PDA

View Full Version : NVU Web Authoring

colleen
16-04-2005, 4:34 PM
I have just downloaded this program which I believe is a WYSIWIG program. I have done in a couple of hours as much as I had managed to do in 10 days with a more conventional HTML editor which was doing my head in.

I think this is the way for me but I am now stuck and cannot work out how to place a vertical column of deeper colour onto the left hand side and then put my buttons on it.

I have used a textured colour image for the background and have the same texture in a deeper colour which I want for the column. I have looked at the tables but they appear to be for text only. Can anyone help?

Colleen

arthurk
16-04-2005, 5:51 PM
I don't know the program you're using, and I'm not an expert, but you can have things other than text in a table, as they're often used for aligning images.

I think what you need to do is adjust the Cell Properties for the cell(s) where you want the deeper colour. With those cells selected, you might get there either by right-clicking, or there may be a menu command (?? something like Table > Select Cell > Properties ??).

When you get to the Cell Properties dialogue there should be some way of changing its background colour, and I think (though I'm not 100% certain) there should be some way of using a background image as well.

Hope this helps - ask some more if you need to, though I can't guarantee to know the answer myself. But I do sympathise with using a WYSIWYG editor!

Arthur

colleen
20-04-2005, 3:28 PM
Hi Arthur,

Thank you for your encouragement and help.

I have insterted images into tables as you suggested, but there appears to be no way to use a background image in a cell. The options let you chose the colour from a colour picker or you can enter a hex number of your choice, and that's it. However, as I am creating my own graphics, I have surrounded my buttons with a border of my chosen background image and when inserted one under the other in the column they look as though they are on that background. The joins do not show. Voila!

Slowly getting there,

Many thanks,
Colleen

arthurk
21-04-2005, 5:36 PM
Glad you've found a way to do what you want - I think I may have misled you a bit before.

What I've now discovered in my program is that you can't specify a background image for an individual cell, but you can for the whole table. Then if you select a colour for an individual cell, it will override the image. So the end effect will be what you want - you just need to think differently to get it.

Good luck,
Arthur

Rod Neep
21-04-2005, 6:12 PM
Cheat.

Give the whole page a background. A simple narrow graphic that is white all over, but with a coloured image on the left hand side.
http://www.rod-neep.co.uk/graphics/bg-1.jpg
Note that this "band" has red on the left, but white entending a LONG way to the right of it.

Now what we do is create a table on the page so that the left hand column is the same size as the red part. (The first line of the code below contains the background image:

<BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff" BACKGROUND="graphics/bg-1.jpg">
<P>
<TABLE BORDER CELLPADDING="2">
<TR>
<TD>Left coloumn top
<P>
text in here</TD>
<TD>Right column top</TD>
</TR>
<TR>
<TD>Left column bottom</TD>
<TD>Right colum bottom</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>
<P>

To "force" the left hand column width to the same width as the "red" part of the graphic, simply have an image in that column that is the same width. If you want to type text over that red background, then make it yellow text.

The result... see here (http://www.rod-neep.co.uk):)

Cheers
Rod

arthurk
23-04-2005, 12:09 PM
Cheat.
Me, you, or the method you describe? ;)

If it's the method, I'd change it to "Neat".

Arthur

Mark
23-04-2005, 1:16 PM
Also validate the html code to give every browser its best chance to render your pages in the way you designed them. While browsers can cope with html errors, they might do so in different and (to the end user) unpredictable ways.

Mark