PDA

View Full Version : W E Wright, Forest Gate (Essex?)

GeoffD
05-02-2010, 10:51 PM
WE Wright, presumably William Edward Wright.

Does anybody have any information on the approximate dates for this photographer at this location. I have been able to find 1882-1889 at an address in Forest Gate, and 1890 at Leyton, but that would not fit at all with the apparent age of the person said to be the subject of the photograph. If, however, this photographer had operated in Calcutta at some stage, then there might be some sense in this conundrum.

I have not seen the back of the card in question, only the front. I will try to find out if there is any address info on the back.

Mutley
05-02-2010, 11:56 PM
A real long shot is a Photographer in the 1881 census living in West Ham. (Goodwin Road)
He was born in Middlesex in about 1843 and is married to Sarah with 2 children, William and Stanley.
RG11/1723/71/49 (Crown copyright TNA)

If he is your man maybe you can track him through the census?

GeoffD
06-02-2010, 3:29 AM
I know a lot about the person allegedly the subject of the photo, but the dates I can find for the photographer (1880s onwards) do not fit the timeline of the said subject's life. Trouble is, our State Library has the subject named quite definitely, but I think they could well be wrong. Descendants also have a copy of the photo, to complicate matters.

Using the approximate age of the subject the photo would have to have been taken in the 1850s, when the subject was living in Padang, West Sumatra, trading betwseen there and Calcutta, and probably occasionally captaining a vessel to the UK.

(Long time no see Mutley! I've been poorly, very poorly.)

Marina.S
06-02-2010, 4:37 AM
There's an interesting site rogerco.freeserve.co.uk/index.htm that says ,date old photos, and it shows you the dress they wore through the 1800's each 10 years, just a long shot but it might get you nearer the date.
Marina

GeoffD
06-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, the person in this photo is wearing a uniform that stayed basically the same from 1856 or thereabouts until well into the 20th Century. I can tell by his hat badge that he is an employee of the British India Steam Navigation Company, and by his sleeve lace that he is ranked as Third Officer.

I have sent out a message to find out if the photographer's full address is on the back. I can find out all sorts of things about the photographer after 1880, but not before. If the subject really is who everyone says it is, then the photo would have to have been taken in the late 1850s or early 1860s. I have been able to find out that W E Wright somehow managed to avoid being included in the London directories of the time.

Mutley
06-02-2010, 3:16 PM
Well unless the William in the census and the W.E. Wright that you have found also had a father, W.E. then the dates definitely do not match. To have taken the photo in the 1850s the photographer would be born latest 1820s, I would think.

Let us know if you get a reply and there is an address on the back. I cannot see one in any of the earlier directories.

Sorry you have been poorly Geoff, I do hope you are feeling better. |hug|

GeoffD
07-02-2010, 7:54 AM
Sorry you have been poorly Geoff, I do hope you are feeling better. |hug|

Thanks, Mutley. Doctor says I should be starting to feel somehting like human again somewhere around Easter, if we can get the next phase of treatment started around 15th.

Stupid lymphoma.|scold|

GeoffD
08-02-2010, 8:58 AM
1861, a William W Wright, colour maker, with an 8 year old son William E born Poplar, Middlesex, at 2 Maw Terrace, West Ham.

That's about as close as I can get in any of the earlier years. Not looking good.

Rosemaryot
10-03-2010, 6:07 PM
We have two old photos in our family taken at W Edward Wright studios in Forest Gate. The photo says W Edward Wright F.R.P.S. 65 (I think) Woodgrange Road, Forest Gate. We know the age of one of the gentlemen photographed, if he is who we think he is, and he was born in 1879. As he looks to be in his 20s at least in the photo, the photo would have been taken within the first decade of the 20th century. Hope this will be of some help.