PDA

View Full Version : EDWARD LAWRENCE LEVY-SOLICITOR

phillip
17-01-2010, 6:03 PM
As part of my research into the Levy links to Crawcour and Jacobs I have noted amongst my distant Jacobs cousins data the relationship between Charlotte Levy who married Edward Lawrence Levy b abt 1828 ( also used Laurence as a middle name. Charlotte Levy was the daughter of Daniel Levy and Amelia Jacobs ( Amelia Jacobs daughter of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses).

Edward was the son of Lawrence ( Laurence) Levy a Sheriff's Officer who had married Rebecca Jacobs ( daughter of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses).

The details of Edward appear in a range of documents including his Old Bailey Trials and in other sources including the London Gazette.
Edward and two of his sons Daniel and Henry were given prison sentences and one of Edward's brothers (unnamed) appears to have been a wealthy person in Australia.

One of my distant cousins on the Jacobs line has completed further research into the families and the Levy lines also link to the Turnpike Levy's.

Edward Lawrence Levy was at one time a solicitor- in 1855 he was listed as a bankrupt formerly at 2 Doughty St; 98 Guildford St Gray's Inn Rd; 2 Falcon Court Fleet St and in 1855 at 37 Gt. Coram Street Russell Square Attorney at Law.

In 1847 Lawrence Levy, Edward's father, appeared as a witness in an Old Bailey Trial and said he had been a Sheriff's Officer for over 25 years.

In 1853 David Lawrence Levy and Edward Lawrence Levy dissolved their partnership - they had been in partnership since 1850- I do not know if they were brothers and whether or not if they were it was David who went to Australia.

In 1875 Edward was again bankrupt as a law clerk and agent at 28 Leicester Square and 53 Sutherland Gardens. He was also stuck off as a solicitor.

Any researchers with knowledge or links to the families see the jacobstree website which contains more details on Edward and his siblings and his own family.

Phillip

phillip
17-01-2010, 8:32 PM
In the Old Bailey online trials 23 May 1892 Edward Lewis age 67 was one of the defendants for theft. In the his son Edward Levy appeared as witness stating that he was a cabinet maker and upholster. He also confirmed that Edward Lewis was his father and a money lender since 1888 ( the court was told that Edward Lewis and Edward Laurence Levy were one in the same person). The son also stated that his father lived in Highgate with his daughter and that another son called Bertie lived in St Paul's Road.

A further witness Benjamin Hart said that he was a second cousin to Edward Levy alias Edward Lewis. Benjamin had lived at 2 Mecklenburg Street for 10 years. Benjamin had been a military tailor as his father had also been.
Benjamin Hart is the son of John Hart and Elizabeth Jacobs my 3x great grandparents.Elizabeth Jacobs is one of the daughters of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses. The Jacobs are the Litzen/Letson line.

Phillip

In this trial Edward Lewis/Edward Laurence Levy received 5 years imprisonment.

phillip
18-01-2010, 9:53 PM
Laurence Levy father of Edward Laurence Levy appears in Jewishgen London trade directory - Laurence Levy and Co ( Sheriff's Officer) 17 Norfolk St Strand and 16 Fetter Street 1846
Phillip

phillip
22-01-2010, 3:14 PM
There is a 1848 record of Lawrence Levy of Fetter Lane and Charles Lewis ( otherwise Levy) attorney and bill discounter 9 Grosvenor St Bond St. Both are wanted by the court for fraud.

I believe that Charles is Lawrence ( Laurence) brother and that is was no coincidence that in 1892 Edward Lawrence Levy used the surname Lewis when he was tried.
In the 1881 census Edward L Levy is an accountant with his family at 38 Lancaster Road London Middlesex:
Edward L Levy 53 b London accountant
Charlotte wife 51 b Surrey
Amelia dau u 29 Professor of Singing ( music)
Daniel son u 26 Articled clerk
Harry son u 24 ""
Edward son u 20 ""
Fred son u 18 ""
Albert son 16 u scholar
Nathan u 14 scholar

Edward Levy and his wife Charlotte are double first cousins as their fathers were brothers and their mothers sisters. Edward's mother is the daughter of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses my 4x great grandparents.
Henry and Kitty's son Lewis married Rawner Simmonds.

