PDA

View Full Version : Retrieving WW1 & WW2 records

dawiz
03-02-2010, 9:32 AM
G'day all,

I'm about to order my Great Grandfather's military records and was hoping someone here could give me some advice. I have email Vet affairs and got no real answers to my questions.|banghead|

The question is; my GGFather fought in both WW1 & 2 so would all his records be at the Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow or would I also need to contact the National Archives at Kew for his pre 1922 records.

He was also seconded to the Royal Flying Corp, so do I need to contact the RAF for those records?

Please tell me they are all in one place and waiting for me!

Cheers

Dan

RobinC
03-02-2010, 9:41 AM
Hi Dan,

There are WWI military records available on Ancestry, however his records may have been kept back if he served in WWII as well.

It might be worth looking though!

Regards

Robin

deenor
03-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi Dan,
I'll take a look on Ancestry for you, you need to give as much info that you have, name ,dates places etc, presumably you have his army numbers ?
From what I believe if a soldier re-enlisted after WW1 his servce records could still be on file with the Army Personnel Centre. ( If this is incorrect someone here will put me right )
I have my grandfathers WW2 records the staff at the APC are very helpful I would email them [email protected]

Denise

dawiz
03-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Hi Denise,

Thanks very much for the kind offer.

My GGrandfather was Stuart Barnes. He was granted a commission in the 1st Wessex Brigade, R.F.A. (T.F.) with seniority of 19 September 1914 with service number 24499.

There is alot more information for Stuart on our website at [add www]senrab1275.ipage.com/barnesperth.info/Stuart%20Barnes.html

Any information or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Peter Goodey
03-02-2010, 11:50 AM
1. There are different routes to search for officers. See this research guide (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=6)

2. If he left the army after 1922, his papers will still be with the MoD.

deenor
03-02-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi Dan,
I think I have located the MIC for your grandfather , PM your email and I can send it to you.
There are no service records for him on Ancestry, but after looking at the website for your grandfather and seeing his millitary history ,
his records are probably still with the MOD, you should email them.
Denise

Geoffers
03-02-2010, 4:14 PM
Your mention of him being RFA (TF) and an apparantly related entry in the Army List for 1929

Page 282
Royal Artillery - Territorial Army
54th Wessex Brigade
213th (Hampshire) Batt. St.Pauls Road, Portsmouth
Captain
BARNES S (Lt.Res of Off) - seniority in rank with effect from 17 March 1923

Suggest he served in the Territorial Army. In which case this TNA research guide (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/rdleaflet.asp?sLeafletID=147)may be of interest.

This reseach guide (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=60)deals with the RFC

cfww2
05-02-2010, 12:26 AM
There is one WW1 record for a S Barnes, RAF officer available for download:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=first_name%3ds|last_name%3dbarnes&catid=43&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=*

cf

dawiz
06-02-2010, 10:51 AM
cfww2

unfortunately not Stuart's records but thanks for the info.

Peter Goodey
06-02-2010, 11:25 AM
remove url to private web page

Is this new policy?

Geoffers
06-02-2010, 1:58 PM
Is this new policy?

No, it's been around for a while. Members who have earned the right to use the signature by unfailing support for the forums (such as yourself) can include URLs in the signature.

ChristineR
07-02-2010, 1:40 AM
Is this new policy?

You will notice that I have only removed the active link to the personal website, not the address which just needs www added to it. One may put the url in one's personal profile. As Geoffers has said, those with 'signature rights' may place it in their signature (as long as it is not a commercial site).

My understanding of the rule was that the reasoning behind the blanket ban on urls to personal pages in the body of messages is to avoid persons using this method to increase the profile of their webpages, particularly by being hit by the search engines. I may be wrong of course, wouldn't be the first time!

CanCan
07-02-2010, 9:36 AM
Rules are Rules , but I cannot see a problem with inserting ones web page.

But thats my opinion.

CanCan

CanCan
13-02-2010, 7:02 PM
Rules are Rules , but I cannot see a problem with inserting ones web page.

But thats my opinion.

CanCan

No comments ???

Edit - Private message with comments sent to CanCan as to why personal web-sites are not permitted. Geoffers, Moderator