PDA

View Full Version : ww2 Polish Resettlement Camps

a_jacobs49
06-02-2010, 7:03 PM
I have done alot of research on this topic as my father was in Polish army and settled in Uk after the war . I have been looking at many camp lists but none mention Hawarden in Flintshire (Clwyd) I know he was in a hostel or camp there after the war but no records of it . Any one know where I may find the camp records ? Anita

blue eyes
06-02-2010, 7:51 PM
Hi Anita,

His resettlement may have been through the Polish Catholic Mission. Camps established after WW2 were gradualy fazed out in the 1950's.

http://http://www.polishcatholicmission.org.uk/download/20071203_history.pdf

cfww2
06-02-2010, 8:08 PM
After the war the British governement, with the Polish govt in exile, set up the Polish Resettlement Corps. The papers are held at the National Archives and a brief introduction is available here:

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Disposal_of_Polish_military_record s_after_WWII

One would need to go through the WO/315 series to see if there's a list of resttlement camps

CF

stevenpenny
08-02-2010, 3:15 PM
Hi,

I think that RAF Hawarden was renamed RAF Sealand at some point after WW2. Certainly the Polish airforce trained at Hawarden during WW2. The nearest Polish camp to Hawarden would be Penley which is a mere 30 miles away, or alternatively you might try 'Penrhos' on Anglesey.

Steve

a_jacobs49
23-05-2010, 9:06 PM
Many thanks for your sugestions I have since applied for and recieved my fathers Military records It appears from his records he arrived at the Pipers Wood Camp in Amersham . Then moved to single mans Polish Hostel in Hawarden 1948 . These Military records are amazing worth every penny great read and full of knowlege I recomend to anyone if thinking of applying for their families records do it well worth it .

bernard norman
22-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I have done alot of research on this topic as my father was in Polish army and settled in Uk after the war . I have been looking at many camp lists but none mention Hawarden in Flintshire (Clwyd) I know he was in a hostel or camp there after the war but no records of it . Any one know where I may find the camp records ? Anita

The camp was halfway between Hawarden and Broughton. I actually remember visiting the camp as a small child with my father who was dealing with some fallen trees (he was the Head Woodsman on Lord Gladstone's estate) and there maybe some record of the camp on the estate's records as I think it was on their land. It was only a short distance from a former RAF airfield at Hawarden (this is now part of Airbus Industries).

As far as I can remember there were only men in the camp. It would have been very unusual for a child to visit the camp and it must have reminded the men of their home life in Poland. I remember being surrounded by men speaking in a strange language and to be honest I found this frightening at the time. I ran off after my father.

It was not until I was much older that I was aware that these men had fought for us in the war.

I hope you find this of some assistance. If there is any other questions you have of the area I will be glad to help you.as I know the area well.

B. Norman Mr.