PDA

View Full Version : Getting around

Colin Rowledge
28-01-2010, 3:32 AM
I've tried various ways of getting on-site. When I do, the Home Page [top left] is there, but clicking on it gives me an access denied v-bulletin message. Then when I click on Forums or What's New I have full access and the Home Page box is visiblle.

Am I doing something wrong?|banghead|

Maybe this is phrased badly, but hopefully someone knows what I mean

ChristineR
28-01-2010, 3:41 AM
Hi Colin, this has been mentioned quite a few times already. You might need to reset your bookmark.
There is nothing much on the home page anyway, the forum is the place to be at the moment while the wrinkles get ironed out. Or come back in a few days :D

bibliojunkie
28-01-2010, 4:24 AM
I was able to log in but then got several access denied messages. Typically, I ignored them and eventually got through to post.

Hi Colin (can't find the wave smiley), |wave| we're neighbours for awhile!

Ali

Colin Rowledge
29-01-2010, 6:17 PM
Something has happened and don't know what or why. I shut down for a while today but didn't check out, but somehow all the threads of today's posts have been replaced by just those tha have new posts added. Can you tell me what happened?

Help, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan1954
29-01-2010, 6:26 PM
Something has happened and don't know what or why. I shut down for a while today but didn't check out, but somehow all the threads of today's posts have been replaced by just those tha have new posts added. Can you tell me what happened?

Help, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hi Colin,

How long were you offline for?

When you shut down, if you have not logged off, then it can look as if you are still on the forum for a while - the green light will still show against your name. This used to be about an hour, but I am not sure what it is at the moment. You are then automatically logged off.

After that time, when you return, just the threads with new posts will appear.

This also happened before the upgrade and has caught me out a couple of times. I just make sure that I have read everything that I want to and then log off.

Colin Rowledge
29-01-2010, 6:36 PM
Hi Jan.
About 1.5 hours. When I came back, everything was fine, but I inadvertently hit the button that said "Mark Forums Read". Does this mean all posts prior to 1,00pm [my time] are buried and inaccessible? I can find the threads/posts for my own activity, but cannot read others.

Thanks
Colin

Jan1954
29-01-2010, 6:49 PM
I inadvertently hit the button that said "Mark Forums Read". Does this mean all posts prior to 1,00pm [my time] are buried and inaccessible? Ah. To be honest, Colin, I have no idea as I have never clicked that button - even under the old system. I had visions of the whole forum disappearing from my view..... :o

Hopefully, one of the other more computer-savvy members will be able to tell you. Sorry.

Sue Mackay
29-01-2010, 6:57 PM
I believe that if you have clicked Mark All Forums as Read then if you click Advanced Search (top right, currently on navy blue banner) then you can ask for posts in the last 24 hours or various other time frames. I have never tried this myself.

Alternatively, log out, then click on Today's Posts. Read through them and if there are any you might want to reply to or look at further just note which forum they are in and go to that forum when you log in again.

Colin Rowledge
29-01-2010, 7:04 PM
Thanks, Sue that worked a treat - I now have access to the the last 100 posts.