PDA

View Full Version : PC Plod's court attendances

British Viking
05-02-2010, 2:55 PM
Sorry if the title is slightly misleading as I was'nt sure how to word it. However, two of my relatives were policemen and, I am sure, during their careers they must have attended court several times with the people they arrested for various offences.

Just wondering would there be archives anywhere of each police constable's court attendences I could look up? One was with the City of London then possibly Met afterwards and the other was in the Ross on Wye area.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jan1954
05-02-2010, 3:17 PM
Hello British Viking - welcome to Brit-Gen

I am not sure if individual records are kept for each police officer, but the City of London Police have a contact on their website (cityoflondon.police.uk/CityPolice/About/services/History/britishpolice.htm - put www. in front) who may be able to help.

Also, the Friends of the Metropolitan Police Historical Collection (met.police.uk/history/friends.htm - put www. in front) may be of assistance for your London bobby.

Geoffers
05-02-2010, 3:23 PM
However, two of my relatives were policemen and, I am sure, during their careers they must have attended court several times with the people they arrested for various offences.

Just wondering would there be archives anywhere of each police constable's court attendences I could look up? One was with the City of London then possibly Met afterwards and the other was in the Ross on Wye area.

The way individual records are/were kept and what survives for each force varies tremendously.

However, a note is not made in an individual officer's record everytime he/she attends a criminal, civil or coroner's court.

The nearest thing I can think of, which is sort of similar, is where forces kept something called an Occurrence Book (OB). Each station within a force held one and it was a sort of daily diary - detail recorded varied between stations, but you might find sudden deaths, arrests, property, reported offenders, accidents, and incidents of note. An awful lot of these were completed in a year by a busy station and the very great majority have been destroyed; forces with an archive section or museum may have kept a sample and they can make interesting reading.

Peter Goodey
05-02-2010, 3:27 PM
Of the forces mentioned, only the records of the Metropolitan Police are designated public records and are described in this National Archives research guide (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=104)

Barnzzz
05-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Hi British Viking, I have my own PC Plod who pounded the beat in Bath. I found several references to him in the local newspapers of the time. These were mostly accounts of how he arrested people for burglary or whatever and a brief outline of the crime they had committed.
Sue

Mutley
06-02-2010, 12:17 AM
I don't know what period you are looking for but try the Old Bailey Online, that is free and often mentions the officer involved in a case.
Also British Newspapers On line (newspapers.bl.uk) is a pay site but you can search for free and the Times was once a local London rag with lots of crime reports containing the names of the arresting officers.

British Viking
11-03-2010, 7:02 PM
I have just tried Old Bailey Online. Whilst it is fascinating it seems to only apply to cases between 1674 and 1913. My PC Plod relative served with the City of London police from 1920 to 1946 so maybe the results won't be available just yet?

Jack Richards
11-03-2010, 9:28 PM
Reference this thread - Geoffers has provided an excellent answer and he will be writing with his own experience in mind, I suspect from the view of a County Police officer.

Most certainly, I believe that it would be a near certainty that in a large City Police Force for records of this nature not to be maintained let alone preserved. Whilst the attendances of police officers at local Magistrates Courts has completely changed since the introduction of the Crown Prosecution Service, I am aware that prior that time. some police officers in a City could be at court giving evidence "almost on a daily basis" - perhaps not 100% accurate, but it shows some were regulars. Of course some police officers in a City, even in those days, might attend Court far less frequently. In the days to which I am referring, I do know that in Manchester City Police Force, when a police officer made either an arrest or prosecuted a person by summons (e.g. Traffic offences etc.) the said officer attended the local Magistrates Court and presented his own case and evidence in Guilty pleas. Offenders arrested today appeared in Court mostly the next day.

This post may not answer the question in its entirity but hope it helps in some way. To summarise, I doubt, nay I'm certain, that records of an individual police offices attendance at Court will not be available, but as has been suggested newspapers may contain mentions of same, especially in high profile crime cases.

Kindest regards

Geoffers
11-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Whilst the attendances of police officers at local Magistrates Courts has completely changed since the introduction of the Crown Prosecution Service, I am aware that prior that time. some police officers in a City could be at court giving evidence "almost on a daily basis"

Very true, with drunks, public order and vagrancy offences and regular 'customers' for whom it was part of daily life.

