PDA

View Full Version : Which Prison?

ambersky
09-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Does anyone know if you were tried at the Old Bailey in 1866 and convicted of manslaughter, which prison would you have been likely to be sent to?

Thanking you in advance for any replies.

Kerrywood
09-02-2010, 1:59 AM
Does anyone know if you were tried at the Old Bailey in 1866 and convicted of manslaughter, which prison would you have been likely to be sent to?
After the trial, prisoners were normally held in Newgate for a short time before being moved to another prison, which unfortunately could be more or less anywhere. Depending on the length of the sentence, they may have been moved again several times after that.

Your best starting-point would be the post-trial calendars for Newgate, immediately after the date of the hearing. These are held at The National Archives, Kew. Have a look at this research guide (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=120#Section2.2) to see what there is for the relevant date, and what information you might expect to find.

Kerrywood

suemalings
09-02-2010, 9:09 AM
You may find your person on a census too. Possibly 1871. Also Ancestry now has criminal records. If you don't have a subscription, let us know the name and maybe someone will look them up.

ambersky
09-02-2010, 9:10 AM
Thanks Kerrywood, the list of items I need to look at the National Archives is growing rapidly - I think a day trip is required.

ambersky
09-02-2010, 9:20 AM
You may find your person on a census too. Possibly 1871. Also Ancestry now has criminal records. If you don't have a subscription, let us know the name and maybe someone will look them up.

Hi Sue, he would have been out of prison by 1871, but must admit I do not have a record of where the family were in 1871, although I do have alot of information, the court records, even a newspaper clipping, but would love to establish what prison he actually was sent to.

His name was Walter John Marsh of Shoreditch, and he was convicted at the Old Bailey on the 11th June 1866 for the manslaughter of his son, and confined to nine months imprisonment.

I don't currently have a subscription to Ancestry, so if anyone can help with further information I'd be most grateful.

RobinC
09-02-2010, 9:31 AM
Name: Walter John Marsh
Date of Trial: 7 May 1866
Trial Year: 1866
Location of Trial: Middlesex, England

There is a comment but I can't read what it says.

Kerrywood
09-02-2010, 9:42 AM
Name: Walter John Marsh
Date of Trial: 7 May 1866
Trial Year: 1866
Location of Trial: Middlesex, England

There is a comment but I can't read what it says.

"Committed on Coroner's Inquisition for Manslaughter trial postponed"

In the entry for the hearing itself, on 11 June 1866, he is recorded simply as Walter MARSH.

Kerrywood

ambersky
09-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks Kerrywood, looks like the trial date was the 7th May and he was sentenced on the 11th June, I imagine he was held on remand at Newgate prison.

Kerrywood
09-02-2010, 11:04 AM
looks like the trial date was the 7th May and he was sentenced on the 11th June, I imagine he was held on remand at Newgate prison.

Just for the record, it appears from the Old Bailey transcript (http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18660611-name-409&div=t18660611-565#highlight) that the trial itself was on 11 June. On 7 May he was just charged on the Coroner's Inquisition.

He would probably have been held in Newgate both before and after. Enjoy your trip to Kew. :)

Kerrywood