PDA

View Full Version : 1962 London Street Directory lookup

June Harvey
19-04-2005, 9:10 PM
Is it possible to get a lookup on a London street directory for any year during the 1960s?

I would appreciate knowing who lived at 36 Aynhoe Road, London, W14 during this time. Searching for HARVEYs.

Fingers crossed.
June

get2BJ
23-07-2005, 2:22 AM
June, did you ever get an answer for your post reference a 1962 London street directory? I would also be interested in such a resource if it exists.
Thanks, BJ

Mythology
23-07-2005, 2:43 AM
Did such a publication exist in the 1960s?

With my mother's involvement in local affairs, I reckon we'd have had one at home if there was one, and I certainly don't recall seeing anything other than the phone book at home .... plus piles of electoral registers due to her political activities.

get2BJ
23-07-2005, 3:04 AM
Are such electoral rolls available anywhere to view, hopefully online or to purchase on CD Rom? Glad someone else is still up!

Thanks, BJ

Mythology
23-07-2005, 5:58 AM
To say that I am not very well up on modern things would be an understatement, so somebody else will probably come up with a less vague answer, but ....

On the odd occasion that I've needed them, I've visited the appropriate Town Hall. I've no idea how long they are obliged to keep them for though, or what different boroughs are like beyond any minimum requirement - mine were all 1970s or 1980s, mostly in Ealing, so what is available may be different elsewhere.

See also THIS THREAD (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4061&highlight=Hammersmith+Fulham) which mentions pre-1983 ones being at the British Library, and also has some encouraging news from Hammersmith & Fulham - I don't know where yours is, but you may be lucky and encounter the same sort of helpful service elsewhere.

June - that thread may, with luck, also solve your problem if you're interested in electoral rolls rather than specifically in a street directory. Aynhoe Road didn't ring a bell with me, but I looked it up on the street map, and I find that it is to the west of the railway line which I *think* is the borough boundary, so I reckon that's Hammersmith & Fulham. If they keep them from that far back, it looks as if you're on to a winner there.

(Edit - Forgot to say that if there are any London ones available online or on CD, which I doubt, I haven't come across them)

Ed McKie
23-07-2005, 6:28 AM
Most London Boroughs have their Electoral Registers going back to prewar. Wether they are required to keep them I know not. Those Boroughs which have local history sections usually keep them there, if not they will be in the ordinary Library reference section.

So first try the present Borough Library and see how you get on. I have not come across any which have them on line as such, but an email might find a helpful librarian prepared to do a look up. On tip I have always found useful with Local History Libraries, is to find the name of the Librarian first and then address personally.

Ed

idredge
23-07-2005, 8:27 AM
You will find that Electoral Roll Registers go back to the 1900's not sure how much further but I have viewed mine from 1911 but this was for Wiltshire. You will find that most Record centres save these books. Maybe if you were to write to them (email or phone) they will look it up for you for a fee. If its just the one thing you want then this could be well worth your while taking in to account travelling time and money, and as avoiding London at the moment makes sense.

Up to 1920? you will only get the owner or heads of house women over a certain age, (I think that was about 30 I did read that just recently)
1923 all males over 21 and
1928 everyone over 21.

None of course in the wars.

Irene

Colin Moretti
23-07-2005, 9:25 AM
June, did you ever get an answer for your post reference a 1962 London street directory? I would also be interested in such a resource if it exists.
Thanks, BJ
I'm not absolutely sure whether they were published as late as 1960 (certainly post-war) but if they were then the best place to find them would be either the London Guildhall Library
http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/leisure_heritage/libraries_archives_museums_galleries/city_london_libraries/guildhall_lib.htm
(most likely)
or
The National Archives at Kew
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Good luck

Colin

Fulhamster
23-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Is it possible to get a lookup on a London street directory for any year during the 1960s?

I would appreciate knowing who lived at 36 Aynhoe Road, London, W14 during this time. Searching for HARVEYs.

Fingers crossed.
June

Hiya June!
With luck I shall be going to the Lila Husset on Thursday. I will have a quick 'butchers' for you in case they have anything. Watch this space!

get2BJ
23-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Wow, thank you all so much for your information and advice, I have only been registered since midnight and what action! I should be able to get some where now with my relatives from Lambeth and Camberwell. As I will be off work for the school holidays I'll have some extra time at my disposal during working hours.
Best wishes
Brenda

June Harvey
23-07-2005, 6:33 PM
Thanks for all your posts - what a great bunch. Here's what I have discovered since my post:

I needed to know who my father was living with at the time of his marriage (I was looking for adult siblings) so finally, with the help of some kind soul, found the wandsworth.gov.uk site and enquired about who was paying the rates or was resident acording to the electoral rolls, rate books, etc. for that particular date in 1925. I received a positive response two weeks later. I later did the same thing for my mother who was living in Battersea at that time. Received another positive response.

I was going to go the same route for the Aynhoe address, but was advised that it was in Kensingtired about who was paying the rates or was resident acording to the electoral rolls, rate books, etc. for that particular date in 1925. I received a positive response two weeks later. I later did the same thing for my mother who was living in Battersea at that time. Received another positive response.

Mythology: I shall try the Hammersmith and Fulham connection. Ed: Cannot find a local history library for Kensington. Irene: Thanks for our input. Colin: I will try these links. Reg: I don't know what the 'Lila Husset' is, but will appreciate your looking. I'm watching! Brenda: Hope all of this has been helpful. Why not try lambeth and camberwell.

June

Fulhamster
23-07-2005, 6:39 PM
Hiya June!
The Lila Husset is the building in which the Fulham and Hammersmith archives are kept. Click on the 'HERE' in Mythology's reply and it will give you the address!