When Daniel Levy and Amelia Jacobs were married at the New Synagogue it was the same day as Godfrey Abrahams who married Rachel Simmons.
It is highly possible that Rachel's mother was a Levy.

Phillip

Nb These families all relate to Crawcour/Hart/Jacobs and any researchers and distant relatives should look at the links between the posts made on Jewish Roots

RDWard
11-03-2010, 4:10 PM
Edward Lawrence Levy (ELL) was a cousin of one of my wife's ancestors. He seems to have been notorious. ELL's first fraudulent activity seems to have been collecting bad debts, telling the creditor that they were irrecoverable when they were not, and diverting the proceeds for his own use. This is what he got 18 months for in May 1879, but as noted above, he is back home by the time of the 1881 census.
He then acted as an injury lawyer, claiming compensation for victims of accidents, especially from railway and omnibus companies, providing witnesses to support the claims by paying them to commit perjury. Also, as he was no longer a solicitor himself, he notionally worked as a clerk for solicitors who gave him free rein to carry out his own business in their names (ELL probably brought them lots of business), firstly a Mr Fisher who died in 1878, and then a Mr Micklethwaite who himself was later struck off for his association with ELL. ELL got 5 years for fraud and perjury in 1882. For an interesting account of this injury scheme see the editorial in The Times of Monday, 11th December, 1882, page 9.
In 1892, aged 67, he got another 5 years for receiving stolen curtains from a man called Brett who was stealing them from his employer. I don't yet know what happened after that. He and his family are hard to trace because they used other surnames such as Lewis and Lawrence, and seem to have moved freely between England, the continent and America, but it is fascinating and I am still working on it.
Robert Ward

phillip
11-03-2010, 7:13 PM
Robert-I had noted your data on the Jacobstree website and contacted Carol Freeman who is related to the Jacobs/Levy lines as I am. We both look forward to seeing if you get any further data on Edward particularly if he settled in America. Carol's Levy line moved to America as you will know from the website and I am very interested in identifying any earlier Levy links via Edward's father.
Phillip

RDWard
12-03-2010, 9:25 AM
Phillip
I've managed to trace quite a lot of information about other branches of Edward Lawrence Levy's ancestry (with a great deal of help from my late father-in-law's research carried out in the 1960s), but it is hard going. As stated above, ELL's parents were Lawrence Levy (c1803 - 28th October 1873) and Rebecca Jacobs (c1804 - 30th September 1874). I remain to be convinced that ELL's wife's father, Daniel, was also his uncle - in other words ELL and his wife do seem to be cousins on the maternal Jacobs side, but I am uncertain about them also being cousins on the paternal Levy side. One aspect of this problem is that ELL's grandmother (Lawrence Levy's mother), Elizabeth Nathan (c1783 - 12th November 1859), appears to have married twice, and possibly both her husbands were Levys. Her second husband was William Levy (c1770 - 28th March 1843), but ELL's father Lawrence Levy, and his uncle Charles Lewis (c1801 - 23rd November 1864, my wife's ancestor), to whom ELL was articled in the 1840s before falling out with him, appear to have been fathered by a previous husband because they are described in newspapers as William Levy's step-sons. Elizabeth's will identifies 11 other children going by the name of either Levy or Lewis, but I have not found all their dates of birth, or the date Elizabeth married William Levy, so it is not clear which of Elizabeth's husbands was their father. She does not name a Daniel as one of her children, so if there was a Daniel who was brother to Lawrence and Charles Levy, then one speculative possibility could be that he was fathered by William Levy but to a previous wife, which would make things even more complex and confusing than they already are. I did have one small success yesterday, though, ELL's (second?) son, William Levy, born 14th February 1853, turns up in the 1911 census as William Lawrence (58), a chartered accountant, at 11 Elfindale Road, Herne Hill. There is an Old Bailey case on 26th April 1880 that places him as ELL's son.
Robert

