PDA

View Full Version : Rueben Stone Killed in Great War

denisepatton
28-01-2010, 2:08 PM
Hi all ... still researching the Stone family and am now looking at Rueben. I have just found a record of a Rueben Stone from Manchester being killed in the Great War. Is there any way of checking this further to see if it's definately our Rueben?

~x~

Jan1954
28-01-2010, 2:11 PM
According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website, he was aged 22 and the son of Mrs. F. Stone, of 61, Pimblett St., Cheetham, Manchester. Any help?

denisepatton
28-01-2010, 2:33 PM
Thanks Jan ... Sadly that was him :( ... Is there any mention of Benjamin Stone who would have been his Father ... I'm wondering whether he got called up too?

Jan1954
28-01-2010, 2:41 PM
Not on that particular record. Have a look: http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1671351

denisepatton
28-01-2010, 3:02 PM
Thanks for that Jan. It may also help with his sister Gertie. She was only two years younger than Rueben and the eldest girl ... 10 children in total and some still babies. There are lots of marriage records for Gertude Stone which is how she was christened. On the 1901 and 1911 census' though she is listed as Gertie. There is a marriage of a Gertie Stone to a Rueben Greenberg in 1935 ... I should think this would have been quite old for a girl to marry but wonder whether she helped bring up the other children and was perhaps drawn to Rueben because of her Brother ...

Denise ~x~

peter nicholl
31-01-2010, 6:39 PM
Hi Denise
There is an entry for R Stone in the National Roll of the great War, Section XIV, Salford. The address matches, but there is a problem with the date of his death (a problem apparently not unknown with the Roll) in that it shows that he was Missing in Action on 31st April 1918
Peter

corieltauvi
08-04-2010, 7:15 AM
Hi Denise, I found the Manchester Regiment Forum had loads of info about my Great Grandfather, who also died while serving in the Manchester Regiment.
themanchesters.org/forum/index.php it may well be worth joining and posting a question on that forum too.
Torven