PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you die?

DBCoup
25-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum but I've been musing ....
What happens to your postings, logon etc when you die assuming of course that B-G learns about that?

The reason I ask is that, although my father-in-law died 3 years ago when I search the names he was researching (and I am now researching) I often find something he has posted (not on B-G). Of course I KNOW not to contact him but what about others.

Then there is the problem of keeping everything forever. Some postings on B-G will continue to be of interest and use to others yet to join for some time into the future but what of those postings under general chatter, funny side of life which do not hold value indefinitely - are they purged after a period of time?

Do postings eventually "age out of existence"?

daryl

MarkJ
25-01-2010, 11:53 PM
I know we have sadly lost a couple of members over the last few years, but I must admit that I don't know exactly what happens. I guess it would be based on the wishes of the family - probably converting the member to a "Guest" account so others don't attempt to contact. The posts would normally remain on the forum - again, I expect the feelings or comments of family members would be taken into account, but we usually don't remove posts unless they are in some way breaking the rules.

Of course all our posts slowly trundle off into the distance and end up many, many pages down in the postings - but a quick search engine look will often dig them up again.

An interesting question Daryl!

Mark

v.wells
25-01-2010, 11:58 PM
DB - Gruesome thoughts! I drew up a list for my son of places to unsubscribe from, subscription sites to cancel immediately, how to save GEDCOM's and which email friends to inform.

I would think that postings may last 10 yrs but maybe 5 yrs would be sufficient, I really don't know the answer to that one.

MarkJ
26-01-2010, 12:10 AM
Sensible thoughts, rather than gruesome I think Vanessa. When I was poorly last February, my wife luckily knew that I am a regular here on the forum and contacted Admin to let them know that I was in the care of the local hospital.
I keep meaning to draw up a list of people who need to be contacted but I must admit to not having done so as yet.

Mark

DBCoup
26-01-2010, 12:33 AM
I think you have hit on the solution Vanessa, now if only I can remember what I have subscribed to.....
I must make sure that someone takes over my research - no takers yet but I'll start working on the 6 month old grandson.

I just hope everyone who wants to help me gets the opportunity to do so before the inevitable .... ;)

Mutley
26-01-2010, 12:45 AM
My kids always say the only way they can contact me on the quick while I am alive is by a PM on the forum. ;)
They doubt much will change when I am on my way wherever, after all I have a long list of people to find for the members.

Seriously, I do not ever remember a 'goodbye to whatisname' thread so I imagine we just slide away. I am sure Admin deletes if the family request for that to happen.

I've tried to find threads way back and have managed to go back to about 2004. Not sure how to find the first thread ever posted and still showing.

jeeb
26-01-2010, 12:53 AM
Sensible thoughts, rather than gruesome I think

Mark

Yes I agree with you Mark and I think Daryl was wise to raise the question. There are people not interested in genealogy who see our 'hobby' as gruesome & morbid but they are unlikely to post on the forum anyway. For those of us who become members and do post here it would seem fair to assume they are interested in tracing ancestry. This of course means finding out about those who have gone before. With that in mind we are grateful for any information our ancestors left behind so when a BG member departs this life his/her postings should also be seen as a legacy to future members.
If one would not like to have messages sent to their family after their death then as long as Admin are aware of the fact they can remove the deceased members details.

Jeremy

Degan
26-01-2010, 8:15 PM
I once Googled an elusive relations name and it came up! However I had such a strange feeling when I realised that it was a message from my sister who had died a few years before. (It wasn't this forum, in fact it's one I've deliberately avoided so I didn't come across her posts). I still come across them from time to time, and some of them are over ten years old, but now I'm not so startled.

Degan

Marie C..
26-01-2010, 8:25 PM
Thank you for asking this question Daryl and Mark for your answers. Marie

Waitabit
27-01-2010, 9:02 AM
I think you have hit on the solution Vanessa, now if only I can remember what I have subscribed to.....
I must make sure that someone takes over my research - no takers yet but I'll start working on the 6 month old grandson.

I just hope everyone who wants to help me gets the opportunity to do so before the inevitable .... ;)

Hoping you are well Daryl,........ perhaps people could leave directions in their wills for various Forums, Clubs etc. to be notified of the recently moved on members ineligiblity to participate in activities previously endulged in.

Oh gosh spitty rain falling oh joy!..sorry.. although voices fromn the past can sometimes stirr up joyful memories & nudge us on to further victories. At least it sounds good?
|angel|

Waitabit
27-01-2010, 9:14 AM
Oh Admin, I believe I became a little carried away here, can you fix it please? I'd really rather only have ONE answer for Daryl at a time.

http://bestsmileys.com/flowers/9.gif

Pleas don't take this as bribery, just stop & smell the flowers, or hay or woolly lambs or whatever you have to hand.

Jan1954
27-01-2010, 9:51 AM
Oh Admin, I believe I became a little carried away here, can you fix it please? I'd really rather only have ONE answer for Daryl at a time.Sorted, Wendy. :)

I wonder how that happened..... :confused:

DBCoup
27-01-2010, 7:42 PM
Oh gosh spitty rain falling oh joy!..sorry..

Pleas don't take this as bribery, just stop & smell the flowers, or hay or woolly lambs or whatever you have to hand.

Hey Waitabit have you smelt a wet wooly lamb?? or wet hay for that matter?? Personally I would take the wet rose ......

And yes, thanks, I am well, 'cept for bits starting to ache, the eyesight etc. This thread was brought about more by the shock (no that's too strong) the unexpectedness of turning up a post by my late father-in-law and I started wondering how sad it would be if people tried to contact him. (I hope they would let me know if they got a reply - I have new discoveries I wish I could share with him)
daryl

Waitabit
28-01-2010, 3:25 AM
Sorted, Wendy. :)

I wonder how that happened..... :confused:

Thanks Jan, late(for me) hour, dallying when I ought to have dillied?

Hey Waitabit have you smelt a wet wooly lamb?? or wet hay for that matter?? Personally I would take the wet rose ......

Daryl we have a wee dog with wool instead of hair/fur, thick & soft as ....so heavy when wet & yep a bit wiffy.

And yes, thanks, I am well, 'cept for bits starting to ache, the eyesight etc. This thread was brought about more by the shock (no that's too strong) the unexpectedness of turning up a post by my late father-in-law and I started wondering how sad it would be if people tried to contact him. (I hope they would let me know if they got a reply - I have new discoveries I wish I could share with him)
daryl

Why can't your late F-in-L be right up with what you're discovering? oh ye of little Faith.

DBCoup
28-01-2010, 7:00 AM
Why can't your late F-in-L be right up with what you're discovering? oh ye of little Faith.

True but couldn't he help a little. Then perhaps he is ..... ;)