phillip
12-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Robert
Your latest data is very interesting particularly in relation to Daniel Levy. When I was last at the Society of Genealogists I got a copy of the 'Turnpike Levy' family tree written by Colyer Ferguson. I had also met Carole Freeman and Peter Wales at S.O.G. and I know Carole on her last visit to London obtained further data. Daniel Levy appeared as one of the brothers of Nathaniel, Lewis, Moses and I have posted this data on this site under the Turnpike Levy- Jewish Roots- you might care to take a look.

My interest in the Levy lines is more wide spread than the Levy/Jacobs because I also have other Levy linked to my Crawcour lines and again I have posted data on them on this site. My 5th cousin removed Pat Coppel in Australia is convinced that the various families interrelate and I suspect he is right.

Many thanks for your help in discovering this new information.
Carole and I are related via are mutual 4 x great grandparents Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses and back to David Letson and his wife Jane our 5x great grandparents.
Carole will be especially interested in the Daniel Levy question!
Phillip

phillip
12-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Robert
As a follow up on Daniel Levy the Synagogue Scribes site has the marriage of Daniel Levy to Amelia Jacobs 3 March 1824. Daniel's father's Hebrew Name is given as Yehuda n/n Leib HaLevi. I have not done an Advanced search on the Hebrew name to see if it connects with other individuals but I would welcome your comments.
Phillip

phillip
13-03-2010, 2:47 PM
Robert
On Carole Freeman's Jacobs data base records that the parents of Daniel Levy b abt 1793 died 1861 were Judah HaLevi and Sarah bat Nathan
I have looked on Synagogue Scribes for the marriage of Elizabeth Nathan to a Levy/Levi and note 1821 Elizabeth Nathan married David Levi ( father Yehuda Leib - O Co Van Sluy) However,this Elizabeth would have been 38 years old if she was the same Elizabeth who married William Levy and Daniel was born abt 1793.
Daniel's father was recorded as Yehudah Leib Ha Levi in the 1824 marriage to Amelia Jacobs.
I wonder if there are further sources on the Nathan/Levy at S.O.G. that would help unravel the relatiosnships.
Phillip

RDWard
19-03-2010, 5:40 PM
See The Times of Thursday 20th February 1845, page 8, C. J. Mathew's insolvency. Daniel Levi, glass and china dealer of Old Kent Road, one of the creditors, said he was introduced to Mathews by "Mr Lawrence Levi (his brother-in-law)". This case relates to the Levy's bill-discounting (money lending) activities, and there is an implication that Lawrence lent the money to Daniel so that he could lend it to Mathews, in order to obscure things. The advances were made at the offices of Charles Lewis of The Albany (Lawrence's brother or half-brother), and the Mr Lewis who acts for D and L Levi is probably John Lewis, another Levy/Lewis brother (a letter from him about the case is in the Morning Chronicle of 12th April 1845). The point here is that the report suggests ELL's parents' fathers were not brothers, which means he married his single first cousin (Charlotte), not double first cousin as has been suggested. Daniel and Lawrence could have been related some other way though, I would not be surprised if they were.
Regarding the last post about ELL's grandmother, I think that refers to a different Elizabeth because in 1841 she is with William (not David) at High Road, Hayes, Middlesex (HO107; Piece 655; F36; p18) and some of their children including John Lewis the solicitor, are listed just above them.

