PDA

View Full Version : MTB's in Malta 44 to 45

mick Letts
15-04-2005, 7:40 PM
Does any one know of a relation that could have served with my late dad Alf Letts in the Navy? A couple of names are Herman Ayling, Freddie Crompton, "Lofty" Ferrett and Stokes known as Grumpy.
Served on motor torpedo boats out of Malta in med area till end of war

Rove
12-05-2005, 12:21 AM
Hi Mick

I do not know any of the named persons but during WW2 and the period you mentioned my family lived next to the RN Base of Kalafrana (later HMS Falcon) Malta, thats at the southern end of the Island. The Torpedo Boats operated from there. Many local men worked at the Torpedo Depot.

My father was in charge of the Power Station and as a young teenager I used to go with him to the Base on the weekends even when the air-raids where on. The Base was also an RAF Base and they operated the Air Sea Rescue high speed boats that used to pick up the airmen from the sea.

mick Letts
27-05-2005, 7:19 PM
Thank you Rove,
I actually assumed the base was at Sliema Yacht club. So I found your info revealing. I would be really interested in anything else you know about the base.
I found some old photos of my dad in uniform in sunnier climes and I just wondered..... you know how it is. I wish I had asked him more when he was still around.
Hope i hear from you again soon, thanks.
Mick

Derek Lewis
03-02-2012, 2:43 PM
Hello Mick, My name is Derek Lewis, my late father John James Lewis (known as Jack) served in the RN in WW2, the first 3years on HMS Hero ( H99) a Destroyer. In 1942 Hero was given to the Canadian Navy and renamed Chaudiere. My father was transferred to Malta on MTB`s and served there for approx 2 years. I have his photograph album from the war with many pictures of the war in general and in particular Malta. The base for the MTB`s was the Torpedo Depot in Sliema Creek, I visited there a few years ago. There is an MTB in the creek which is privately owned. I dont recall your fathers name from any of the pictures in the album. If you would like to contact me....

dereklewis225 AT live DOT co DOT uk...

Scobello
01-04-2013, 6:10 PM
Does any one know of a relation that could have served with my late dad Alf Letts in the Navy? A couple of names are Herman Ayling, Freddie Crompton, "Lofty" Ferrett and Stokes known as Grumpy.
Served on motor torpedo boats out of Malta in med area till end of war

My grandfather H F Cooper was based in Malta on the MTB!s, before he passed away he wrote a book, which was published. I have all his notes, so I will have a look through them and see if I can find anything out for you. Regards Simon. Scobello at gma il dot com