PDA

View Full Version : Wellbeloves in the Crimea

GeneHunt59
05-02-2010, 8:39 PM
Hi,

I was hoping to discover if anybody with the surname Wellbelove (or variants, Wellbeloved, Welbelove, Welbeloved, Wellbeluff) served in the Crimea. The surname is fairly rare and at the time was mostly concentrated around Surrey & neighbouring London/Middlesex. At present I have no idea who might have been serving in the armed forces at this time, let alone their regiment, so would be grateful of any assistance.

Regards
Alan

Geoffers
05-02-2010, 9:35 PM
TNA has a John WELLBELOVE, served in the Rifle Brigade and discharged 1854 - see WO97/1089 (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-4017899&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2CWELLBELOVE&accessmethod=0) (Note it's only a catalgoue entry not the full document).

No obvious matches in the RM or RN.

Hopefully someone with the medal roll might read this thread and be able to check for you.

GeneHunt59
05-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Thank you for your help

neil1821
06-02-2010, 2:57 PM
The Crimea medal roll isn't alphabetical, so it's not a simple matter so search for a particular name.
However, other rolls ARE alphabetical.
There's a Pte Richard WELLBELUFF in the 14th Dragoons in the Indian Mutiny 1857-59

GeneHunt59
06-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the Indian Mutiny reference. That is one of the few I already had, but it would be interesting to know what campaigns Richard Wellbeluff took part in, and/or which clasps he would have been entitled too.

Regards
Alan

PS - thanks again to a most knowledgeable and helpful forum