PDA

View Full Version : Mary Harris, Swansea 1851 census

MarkJ
23-01-2010, 1:43 PM
Hiya,

A Mary Stribley married a chap called Thomas Harris in 1841 in Cornwall. I believe they moved to Swansea or the general area and a daughter - Catherine - was born there in 1846 or so.

If anyone could find them on the 1851 census and note the details of places of birth etc, plus the names of those living in the household, I would be really grateful. Mary would be around 30 years of age and from Cornwall.
Mary had a child before the marriage, but I strongly suspect he was brought up by family members - but you never know, he may be in Wales with his mum!

The family ended up in Australia, but not sure as yet exactly when they emigrated - so not to worry if they don't appear in Wales ;)

Thanks

Mark

Mutley
23-01-2010, 2:30 PM
I cannot find them, sorry :(

Can I check, is this Mary and her family in 1841 before she married Thomas?
Henry Stribley age 50
Catherie Stribley age 50
Mary Stribley age 20
Elizh Stribley age 18
Henry Stribley age 15
Richd Stribley age 13
Thomas Stribley age 11
N S Henry Stribley age 4 Months

AnnB
23-01-2010, 2:32 PM
Sorry Mark, I can't find them either - what was Thomas's occupation?

Best wishes
Ann

MarkJ
23-01-2010, 2:39 PM
I cannot find them, sorry :(

Can I check, is this Mary and her family in 1841 before she married Thomas?
Henry Stribley age 50
Catherie Stribley age 50
Mary Stribley age 20
Elizh Stribley age 18
Henry Stribley age 15
Richd Stribley age 13
Thomas Stribley age 11
N S Henry Stribley age 4 Months

It is indeed Mutley :)
Although the 1841 doesn't give a relationship for the little lad (Thomas Henry), he was baptised in St Enoder as the son of Mary Stribley, a spinster.

Sorry Mark, I can't find them either - what was Thomas's occupation?

Best wishes
Ann

No idea I am afraid as yet.I would guess he was a tin miner, based on where he was from (St Agnes) and the general connections between the Stribleys and that area.
I know they ended up in Oz, so possibly they went before 1851. The daughter, Catherine, was born 1846 I believe.

Not to worry - I will see if I can find them sailing to Australia!

Thanks for your time and effort :)

Mark

MarkJ
23-01-2010, 2:43 PM
Ah - found them! Headed to Oz in 1848, which accounts for the lack of finding in 1851!

Thanks all :)

Mark

Mutley
23-01-2010, 2:46 PM
The little lad (I also thought it said Thomas) is down as being 4 months old and the census was in June so his birth should have been about February. (Does the parish record say?)

I could only find a registration for a Henry Stribley in Truro in DEC 1841. Though maybe she did not register him back then.

I only wondered as son may lead to mother. ;)

AnnB
23-01-2010, 2:52 PM
Ah - found them! Headed to Oz in 1848, which accounts for the lack of finding in 1851!

Thanks all :)

Mark
They were determined to make it difficult for you - fancy emigrating between census's ;)

The main thing is that you found them :)

Best wishes
Ann

MarkJ
23-01-2010, 2:58 PM
He was baptised 2nd May, 1841. The census states he was 4 months old at the time of it being taken (give or take a few months I dare say!).

I had a look for his birth, but like you, I suspect it was never registered. Even not entering a surname (in case of spelling issues) gave nothing for the correct RD.

Ah well!

Interestingly, the arrival in Australia of Mary and Thomas lists 3 children. One will be Catherine, plus another born en route at sea called Elizabeth. Wonder if the third one is little Thomas Henry? One thing leads to another ... :D

Mark

Mutley
23-01-2010, 3:07 PM
Interestingly, the arrival in Australia of Mary and Thomas lists 3 children. One will be Catherine, plus another born en route at sea called Elizabeth. Wonder if the third one is little Thomas Henry? One thing leads to another ... :D

Mark

Would you like me to move this thread to the Australia forum for you. |laugh1|

MarkJ
23-01-2010, 3:47 PM
At this rate, it will end up on every forum :D

The Stribleys certainly got around - I have them in Cornwall of course, but also County Durham and now Wales and Australia...

Quite common to find Cornish mining families all over the globe!

Mark