PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay Family

Yettigirl
18-04-2005, 11:43 AM
I am researching the Lindsay's from Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire,Scotland
Any information would be great, thanks.

amanda77
04-05-2005, 7:37 PM
If you give a bit more information, such as names, dates etc.. it would help people get the right family for you, There are 2 Lindsay families on the 1851 census but without knowing who you are looking for and what dates, it may not help you.
Hope this helps you
Amanda

Yettigirl
05-05-2005, 12:11 AM
William McKnight Lindsay b1808 married Agnes Little b1815. These are approx dates. I think Williams parents were John and Elizabeth (nee McKnight). John b1785 and Elizabeth not sure of birth. There could be other family memebers as well, I'm sorry I'm not sure. The birth dates are approx. Hope you can tell me more, Thanks Eileen

amanda77
08-05-2005, 8:52 PM
Hi,

Had a look for you. I found the marriage between William & Agnes that you mentioned on LDS site, but the information was submitted by a member of the church and not estracted from records so a bit less reliable.
I also found the birth of 2 of theire sons again not extracted from records

John LINDSAY born 14th Dec 1837 christened 14th Jan 1838
James LINDSAY born 18th July 1842 Christened 18th Nov 1842

I also found 2 daughters whose entries were from records

Catherine LINDSAY christened 1st March 1840
Grace Ewart LINDSAY christened 20th March 1836
all the above children were born Lochmaben Dumfries.

I also had a look at 1851 census but there was only two Williams who matched ages but one was unmarried and the other married to Jane, so no luck there.

Have you tried the Scotlands people website. It is pay per view but you are able to view the original documents so you will find the marriage for William & Agnes and from there able to view there birth records.
I see you are from NZ so i don't know how easy this would be for you. It costs £6.00 and you get 30 credits. It costs 5 credits to view a certificate.
Have a look at Scotlands People
Or alternatively see if a kind person with spare credits can help you out. Mine have expired at the moment.
Anyway good luck and hope some of this helps you
Amanda

Yettigirl
10-05-2005, 9:11 AM
Thanks for your help.
Eileen

Kerry Kelley
29-04-2006, 10:06 PM
I am a descendant of William Lindsay and Agnes (Little) . William is my 3rd great-grandfather. Here's my tree:

John Lindsay married Elizabeth McNight (or McKnight)
their son:
William McNight Lindsay married Agnes Little
their son:
John Lindsay married Grace Robertson Reid
their son:
James Lytell Lindsay married Sarah Rolls Taylor
their son:
Everett Taylor Lindsay married Ida Mary Pace
and their daughter is my mother.

Feel free to contact me.

Kerry