phillip
19-03-2010, 9:03 PM
The family tree for the 'Turnpike Levy' which includes Daniel Levy produced by Colyer Ferguson is in 2 parts.
The records show Lewis Levy of 53 Tavistock Square b 1786 d 1856; Moses Levy of 53 Tavistock Square b 1787 d 1870; Nathaniel Levy b 1788 d 1860; Daniel Levy b 1796 d 1860. Their father is unknown. 2nd record shows Lewis and Eleazer Levy but not the other brothers and no dates of birth or death are given for Eleazer. Interestingly there is a gap of 8 years approx between the birth of Nathaniel and Daniel which might suggest another marriage or another child born who may be Eleazer.
I am hoping that Carole Freeman may be able to shed more light on the relationships.
Phillip

phillip
19-03-2010, 9:22 PM
The Synagogue Scribes records of the Gt Synagogue Marriages show that Daniel and Lawrence Levy ( Eleazer Lazer) both had the same father namely Yehudah Leib HaLevi. There was only 2 years separating the two marriages - Daniel married 1824 and Lawrence in 1826. This suggests that the Colyer Ferguson record which shows Eleazer ( Lawrence) as a brother of Lewis appears to be correct.
What are your comments Robert bearing in mind the Times article but the Synagogue records showing that Daniel and Lawrence had the same father.
Phillip

RDWard
20-03-2010, 6:13 PM
Mmmm that does seem pretty clear. This is difficult to make sense of. Did Lawrence and Daniel also have the same mothers?
Was Jehuda Lieb Ha Levi the same person as William Levy, sheriffs officer of Newman Street, who died aged 72 at 32 Strand on 28th March 1843? This is the William I have as married to Elizabeth Nathan, who I have as mother of both Charles Lewis (to a previous husband) and Lawrence Levy (not sure now as to whether or not to a previous husband).
Robert

RDWard
21-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Here is a possible explanation of things, regard it as a hypothesis, which means it cannot be proved, only shot down by inconsistent evidence.
I am assuming Yehudah Lieb Ha Levi and William Levy are one and the same. William was 72 when he died on 28th March 1843, dating his birth c1770. This makes him rather young to be the father of all the Turnpike Levys mentioned, but not Daniel (ELL’s father-in-law).
William’s wife Elizabeth Levy (nee Nathan – as suggested below) died aged 75 on 12th November 1859, dating her birth c1784. She mentions a lot of children in her will, including Charles Lewis and Lawrence Levy. She does not, however, mention Daniel, who was still living when she made her will. I assume she would have mentioned him had he been her son. So Daniel may have been William Levy’s son by a previous marriage. If he was born c1796, William would still have been married to a previous wife at this time.
We know Elizabeth was married twice because in all of the reports of the case of Lewis v Tonks it makes it very clear that Charles Lewis was a step-son of William Levy born to his wife by a previous marriage. Charles was 63 when he died on 23rd November 1864, dating his birth c1801, so Elizabeth did not marry William until after 1801. There is also another step-son, George Lewis, the auctioneer, identified as a step-son of William in reports of the cases of Goldsmid v Levy and Lewis (1836). I need to find out more about him: he has to be born before 1801 to be consistent with my hypothesis.
ELL’s father, Lawrence Levy died 28th October, 1873, aged 71, which means he was born c1802. As Elizabeth refers to him in her will as her son, and as it appears he was a true son of William Levy, then Elizabeth and William must have married around 1802. I wonder about this, though, because the next child, Amelia Levy later Amelia Neck, seems not to have come along until 1807, which would be a better gap to accommodate a marriage, but Elizabeth does refer to Lawrence in her will as her son.
Children after Lawrence appear to have been Amelia Levi/Neck (c1807-1900), John Lewis (c1809-55), Frances Levi/Israel (c1815-1873), Morrice Levy (c1811-1875), Julia Levy/Ellis (c1817?-?), Hannah Levy/Harris (c1819?-?), Edward Lewis (c1820-1866), Henry Levy (c1822-1904), Louisa Lewis (c1826-?). Elizabeth also mentions a James Levy in her will: I have no further information about him.
Regarding the name Nathan, Elizabeth’s youngest son (as she describes him in her will), Henry Levy, who died 2nd June 1904, named his cousin Henry Nathan Newton as main executor. He was son of Lawrence Isaac Nathan, which is where we get the conclusion that Elizabeth Levy was originally Elizabeth Nathan. Now doesn’t that open up another can of worms!
Just to end this long post, numerous press reports tie the various family members together. The Levys, Harts, Jacobs, Nathans seem all to get involved in endorsing bills to each other, and consequently being named in court cases. Figaro in London, which printed some highly anti-Semitic pieces that would most definitely be illegal today*, commented on June 10th, 1837, p91 “Old Levy is a sheriff's officer in Newman Street - and of his sons; Lawrence Levy is the lessee of The Victoria [theatre], and a bailiff in Fetter Lane, - and he has a brother who calls himself Charles, and who has got somehow or other admitted an attorney, while there is another, George, (also Lewis) who is an auctioneer, or was an auctioneer somewhere. The lawyer angles for clients, and when he has caught them, the bailiff arrests them, and the auctioneer sells them up, so that if a man is to be eaten up, devoured and done for, not a bone need go out of the family.” [*e.g. elsewhere they refer to George Lewis as “a miserable little Israelite”, “the little crooked nose auctioneer G. Lewis, brother of Levy"].

