PDA

View Full Version : uncle at Colchester

royston
16-04-2005, 2:20 PM
I only found out yesterday that my Mothers brother, who neither she or I had ever met died at Colchester in1989. Also found that what seems to be his wife also died at Colchester in 1990. Never having had any contact with him it has proved almost impossible to obtain anything other than some very basic detail. I know that he was in the army from at least 1920 to 1946.
His regiment was RASC, but I have no idea what that means. He did get to the rank of Captain by 1946. I have wondered if there are any family members still in the Colchester area, but do not know if he had any children.
I have listed his details below. Any help or suggestions as how to locate more detail would be a great help, as I have no idea how to proceed.
Harry Crowcroft, born 1904 at Rotherham. Died Dec.1989, Colchester.
(wife ?) Katherine May Unknown born 1905, died Aug.1990 at Colchester.
Roy White

Andrew Mead
17-04-2005, 6:48 AM
RASC - Royal Army Service Corps

If you start going through GRO marriage index from about 1924 - when he would have been 20 (available in most record offices, main reference libraries and some Family History Society research rooms), you should find his marriage - the surname is fairly unusual so should stand out. The index will show the surname of the spouse, so you can then check that surname and see if there is a Katherine May Unknown married in the same district.
Then start going through the birth indexes from that marriage date. Again, they have the maiden name of the mother listed which should help find the probable ones, and get the original certificates from the local register office.

Here is his birth from FreeBMD:
Surname First name(s) Age District Vol Page
Births Sep 1904
Crowcroft Harry Rotherham 9c 747

Andrew

royston
17-04-2005, 1:36 PM
Hi Andrew,
Many thanks for the info on the Army. This is a great help. I did acquire the application form from the army for details of his career, but if I pay the required amount for the search they cannot guarantee I will get the info. as I would have to be direct (I presume first in line) next of kin. So it could be a waste of money.
I have traced this/my family back to C.1700 with over 2000 individuals so it may seem strange that I know so little about an uncle. This is, of course, because theremessage=Hi Andrew,
Many thanks for the info on the Army. This is a great help. I did acquire the application form from the army for details of his career, but if I pay the required amount for the search they cannot guarantee I will get the info. as I would have to be direct (I presume first in line) next of kin. So it could be a waste of money.
I have traced this/my family back to C.1700 with over 2000 individuals so it may seem strange that I know so little about an uncle. This is, of course, because there was never any face to face contact between him and my Mother. I have a letter from him dated 1929 by which time he had been to several postings including 7 years in China.
He mentions having married in 1926 at Folkstone but while he was abroad this wife had run off (?). I realise that I will have to trawl St.Catherines index but the problem is that there were at least 4 likely Harrys/Henry all born about the same time.I was hoping that some one in the area of Colchester would recognise the names. Anyway, once again was never any face to face contact between him and my Mother. I have a letter from him dated 1929 by which time he had been to several postings including 7 years in China.
He mentions having married in 1926 at Folkstone but while he was abroad this wife had run off (?). I realise that I will have to trawl St.Catherines index but the problem is that there were at least 4 likely Harrys/Henry all born about the same time.I was hoping that some one in the area of Colchester would recognise the names. Anyway, once again, many thanks for your help. I can at least try to find some one who might have served with him in the RASC.
Best wishes, Roy

Andrew Mead
18-04-2005, 6:21 AM
Have you thought of looking for a will - as an Army Officer he would almost certainly have made one. It may name children!
Andrew