PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Cathedral Marriage June 9 1801

Jenjen
16-04-2005, 3:35 AM
I would like information on the wedding of Thomas Knowles to Lettice Preston on June 9 1801 at Manchester Cathedral.
Thank-you
Jen

uksearch
16-04-2005, 1:14 PM
There is not a lot of detail here so if you are certain they are yours it might be worth getting hold of the Licence.

Marriage Solemnized in the Parish Church of Manchester in the County of Lancaster 1801
N0 422 Thomas KNOWLES of this Parish and Town of Manchester,Gent & Lettice PRESTON of Manchester,Spinster were married...by licence...witnesses Wm SIMMONS & ? PRATT(?).

Thomas signed the PR whilst Lettice made her mark.

UK

Jenjen
18-04-2005, 2:47 AM
Thanks for checking. Not as much information as I had hoped for. When you say the licence I'm not sure what you mean as I didn't think there were licences until 1837. Maybe you are refering to something else. I discovered that my Thomas Knowles was married to someone called Leticia and this was the only marriage I could find with a similar name. I don't know if Lettice and Leticia would be interchangeable. Anyway Leticia says she was born in Colne so maybe they were married there. Another place to search!!
Thanks for your help, Did you see my message about Paradise Hill? If not you were right about its location.
Jen

Peter Goodey
18-04-2005, 9:25 AM
I didn't think there were licenses until 1837
No.

Marriage licences are nothing to do with civil registration. There's an explanation here - http://www.originsnetwork.com/help/aboutbo-mla-gma.htm (part of the explanation is geographically specific and won't apply to Manchester but the principles are the same)

It's definitely the licence you need to obtain which with luck will contain a wealth of useful information.

uksearch
18-04-2005, 12:57 PM
Here is an example of a Marriage Licence.

UK

5th Day of April 1762

On which Day appeared Personally John Lodge of the Parish of Flaxley in the County and Diocese of Gloucester, Baker and being sworn on the Holy Evangelists, Alledged and made, Oath, That he is of the Age of Twenty One Years and upwards, and a Batchelor and that he intends to Marry with Hester Pope of the Parish of Westbury in the County and Diocese of Glocester, Spinster aged Twenty One Years and upwards; and that he knoweth of no lawful Lett, or Impediment by reason of any Pre-contract entered into before the 25th day of March, 1754, Consanguinity, Affinity, or any other Cause whatsoever, to hinder the said intended Marriage; and that he prayed a Licence to solemnize the said Marriage in the Parish Church of Westbury aforesaid; in which said Parish of Westbury the said John Lodge further made Oath that the said Hester Pope hath had heer, Spinster aged Twenty One Years and upwards; and that he knoweth of no lawful Lett, or Impediment by reason of any Pre-contract entered into before the 25th day of March, 1754, Consanguinity, Affinity, or any other Cause whatsoever, to hinder the said intended Marriage; and that he prayed a Licence to solemnize the said Marriage in the Parish Church of Westbury aforesaid; in which said Parish of Westbury the said John Lodge further made Oath that the said Hester Pope hath had her usual Abode for the Space of Four Weeks last past.

Let Licence pass as prayed John Lodge
Thos. Carpenter

uksearch
18-04-2005, 1:08 PM
A marriage licence was used as alternative to Banns being read out.You can find a fuller explanation on the net.Man Cath licences are held at Cheshire County Records Office.

UK

uksearch
18-04-2005, 1:31 PM
This is what was in the PR entry:

1762 Apr 13 John Lodge of the parish of Flaxley married Hester Pope
of this parish in Westbury on Severn by licence. Witnesses James Trigg
and Toby Cowles.

UK

Jenjen
18-04-2005, 4:11 PM
Wow. A wealth of information for which I thank you. This is definitely the marriage as my Leticia was born in Colne and guess what Lettice Preston was born in Colne(IGI)? Also their ages are spot on(1851 census) So I will go for the licence as you suggest.
Jen