phillip
21-03-2010, 8:49 AM
Thank you very much for the additional data Robert. If you look on Carole Freemans data base on the Jacobstree website you will see that she has not confirmed the father of Moses or Lawrence Levy who both appear on the Colyer Ferguson family tree of the 'Turnpike Levy). However, what Carole has done is to record the mothers of Moses and Daniel. In the case of Daniel she has recorded Sarah bat Nathan and for Moses she has recorded Rosetta b abt 1770 abroad- she cites the 1841 census as her source. I know that Carole did obtain further data on the families but have no idea exactly what it was. When I went to S.O.G. on my last visit I made copies of the some of the Colyer Ferguson Levy families but not from Hyamson. The National Oxford Biography does have an article on Lewis Levy - 'farmer of Turnpikes' - his brother Nathaniel was also very wealthy so I believe that there are wills for these brothers which may or may not contain further data.
From Carole's data there is uncertainty as to who the fathers were of the various Levy and also it appears that the mothers were also different. Unfortunately Carole does not cite records for her data and I have no idea as to why she has no dates for Lawrence when she had a copy of the Colyer Ferguson tree. which gives the dates of birth and death for Lewis, Moses, Nathaniel, Daniel, Lawrence which based on other sources are correct.

I am also interested as to why Daniel does not appear to have followed the same lines as his 'brothers' in terms of occupation. There is still a lot we do not know and I am hoping that Carole will 'fill in' some of the gaps. I do intend to re-visit S.O.G. so may discover more.
Phillip

phillip
21-03-2010, 9:30 AM
I see on the National Archives site Wills that there is the will of William Levy 88 Newman St Oxford Street 11 April 1843- there were 2 deaths of William Levy's in 1843 and I know the address for the will does not match the Strand address or the date of his death but it does appear to match the Newman St address and is only a few days later. Do you think that the will refers to 'our' William?

Also, if you go onto the Advance search on Synagogue Scribes you will see references to various Yehuda Levy and a couple to Yehuda Leib HaLevi - for example the marriage of David Levi 1818; Abraham Levi 1821; Rachel Levi 1821. I have no idea if the father's Hebrew name is merely a coincidence when connected to the same father of Daniel and Lawrence.
Phillip

