PDA

View Full Version : Ireland and Gibralter.

mikproju@talkta
08-02-2010, 5:59 PM
My ancestor John Parr was born in Ireland in 1778 but I don't know where or how to get a record of who his parents were. I have tried the Irish database online with no joy. I am also surprised at the name being in Ireland at that time as I thought it to be English. I know he died in Manchester in 1860 and on the 1851 census was listed as a Chelsea Pensioner. Again, I can find no way of accessing any records of his being a Chelsea Pensioner or what rank he attained.

His wife is no better. Born in 1794 in Gibralter. Jane Hilton. I assume at that time she would be the child of someone in the Army?
Any and all ideas welcome as to how I can get any further?
Thanks
David

fillandclaire
08-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Irish births were not registered until 1864.
Somebody has tried helping me in the past and apparently you need to know the Parish aswell. Each village may have had many parishes within its boundary, so nigh on impossible that far back.

I noticed that the family were living in Berry St, Manchester in 1841 and John is listed as a weaver there also.

I don't know if you found their marriage record:
17 May 1819, Ayr Scotlland
Check "ScotlandsPeople" for the marriage and you may get the Fathers names.

Peter Goodey
09-02-2010, 8:07 AM
This question would be better off in the Military section where you'll find that this question has been dealt with many times before.

Many people with English sounding names were born in Ireland because their fathers were posted there in the Army. First things to try are the GRO Overseas (Military) indexes which are available on Findmypast. The Regimental Registers for example run from 1761.

Next his army records should be at the National Archives. Try the catalogue for series WO 97.

Could this be your man?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-3936424&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2CJOHN%2CPARR&accessmethod=0

JOHN PARR
Born CLONMEL, Tipperary
Served in 28th Foot Regiment
Discharged aged 34
Covering dates 1805-1815

If this is your man, you need to get hold of a copy of these papers by whatever means you can.

Procat
09-02-2010, 8:11 AM
Thread moved to Military General. Good suggestion Peter.

mikproju@talkta
09-02-2010, 9:07 AM
Irish births were not registered until 1864.
Somebody has tried helping me in the past and apparently you need to know the Parish aswell. Each village may have had many parishes within its boundary, so nigh on impossible that far back.

I noticed that the family were living in Berry St, Manchester in 1841 and John is listed as a weaver there also.

I don't know if you found their marriage record:
17 May 1819, Ayr Scotlland
Check "ScotlandsPeople" for the marriage and you may get the Fathers names.

Many thanks, yes I have Marriage record but need to apply for copy of certificate now.

mikproju@talkta
09-02-2010, 9:08 AM
Thank s so much. I will try this and see what I get.
David

crimea1854
09-02-2010, 3:14 PM
David

If the above John Parr found by Peter is your man, he was awarded the Military General Service Medal with clasps for the battles at Corunna, Barrosa, Vittoria and Pyrenees. In addition there is a John Parr on the same medal roll serving in the 9th; he was awarded the MGS medal, with a single clasp for Vimiera.

Martin

mikproju@talkta
10-02-2010, 9:57 AM
Brilliant, but as he was born in Ireland I think Peter has the right man, and as he was discharged at 34 in 1812 it would fit his age . If he was wounded at Corunna it would also fit with 1812 for discharge tobecome a Chelsea Pensioner.