PDA

View Full Version : POWELL and PENRY of Llangammarch

Neil Reynolds
12-10-2004, 6:24 PM
I thought I'd post my Breconshire interests here to try to spark off some discussion. I'd love to see some links coming through from these forums.

My Powells are of Aberdulas, Penbuallt until the 1780s when my line shot off to Nantmel in Radnorshire. They were linked in Llangammarch to the Penrys of Cefnbrith (from which John the martyr in 1593 hailed).

I have gleaned some information from "A History of Breconshire" by Theophilus Jones and also a fair amount from various other researchers.

If any of the above is of interest come on into the thread!

Regards, Neil

alison skipper
23-10-2004, 2:58 PM
Dear Neil,

I noticed your recent message about the Penrys. The furthest back that I have at present is Elizabeth Penry b c1670? I would be most interested to know of the connection with John Penry, The Martyr?

Best regards,

Alison

Neil Reynolds
31-10-2004, 2:56 PM
Alison,

The information I have is from a couple of sources (none of which I have yet personally confirmed).

The important link that connects the two I have from a fellow researcher (previously a local historian in Powys, but now living in the US). He gave me a lot of informantion on the Powell/Penry line. He has Elizabeth as the daughter of Daniel Penry (gent of Aberdulas). I assume from the occupation given that this is from Daniel's will, though I am yet to confirm this. This would give the reason for Aberdulas passing from the Penrys to the Powells.

He further gave Daniels father as Meredith (died 1637 in Aberdulas) and Meredith as the son of Thomas ap Meredith Penry and Gwenllian. This Thomas ap Meredith Penry died in 1621 in Cefnbrith. I believe this date to be a year out as I have from the Theophilus Jones History of Breconshire the following from the section on Llangammarch:

Near these tombs was another with the following inscription, since effaced : "Here lieth the body of Thomas Meredith Penry, paternally descended from Elystan Glodrydd, prince of Ferlix, who married Gwenllian, daughter of Howel David Thomas, they had issue Meredith, Hugh, Rebecca, Rees, Elizabeth and Nest, he died the 10th day of March, Anno Domini, 1620."

This is undoubtedly the same Thomas Meredith Penry as two of the sons are of the same name as is the name of the wife. Thus we have a Meredith Penry in Cefnbrith with a son Thomas who died in 1620. According to numerous history sites John Penry the martyr was also son of Meredith Penry of Cefn Brith. Hence my connection. If Thomas lived about 60 to 70 years then his death in 1620 would have his birth around 1550-60 which ties in well with the birth of John in 1563. I am, therefore, fairly sure that they were indeed brothers.

I have some work to do to prove all my links down this line, but I am fairly happy with the information I have to date.

Regards, Neil