RDWard
21-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Notice of death in The Times of 30th March 1843 "On the 28th inst., at his residence, in the Strand, Mr. William Levy, late of Newman-street, Oxford-street, in the 73rd year of his age, much respected by a numerous circle of friends and acquaintances." The wills of William and his wife were tracked down by my father-in-law in the 1960s, a considerable achievement then, not least because they had always thought their family name was Lewis, of Welsh origin, not Levy, a myth probably started by Charles Lewis. The truth outraged some members of the family.
Will of William Levy: made 25th March, 1842; proved 11th April, 1843.
This is the last Will and testament of me William Levy of Number 88 Newman Street Oxford Street in the County of Middlesex and of Hayes(?) in the said County Gentleman. Firstly I desire that all my just debts funeral and testamentary expenses be paid and satisfied by my Executrix herein after named as soon as conveniently may be after my decease And beyondly(?) I give devise and bequeath unto my dear wife Elizabeth Levy all my Estate and Effects whatsoever and wheresoever both real personal or mixed whether in possession reversion remainder or exportanry(?) together with all such bills of exchange promissory notes bonds and other securities with all my books plate jewells household furniture and linen and all other other such(?) property whereof I may be possessed at the time of my decease And I nominate constitute and appoint my said dear wife Elizabeth Levy to be sole Executrix of this my will And hereby revoking all former or other Wills by me at any time heretofore made I declare this to be my last Will and Testament In witness whereof I the said William Levy have to the my last Will and Testament my hand the twenty fifth day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty two - William Levy - Signed by the testator William Levy in the presence of us present at the same time who have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses in the presence of the said testator and each other - C Lewis 3 Albany Court Yard Piccadilly - Edward Lewis.
Proved at London the 11th April 1843 before the worshipful John Daubeny Doctor of Laws and Surrogate by the Oath of Elizabeth Levy Widow the Relict the sole Executrix to whom Administration was granted having been first sworn only to administer.
Notice of death in The Times, 26th November 1859. "On the 12th inst., at 139, Strand, in her 76th year, Elizabeth, relict of Wm. Levy, late of Newman-street, Oxford-street.
Will
In the name of God, Amen. I, Elizabeth Levy, now residing at No. 139 Strand, in the County of Middlesex, widow, do hereby publish and declare this to be my last will and testament hereby revoking and making void all former will or wills heretofore made by me. First I do hereby nominate constitute and appoint my Son Charles Lewis of the Albany Courtyard, Piccadilly, in the County of Middlesex, Gentleman, sole Executor of this my will and Trustee for the purposes hereinafter declared I give and bequeath to my said Executor and Trustee all my personal estate and effects whatsoever of what kind or nature soever. Upon the trusts and for the purposes hereinafter mentioned save and except all that and those my leasehold houses situate number 342 in the Strand in the said County of Middlesex in the occupation of Mr. Painter and nos. 19 20 and 21 in Catherine Street in the Strand in the said County which I give and bequeath to my said executor and trustee upon the trusts following that is to say Upon trust to receive and take the rents issues and profits thereof and pay out moiety thereof to Julia the wife of John Soloman Ellis for her sole and separate use and benefit and not to be subject to the dues liabilities or engagements of her present or any future husband and her receipt alone shall be a good and sufficient discharge to my said Executor and Trustee and with respect to the other moiety of such rents and profits as aforesaid I hereby authorise and desire my said Executor to retain the same and apply the same in the education the two youngest children of the said Julia Ellis lawfully begotten by the said John Solomon Ellis as far as the same will meet such expense or retain the same in his hands in order that at the expiration of my term in the said premises to place the said Julia Ellis in some way of business as my said Executor and Trustee may think fit at his discretion and I hereby authorise and empower my said Executor and Trustee to set & demise the said several messuages hereinbefore mentioned and also the leasehold house and premises hereinbefore mentioned for such time or term and at such rents as to him shall seem expedient and either together or separately as he shall think proper And also save and except all that my leasehold house number [number omitted] Doddington Grove, Kennington in the County of Surrey now in the occupation of Miss Prince which I also give and bequeath to my said Executor and Trustee upon the trusts following that is to say Upon trust to receive the rents and profits thereof and to pay the same to my daughter Louisa Levy for her own sole and separate use and not to be subject to the debts or engagements of any future husband and her receipt alone shall be a good and sufficient dischage for the same. I give and bequeath to my daughter Frances Israel the sum of £100 but which such bequest shall be paid to her by my said Executor and Trustee by weekly payments of 10/- per week. I give and bequeath to my daughter Amelia Neck the sum of £100. I also give and beqeath to the said Julia Ellis the sum of £100. I give and bequeath to my daughter Hannah Harris the sum of £100. I also give and bequeath to my said daughter Louisa Levy the sum off £300 but which said several bequests shall not be subject to the debts engagements or control of their present or any future husband and their receipts alone shall be a sufficient discharge to my said Executor. I give and bequeath to my son
PAGE TWO
