PDA

View Full Version : Morgan (s) Aberystwith

Father_Smiley
12-10-2004, 5:57 PM
Hi, I am researching my fathers side of the family and am looking for David Morgan b. abt. 1863 in Cardigan (shire?). He worked as a Drapers Apprentice in Aberystwith for Evan Morgan according to the 1881 Census. Evan Morgan shut down his business between 1881 and 1891 as David Morgan is in London working as a Drapers Assistant. This ties in with the family story of my g-grandfather walking to London to find work! Any information regarding Evan Morgan's shop or possibly records pertaining to Apprentices in Aberystwith would be more than welcome as I have yet to find a record of David Morgan's Marriage to Mary Ann Day in London and therefore cannot find out his fathers name.

Thanks in advance.

Strange being the first post in a forum?

Annie
23-10-2004, 6:37 PM
The closure of the shop could have been due to Evan Morgan's death, there is an entry on the freebmd for Evan Morgan aged 53 Dec quarter 1890 Aberystwyth 11b 50. Have you tried the NLW to see if they have apprentice records?

Annie

Father_Smiley
24-10-2004, 7:26 PM
Thanks for the info Annie, but I have Evan Morgan and his wife Marion still in Aberystwyth in 1891 with Evan working as the Manager of enamelled (slateworks?) and again in 1901 they are in Leamington Priors, Warwickshire (the birthplace of Marion) and Evan is described as a Retired Draper. I will check out the NLW as per your suggestion.

Thanks again

Father Smiley (Used to have 'smilie' I could use but it seems to have disappeared from the usual smilie lists!)