Offenders arrested today appeared in Court mostly the next day.

It was not unusual to attend court the same day - my record from time of arrest to conviction (shoplifting) being 57 minutes.

To summarise, I doubt, nay I'm certain, that records of an individual police officers attendance at Court will not be available,

The few sheets of paper that formed a single minor arrest report would be destroyed after a few years. As a cadet I would frequently be given the task of going through bags full of old papers, sorting out the important stuff (murders and the like) which was not destroyed, from the everyday bits and pieces which were.

stickymone
12-03-2010, 3:16 AM
It was not unusual to attend court the same day - my record from time of arrest to conviction (shoplifting) being 57 minutes.

Good grief Geoffers,

Don’t tell me you wore the old blue band on your cap as well.
I knew there were a few old ex bobbies lurking on Brit-Gen but I didn’t expect to find an old
‘Kiddie Kop’ :biggrin5:

57 Minutes for a shoplifter though, that’s what I call impressive |bowdown|
Charge Sheet
Statement of Facts
Antecedent history
Pre Cons
Fingerprints and photograph
Witness statements

I knew you were quick at typing but, that’s verging on bionic!

There is one thing though, I bet you were working under ‘Judges Rules’ when you put you shoplifter up before the bench :biggrin5:

Geoffers
12-03-2010, 8:24 AM
Don’t tell me you wore the old blue band on your cap as well.

Yes I have to admit it, I enjoyed my time thoroughly. Though where I worked we were known as Codsheads on the basis that we were of no practical use.

57 Minutes for a shoplifter though, that’s what I call impressive

'twas in the days before computers when there were still Station Sergeants whom no one crossed and whose decision was final. This one 'phoned the Court at 12.45pm, was told that if we could get the prisoner across there within 5 minutes their Worships would hear a guilty plea before lunch. 12.50pm arrive in court, prisoner pleads, facts read, no previous, prisoner in possession of a very substantial amount of money. Magistrates find case proved, fine prisoner who hands over cash. 12.57pm head back to the nick to do the paperwork before 2pm finish.

Jack Richards
12-03-2010, 1:01 PM
Oh dear Geoffers, you've let me down.

I thought police officers searched a prisoners house on arrest (with his consent, of course!) to see if he/she had other stolen property therein. No checking his home address to verify same - of course it was done for you. (vbg)

I've heard the tale of a female senior citizen that was arrested for shoplifting in an inner city area of Manchester. As above her home address was searched - after she had given a false name and address - and therein her home she had many items of stolen (shoplifting) items. I believe the tale is true, but I've shortened it, to save someone's 'blushes' in case the C.I.D. officer in the case happens to stumble across this forum and thread.

I note your comment about Station Sergeants, I believe they were far more severe than you mention, a few I'm told actually had a sense of humour, albeit warped.

Regards

Geoffers
12-03-2010, 1:44 PM
Oh dear Geoffers, you've let me down.

I thought police officers searched a prisoners house on arrest

This offender came from Cyprus and had a return flight ticket for 5.30pm. I did offer to carry out a house search, but..........

(For reasons I cannot go into, we knew the address to be correct).

I note your comment about Station Sergeants, I believe they were far more severe than you mention, a few I'm told actually had a sense of humour, albeit warped.

They varied, but warped is a word I've heard contained in a description. Another one involved his parents and (lack of) marriage, but the details escape me with time.

joette
12-03-2010, 4:30 PM
As a volunteer with the Metropolitan Police I work on the front counter at my local nick. We write all the day to day stuff in the OB book although the uniformed officers don't.On a few occasions we have showed them how useful they are as a reference where no other history exsists.

We are very lucky to have a concise history of the station too including who was residing there in the 1901 Census-although the Sergeant & his wife & children & couple of miscreants are noted there is no mention of the resident ghost.Which I have heard but not seen.

v.wells
12-03-2010, 5:18 PM
I recently inquired about an accident report held at the London Met and was told those Occurrence Books and Reports were destroyed after 7 yrs or so. I don't know how long court proceedings/trial records would be held.