James Levy the legacy or sum of £200 I give and bequeath to my son Edward Lewis the legacy or sum of £200 and to my son George Lewis the legacy or sum of £200 and as to all the residue and remainder of my said personal estate of whatsoever nature or kind direct my said Trustee and Executor to pay and divide the same equally share and share alike between and amongst him my said son the said Charles Lewis and my sons Lawrence Levy and Maurice Levy or such of them as shall be living at the time of my decease but all my just debts and engagements funeral and testamentary expenses shall be first paid and deducted therefrom before the division thereof and inasmuch as I sometime since gave to Henry Levy my youngest son a sum of £400 and also a quantity of furniture to enable him to commence his profession of an attorney and solicitor and taking into consideration he has no family I consider that he is not entitled to take any thing under this my will and I hereby direct that the bequest to my said son George Lewis hereinbefore mentioned shall beabsolutely vested in my said Executor and Trustee and not be subject to his debts or engagements and that he my said Executor and Trustee shall have full power to retain the same or pay out the same and pay to him my said son George Lewis the interest and benefit arising therefrom during his life and after his death I direct that the principal shall be equally divided between and amongst his children by his second marriage lawfully begotten when they shall attain the age of 21 years or be married but nevertheless if my said Trustee and Executor shall thinkfit he shall be at liberty to give the said George Lewis the said sum of £200 to enable him to commence business with the same but such shall be entirely at the discretion of my said Execulor and Trustee and shall not be compulsory upon him inasmuch as I have full confidence in my said Executor and Trustee who will use and exercise his discretion in the matter to the best of his ability and inasmuchas the greater part of this my estate consists of monies out at interest and of debts due and owing to me and in order to enable my said Executor to collect and get in the same for distribution I do hereby expressly direct and declare that lay said Executor and Trustee shall not be compelled to make any payment to any person or persons taking any interest under this my will or in respect to any of the bequests hereinbefore mentioned before the expiration of 12 calendar months from the date of my decease and should any of my said children after my decease commence or institute any proceedings either at law or in equity touching the validity of this my will in respect to my said estate or in any way relating to the bequests herein contained or in relation to this mywill I do hereby expressly declare and direct that any bequest herein made to such of my said children who shall commence or institute such proceedings as aforesaid shall wholly cease and become void and such bequest shall sink into and become part of the residue of my said estate In witness thereof I the said Elisabeth Levy the testatrix have to this my last will and testament set my hand and seal this 18th day of February in the year of our Lord 1857 E Levy. Signed published and declared by the said Elizabeth Levy as and for her last will and testament in the presence of us both present at the same time who in her presence at her request and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses Will A.Maxwell, 52 Prebend Street, New North Road, Islington, and I.H. Austin, 11 Bedford Place, Ampthill Square
This is a Codicil to the last will and Testament of her Elizabeth Levy of number 139 Strand in the County of Middlesex, widow, whereas by my last will and testament bearing date 18th day of February in the year of our Lord 1857 did amongst other things give devise and bequeath to my son Charles Lewis of number 1 Albany Courtyard, Piccadilly in the County of Middlesex, Gentleman, all those my leasehold houses situate and being number 342 Strand in the occupation of Mr. Painter and nos. 19 20 and 21 Catherine Street, Strand, aforesaid, upon trust to receive
PAGE THREE
the rents and profits thereof and thereout to pay out moiety to my daughter Julia Ellis for her sole and separate use as therein mentioned and as to the other moiety thereof to pay and apply the same towards the education of the two youngest children of my said daughter in manner as in my said will as mentioned now it is my mind and will and I do hereby revoke annul and make void such bequests as aforesaid and in lieu thereof I hereby give devise and bequeath all and singular the said leasehold houses messuages tenements and premises unto my said son Charles Lewis who I have by my said will appointed sole executor and trustee thereof and which appointment I hereby ratify and confirm his executors and administrators upon trust to receive and take the rents issues aid profits thereof and annually to pay and divide the same equally between and amongst my daughters Frances Israel, Julia Ellis and Louisa Levy and my son George Lewis the payments to lay said daughters to be for their sole and separate use and not subject to the debts or liabilities of their present or any future husband and their receipt alone shall be a good and sufficient discharge to my said Executor and Trustee and except as aforementioned I hereby ratify and confirm my said last will and testament in all other respects matters and things whatsoever in witness thereof I the said Elizabeth Levy have to this my codicil to my last will and testament set my hand and seal this 4th day of October in the year of our Lord 1858 E Levy. Signed sealed published and declared by the said Elizabeth Levy as and for a codicil to her last will and testament in the presence of us present at the same time who at her request in her presence and also in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses. Edward Tyrrell Lewis, 102 Kings Road Brighton and Albert H. Lewis, Kings Road Brighton.
Proved at London with a codicil l7th December 1859 by the oath of Charles Lewis the son, the sole executor to whom admon. was granted.

