PDA

View Full Version : Richard Symes, Coast Guard, Hastings.

rrzing
17-04-2005, 11:35 AM
I am researching Richard & Emma Symes and family. Richard was a Chief Boatman with the CoastGuard, according to the birth places of their known children, was stationed at Pevensey, Leiston, Dunwich and Hastings. According to his Death Certificate he "Shot himself during temporary derangement" on the beach at All Saints, Hastings, 28 Nov 1842, aged 40. He is buried in "St Mary in the Castle".
I am wondering if someone may be able to locate Richard's family in the 1841 Census, hopefully this will indicate his whole family.
Another point of interest I would like to persue is the information surrounding his suicide. The Coroner at the time was John G Shorter of Hastings. Is it possible to find his reports?
Thanks in anticipation
Ruth

Geoffers
17-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Richard Symes was a Chief Boatman with the CoastGuard........ According to his Death Certificate he "Shot himself during temporary derangement" on the beach at All Saints, Hastings, 28 Nov 1842, aged 40.....I would like to persue is the information surrounding his suicide. The Coroner at the time was John G Shorter of Hastings. Is it possible to find his reports?Coroners' reports frequently do not survive from this early - having written that, I don't know specifically of Sussex, the local Record Office should be able to adivise you on their survival there.

In my experience, you'll usually find the best reports on suspicious deaths in local newspapers - these often go into great detail.

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Chris in 1066Land
17-04-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi there Ruth

Had a look on the 1841 census for Hastings for your Symes Family, and it surprisingly gave more information than is normal as it gives all the relationships as follows

HO 107/ 1107/ 8 - Govt House, Parade, Hastings

SYMES Richard, 39, Chief Boatman in Coastguard, not born in Sussex
......... Emma, 36, Wife, not born in Sussex
......... Joseph, 13, son of above, not born in Sussex
......... John, 10, son of above, not born in Sussex
......... Richard, 8, son of above, not born in Sussex
......... David, 6, son of the above, not born in Sussex
......... Samuel, 4, son of the above, not born in Sussex
......... Francis, 2, son of above, born in Sussex
......... Benjamin, 3months, son of the above, born in Sussex

Hope that helps to build your family tree

Chris in 1066Land
17-04-2005, 12:04 PM
Hi again

The Burial Register entry for Richard Symes taken from the registers of St Mary-in-the-Castle, Hastings.

Richard SYMES, This Parish, 2 Dec 1842, aged 41

Will look to see if a memorial was erected in the church or the churchyard to him.

Chris in 1066Land
17-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Hi Ruth

Sorry, no memorial either in the church or in the burial ground in 'Wallinger Walk' - but it looks as though Richard was joined by his youngest son a few weeks later

Benjamin Fredk Royal SYMES, This Parish, 16 Feb 1843, aged 2

Thats all I can find at the moment - but will look for a report of the inquest next time I am in the Library

rrzing
17-04-2005, 9:55 PM
Many thanks Chris and Geoffers for the information, you have made my day.
Ruth.