29 AM
I had the same thing a week ago but not from Genes,ran AVG,all clear.Have ignored it since.
Eric

sue e
14-02-2010, 1:41 AM
I've been getting the box warning up for the last 3 days. I use avast and that stopped it thankfully.

Sue

Nannas
14-02-2010, 4:23 AM
It's just an ad.
It isn't a virus,,,,just a pop up spam that tries to scare people into downloading the software,,(which may or may not be infected)

Some tricky little buggers from parts of the world seem to be able to attach them to certain sites (but only for certain areas/times/hits)
It will disappear soon and turn up somewhere else...

Nannas

Nicolina
14-02-2010, 5:59 AM
I went on Genes a couple of hours ago, following an email from them saying that my cousin had up-dated their tree. When I tried to see who had been added I got a genuine looking virus warning but nothing about downloading a programme. I closed the window PDQ just to be safe.

mfwebb
14-02-2010, 7:41 AM
My wife went on GR yesterday and got the same thing -- a big red warning that she had some nasties. She immediately came out and ran a full scan with AVG and nothing was found.

I had something similar with a programme called PSecurity on my daughters computer a few weeks ago. This thing got in and wouldn't be got rid of. Kept telling her she had hundreds of nasties and she needed to download the programme which she (unfortunately) did. It then scanned and identified hundreds of trojans but then asked her to pay $99 to clear them which (thankfully) she didn't.

I googled PSecurity and found it to be a rogue antispyware programme. Even after paying $99 several people were saying their computer was still infected.

Further googling got me an uninstall routine -- a bit scary as it involved editing the Registry, but I followed the steps and got rid of it.

The rule to follow is "if you are invited to download something and you aren't 100% sure you know what it is, don't do it".

I also avoid like the plague those e-mails from friends which have been forwarded to all and sundry -- especially those which say something like "this is important, forward it to all your contacts". A sure fire way to spread viruses.

sue2white
15-02-2010, 6:51 PM
I have just looked on another forum (sorry folks!) and there was a similar thread running there.
It seems that if you are getting strange things happening when you go to Genes, then you ALREADY HAVE malware on your computer.
I did not believe this, as I had run McAfee Internet Security ans AdAware and they had shown up nothing.
BUT the other site said I should run Malwarebytes (free to download - google it) and I did and it found 6 items of Malware on my computer!!!
Now I ask - why do I pay for McAfee if it does not sort these things out.

Anyway - I just thought you ought to know!!

Sue

Peter_uk_can
15-02-2010, 7:38 PM
Malwarebytes is a piece of software designed to remove malware. It offers a free download and also sells a more advanced version.

Whoever operates this company may be running very close to what is and isn't allowed, but being the internet, almost anything is allowed.

It targets various websites and places there what is nothing more than an advertisement, the design of which is capable of scaring people.

Working with certain phrases and screen layouts it hopes to convince the unsuspecting recipients that their computer is about to enter the abyss of viruses, trojans and all the other nasties out there.

Now, many of us have very good anti-virus protection, but Malwarebytes very cunningly sows the seeds of doubt and offers to scan our computer and protect it from harm and all this it will do for free.

The commercial side comes into play when it persuades people to buy their product. Once insatlled on your machine it will work away protecting the welfare of your computer until one day up pops a message to say that it has found the most evil trojan / virus known only to them. The tiny catch..... ummm they can't remove it for free. Gotcha.

Why does it find "stuff" that your trusted antivirus didn't, one has to ask the question... but did it ?... throwing a few names about doesn't always mean that your computer had a problem..

Anyway.. it is all out there to read and decide on.

My internet provider, "Shaw" includes anti-virus, firewall and junks and blocks the e-mails which we don't need to receive, this service is included within the fee they charge for their service. It continues to keep our systems free of the nasties. Which makes us happy.

sue2white
15-02-2010, 10:14 PM
You say this Peter, but when I found these six trojans on my pc, it prompted me to check my laptop too. It found nothing there, which is what I was suspecting.
Anyhow, I feel happier for having used it. I didn't click a link to find the scanner, I went straight to the site and downloaded the free version.

Anyhow, I still won't be visiting genes for a bit.

Sue

pattenwalsh
16-02-2010, 1:58 PM
Malwarebytes is not a scam product that seduces you into buying the product after falsely claiming that you have problems on your computer.
I have used this now for 3 years alongside Spybot and Ad Aware and it is an excellent bit of software,free to download and regularly updated with the latest definition files and no,it does not nag you to buy the full version or pretend that you have malware.