PDA

View Full Version : searching 1914-1918

Edwardo
16-04-2005, 2:40 PM
Hello.Reading all your messages,searching the archives is a peace of cake.well i must be a bit dimm.all i seem to do is go in a never ending loop.i am looking for my fathers service records.Frank Freeman private 4354 and 331655 do not understand the first number.He was wounded in the legs and spent some time in Moor Park hospital preston.again I can not fined anything on line about this hospital.He was discharged 3rd April 1919 as wounded.Ihave downloaded his medal card ok.Now can you download his service records or do you have to go down there?Best regards to all .edwardo

Terry Reeves
16-04-2005, 4:24 PM
In his case,the reason he has two numbers is that he was serving with a Territorial (TF) battalion of the Liverpool Regiment. In 1917, TF units were re-numbered in blocks. It would appear Pte Freeman had a number belonging to the 9th Bn. This can be confirmed by looking at the medal roll itself, the reference to which is on the medal index card. However, this, like his service record, if it still survives, can only be seen at the National Archive, Kew, and not on-line. Details can be found on the NA website.

Terry Reeves

Edwardo
17-04-2005, 1:40 PM
Thank you Terry for your reply.can you tell me what the letters and numbers mean as in the medal card,medal victory.H/2/102 b365282.and in the swb(silver war badge)H/2302/2.The number on dads swb box is B190146 Thank you again.edwardo

Terry Reeves
20-04-2005, 10:21 PM
The number on his box will be the number stamped on the back of the badge. This will have been entered against his name on the SWB roll which is available at the NA. It should give you his enlistment and discharge date as well as the paragraph number for King Regulations which authorised different types of discharge. In his case, it will probably be through wounds or sickness. The reference for the SWB roll should be on the MIC. As for his medals, there should be a reference number for the actual medal roll alongside the meadlas he was entitled to. In the larger box on the card, you will often get a set of references which have no meaning for the researcher.

Terry Reeves

Edwardo
02-05-2005, 10:54 AM
Thank you again Terry.sorry for my late responce (been a bit poorly)good luck with your searches everyone.ted