PDA

View Full Version : Inaccuracy

lesleys
03-02-2010, 1:50 PM
As has often been mentioned, submitted entries can be unreliable.

I found a great one today. A marriage was recorded where the bride's name was given as "Briton Ferry" - this was (according to the Pallot's entry) the place of residence of the groom and not the bride! |laugh1|
Unusually for a Pallot entry and very usefully,it also gave her full name and her father's name.

Pam Downes
03-02-2010, 4:21 PM
As has often been mentioned, submitted entries can be unreliable.

I found a great one today. A marriage was recorded where the bride's name was given as "Briton Ferry" - this was (according to the Pallot's entry) the place of residence of the groom and not the bride! |laugh1|
Unusually for a Pallot entry and very usefully,it also gave her full name and her father's name.
That's a brilliant one, lesleys. :)
I would love to see that family tree. I wonder the submitter ever found a baptism for Briton Ferry? |biggrin|
Just so there is no confusion, the 'submitted entry' is on the IGI, not Pallots. :)
The groom is John Henry Jennings of Briton Ferry, Co. Glamorgan, South Wales, and the bride is Comfort Matilda du Faur, a minor, daughter of John du Faur.
Pam

lesleys
03-02-2010, 4:40 PM
Well ferreted out Pam. :D
John Henry had an interesting father - antiquarian, Henry Constantine Jennings of Shiplake Oxford, who found a Roman dog!
The Dufaur family are proving to be quite fascinating, and spread across the globe.

JAP1
04-02-2010, 1:41 AM
I've always been fascinated by Freda DU FAUR, the famous Australian mountaineer, who climbed in the New Zealand Alps - she was the first woman to climb Mt Cook.

Emmeline Freda (Freda) DU FAUR, 1882-1935, was born in Sydney, New South Wales, daughter of Frederick Eccleston (Eccleston) DU FAUR,1832-1915; Eccleston had been born in London, son of a Frederick DU FAUR.

I have a book:
A Girdle Round the Earth: Women Travellers and Adventurers by Maria Aitken
which has a striking full-page photo of Freda in the mountains.
That photo can be found on the web at:
http://www.dnzb.govt.nz/images/D105_du%20Faurd105_canterbury.JPG

JAP

lesleys
04-02-2010, 9:05 AM
Hi Jap,
Yes Freda is one of the line and her father was an outdoor type too, fellow of the RGS.
biography here:
http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A040107b.htm

JAP1
04-02-2010, 10:01 AM
Hi lesleys,

Yes, there's heaps on the Web about Freda and about her forebears (especially Eccleston).

I didn't expand on this as Freda was the only one which particularly interested me!

As you'd said that the family was fascinating and had spread around the globe, I just thought I'd mention the DU FAUR (Freda) who had captured my interest so many long years ago.

Best regards,

JAP

fountainpen
05-02-2010, 10:43 PM
I found one of mine today Elizabeth "Binger" Allen ! *lol
It actually Elizabeth Benson Allen the christening was all wrong too .
Ive come across some right corkers .The thing is if you look at the actual record it's clear as day - so im puzzled at the errors .It could be a case of fat finger syndrome which is easily done , but the date and year is wrong too.

Nannas
14-02-2010, 2:09 AM
Hi Jap,
Yes Freda is one of the line and her father was an outdoor type too, fellow of the RGS.
biography here:
http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A040107b.htm

Hi,
While talking about incorrect stuff..LOL
That Australian Dictionary of Biography (the link above) also has many inaccuracies that they refuse to change/correct.
It too, is a good resource of information but can only be used as a guide.

I had been contacting them and other sites they affiliate with, over some information displayed that is incorrect, but noone ever got back to me.
I had even attached original documents, thinking that might get someones attention, but no such luck!!!

LOL I guess everyone should just read the "disclaimer" on those sites before taking anything as fact!

Nannas