PDA

View Full Version : My Fitzgerald's of Mortlake

Shannon
12-10-2004, 6:02 PM
I just cannot find the death of my great grandfather: Edmond William Fitzgerald.
In one census, it states that he's born in Scotland and then in the 1901 his frst name becomes Edward and it says his birthplace is Mayfair.
There are 3 of us looking for his death. We know he was born in 1858/59 and married Ellen S. Spencer. We know he was a railway porter until Dec. 1913 when he became a labourer. We have also sorted out enough information to know that he did not live beyond 1920 for sure. Other family members are buried in Barnes Mortlake Cemetery, but the curator says he's not there.
Does any body have any ideas please?

Shannon
in Canada

tielmess2000
04-11-2004, 10:00 PM
Hi Shannon,
I've no information, but I live in the Barnes/Mortlake area. If you need some leg work at the cemetery, I'll be happy to go and look about a bit for you.
There are, however, several sites: do you know which cemetery? Also, a couple are very large (!), so it may take some time.
Yours,
Trudy

Grandad james
07-11-2004, 11:31 PM
Hi,
You can now search the Borough of Richmond cemeteries online.
The direct link to the page seems to play up .
So www.richmond.gov.uk and then in top bar click on Online Services then scroll down to last entries on page..Other online services here you will find Borough Burial Reisters.

Hope this helps .
James .who has ELLIS and FREEMANS in some of the cemeteries.

tielmess2000
08-11-2004, 9:20 AM
Hi James,
Thanks for that.... I've just tried the site. Couldn't find an Edmond/Edward or even William fitting the details for Shannon's missing g-grandfather, but did manage to locate a couple of my Messingham relations that I had thought were buried elsewhere. So, much appreciation.
Yours,
Trudy
PS Still prepared to do leg work if required.

Shannon
13-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Hello Trudy, the cemetery is East Sheen in Barnes, but I wrote to the curator and he says there is no Edmond or even Edward Fitzgerald there. He suggested that being Irish, Edmond may have been buried at a Catholic cemetery like St. Magdalens.(?) I don't know anything about that. Another person suggested that he went back to Ireland and died there. It would have been between 1912 and 1920, but I don't know why he left his wife who lived to be over 100. (she is buried in East Sheen as are their children)
Thankyou for offering your legs to check him out for me. I think it was very kind of you.

Shannon
13-11-2004, 10:08 PM
Thankyou James. Like Trudy, I found all my other Fitzgerald's but Edmond there. It is a good site though. By the way, are your Whites in the 1901 census, living in Hanwell Mdx.?

tielmess2000
14-11-2004, 1:24 PM
Hi Shannon,

St Mary Magdalen's Church is just a stroll away. Leave it with me and I'll see what I can find out for you over the next few days.
Yours,
Trudy

tielmess2000
22-11-2004, 1:47 PM
Hi Shannon,

Sorry to say that I have been unable to locate a grave. I have also not been able to speak to anyone, yet, about possibly viewing records (hence my delay in replying), but I am just about to contact the church via an e-mail.
If you would like to contact me "off list", please feel free to email me. In the meantime I shall carry on, and let you know how things go.
Yours,
Trudy

alanjohn
05-03-2008, 6:21 PM
Hi,
You can now search the Borough of Richmond cemeteries online.
The direct link to the page seems to play up .
So www.richmond.gov.uk (http://www.richmond.gov.uk) and then in top bar click on Online Services then scroll down to last entries on page..Other online services here you will find Borough Burial Reisters.

Hope this helps .
James .who has ELLIS and FREEMANS in some of the cemeteries.

Thanks for that link,i found a couple of Hards,and Leakeys i was interested in.

Lindad
07-03-2008, 9:27 PM
I see this thread was started several years ago... did you ever find him Shannon?

Shannon
04-09-2009, 11:22 PM
Unfortunately no Lindad. I have not found my great grandfather.

Lindad
04-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Hi Shannon

Could this be him:

Edmund Fitzgerald - December 1917 - Islington 1b 175

This Edmund is the right age. Islington is in north London and Barnes/East Sheen in south west London - however they are not a million miles away. 1917 would have been mid-WW1 so, if he was fit and able, he may well have been called into some sort of work a bit further from home... and then become ill or had an accident whilst there.

Of course, it may or may not be him... but my gut feeling is that it might be worth spending £7 to obtain the death certificate to find out!

Best wishes,

Linda

Shannon
13-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Oh my goodness.
I have never read your information. Thank you so much. It gives me hope.

Shannon

AdeleE
17-03-2010, 9:51 PM
Oh, dear. You've been searching a long time! Was the death certificate quoted by Lindad in post #12 not the correct one?

Raffaele
18-03-2010, 9:10 AM
Just a reply to put this back in perspective. Adele has quite some memory as this thread started in 2004. Lets put it back in the frame as a lot more information has become available since and we may be able to help more now. I will look later as a I am a bit busy right now.

Raffaele
18-03-2010, 9:56 AM
Going over the same ground but did you get this certificate

Deaths Dec 1917
Fitzgerald Edmund 58 Islington 1b 175

It does look exactly right. Interestingly there is an Edward Fitzgerald born in Islington about the right time

Edward Henry Fitzgerald Baptism 25 Oct 1857
Father John Bald Fitzgerald
Mother Jane Fitzgerald
Parish: St Mary Islington