PDA

View Full Version : Private R P Laker The Buffs 1918

davaaris
21-01-2010, 8:42 PM
Reproduced below are the details of my great uncle. I have visited his grave at Lapugnoy France. I know he died as a result of a gas attack but I do not know where or when. I don't think the attack was on the same day he died because I believe that initially he went to a clearing station. If I could only find out what battle he was involved in at the time I might be able to progress. Can anyone help please? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

LAKER Reginald Percy
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)
Unit Text: 10th (R. East Kent and West Kent Yeomanry) Bn.
Date of Death: 14/10/1918
Service No: 9046
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: X. E. 15.
Cemetery: LAPUGNOY MILITARY CEMETERY

Geoffers
21-01-2010, 9:42 PM
Welcome to the B-G forums.

Things you can try looking at:

1. is there a surviving service record on the pay-per-view site 'ancestry'

2. His death certificate (use the reference in the GRO index to, other ranks army deaths in WW1).

3.Use a search engine to look for the 'Long, Long Trail'

On the web-site there is a page for the Buffs detailing what battalions did:
1914-1918.net/buffs.htm

This shows the Buffs were in 230th Brigade, 74th Division.
1914-1918.net/74div.htm

4. Use the war diaries (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=20)held at The National Archives in document class WO95 - some are available via documentsonline. (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/war-diaries.asp)

5. Search the London Gazette for any despatches from the battalion.

bazstar
29-07-2013, 5:14 PM
Hi,
I might have your great uncles Allied Victory Medal with ribbon in very good condition.
I got it 35 years ago from my grandfather but have no idea how he got it, he was from barnsley/wakefield area.
I live near you now as i stay in west lothian.
Not sure how to contact you but if you reply to this post with email address or telephone number i will get in touch with you.

christanel
30-07-2013, 6:46 AM
Hello bazstar and welcome to the Brit-Gen forums.

Unfortunately davaaris hasn't been on the forums for quite a few years but hopefully will still have the same email address and receive notification of your post. Another way to try and contact them, which also relies on the email address not being changed, is to click on the user name and choose private message from the drop down forum, then send one :yes:

Oh how i would love someone to contact me and tell me they had my grandfather's medals. I do hope davaaris hasn't changed their email after you have taken the trouble to join us.

Why not stay around now you are here? :yes:

Christanel

bazstar
31-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Thanks Christanel,

Ive sent a PM, and hopefully they will reply.

It might not be the same person, cause the medal says 36896 PTE R A LAKER E YORK, so middle name wrong but i cant find out any more about it.

Thanks.

christanel
31-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Hi

ancestry has his medal roll index card. Unfortunately not davaaris' man but you never know he may be a rellie.

Robert A Laker
Regiment or Corps - East Yorkshire Regiment, Seaforth Highlanders
Regimental Number - 36896, 31862

There aren't any service or pension records for this man. WW11 bombing destroyed approximatley 60% of WW1 records.

christanel
31-07-2013, 10:32 PM
There is a Robert Atkinson Laker on the 1911 censusin Yorkshire. I wonder if it is him?

John Charles Laker 58 widower
Charles Henry Laker 27
Annie Laker 22
Rose Edith Laker 17
Robert Atkinson Laker 14 errand boy
Albert Edward Laker 11
Nellie Laker2

This is his death registration
England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007
Robert Atkinson Laker
Born 10 Mar 1897
Death Registration - Feb 1996
Age at Death - 98
Registration District - East Cleveland
Inferred County - Cleveland
Register Number - A17
District and Subdistrict - 3491
Entry number - 148

christanel
31-07-2013, 10:43 PM
There is a public tree on ancestry with this man in it. The owner is annettewright1 but she hasn't logged into her tree for 6 months.

Your local library may have ancestry free on line and you can contact her through them. If not and you would like to make contact I could do it for you.

Christanel