PDA

View Full Version : I know what I want, but how to get them!

Sandra Parker
09-02-2010, 9:22 AM
I have all dates etc necessary to obtain 2 family wills from the 1880's. they exist and are indexed. My problem is getting them.
The Family Division of the High Court has them and they have the form to complete, but as far as I can see, require money/cheque to process them. Is there anywhere that I can do it on line through pay pal or whatever. I have managed to pay for everything else I needed by some debit method, but this still seems to be a snail mail job. :rolleyes:
Any alternatives????????
Sandra

arthurk
09-02-2010, 4:53 PM
Many of us in the UK would welcome some kind of online ordering as well (to say nothing of online indexes), but it's just not possible. If the problem is how to get hold of a sterling cheque, I gather some of the Australian FHSs can provide them for a small fee - might the one in Darwin? Alternatively, might there be a record agent that you can pay by PayPal who would be able to order it for you?

Arthur

v.wells
09-02-2010, 5:12 PM
Sandra, some here who order Wills just send the sterling £5 per Will in an SAE and include postage. (or you could send a sterling postal money order) :)

Sandra Parker
09-02-2010, 7:27 PM
Thank you, thought as much.|doh|

I did send a bank cheque once! Cost me nearly double in bank charges. The postal order is slightly better. So that looks like the way to go.

I guess sometimes we get so used to 'modern electronic' living, we expect large Government Departments to have electronic access, when the powers that be in those places, don't seem to consider its convenience or importance.

Sandra
whose aura is hoping that the Grandies have left a fortune in their wills, but really knows they haven't|nopity|

Jane Gee
12-03-2010, 11:19 AM
I came across this today and wonder why no one has produced some indexes as it would be easier than trawling through fiche and also checking every book for 1 year sometimes 2 if they are held in a local record office.
I had to do this in Birmingham central library which I remember doing 20 years ago and boy did my arms ache! Is anyone planning to take on this task I wonder?
Jane

Chris Doran
12-03-2010, 4:43 PM
Well, the simple solution is for SKS here who has a PayPal account to place the order for you. I would offer, but (a) my PayPal account is a "business" one which means I have to pay a fee to receive your money, and (b) I've never ordered a will and might do it wrong! But if no one else offers, PM me.

Peter Goodey
12-03-2010, 4:54 PM
This is confusing. Is Jane's message anything to do with the subject of the thread? Is Sandra still looking for help? If so I would also be prepared to see what I can do to help.

Jane Gee
14-03-2010, 1:58 PM
|blush|I apologise I digressed
Jane

This is confusing. Is Jane's message anything to do with the subject of the thread? Is Sandra still looking for help? If so I would also be prepared to see what I can do to help.