phillip
22-03-2010, 12:30 PM
If William is Judah Levy then it appears that he had two sets of children by two different wives but also the earlier Levi including Nathaniel, Moses, Lewis were not his children but Daniel and Lawrence were- according to the Synagogue records of marriage. However, that does not explain why Elizabeth left a bequest to Lawrence but not Daniel.Unless Daniel's mother died and William re- married to Elizabeth. You will note that there is Sarah Nathan and Elizabeth Nathan- are they one in the same? Do you have any more details of who the children of Elizabeth married? I have a copy of Berger 1861-70 but can see no records of the Levy names you mention ( Moses Levy and his family are recorded ) but they may appear in the 1870-81 volume and also in the later JC records.
Phillip

RDWard
23-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Phillip
The 1870s Berger has a good set of cross references linking William Levy to some of his children, including Lawrence and Lawrence's son ELL.
It would not be surprising if William had earlier children, bearing in mind he was 13 or 14 years older than Elizabeth, but I had not come across a Sarah Nathan. I'll look into that. I also have further things to do on Elizabeth's children. I do however keep coming back to the C J Mathews insolvency case (1845) in which Lawrence and Daniel are described as brothers-in-law rather than brothers (albeit a term that could mean step-brothers too).
I am running out of ideas for searching the old newspapers, but another intriguing case is the prominent The King v Meyer and others (1819), which involves a Lewis Levy of 7 Prescot Street, Goodmans Fields, an address at which, according to my father-in-law, trade directories place William Levy, sheriff's officer, in 1822. This Lewis Levy is clearly said to be the son of a David Levy, who was also indicted but dismissed, and Lewis Levy's wife's brothers are named as Joseph, William and Alexander Leigh. It seems possible that William Levy simply took over the address after Lewis was sent to prison, or perhaps there is indeed some family link. (The case was about a group who built up credit by frequently moving money between bank accounts to give the impression of being successful merchants, then buying goods on credit in Manchester and Glasgow, and then going bankrupt, having first disposed of the goods in London, Paris and India. One report estimates the total value at £100,000).
What I conclude from all of this is that it seems to suggest that ELL's grandfather, William Levy, could well have been born into an English Jewish family rather than coming from abroad as my father-in-law speculated. All we know from the 1841 census is that William was born outside Middlesex. Of course, what my father-in-law did not know, was that William was not his ancestor, being only Charles Lewis' step-father.
One further point to mention is that there is another Jacobs link. I said that William's youngest son, Henry, who married Elizabeth Hurwitz (also known as Simkins) and both died in 1904 (she died 19th March and he 2nd June), named his cousin Henry Nathan Newton auctioneer as executor. He was the son of Lawrence Isaac Nathan (another sheriff's officer). Another of Lawrence Isaac's children was Leah Nathan who married Angelo Jacobs on the 26th June 1872.
Robert

phillip
24-03-2010, 7:39 AM
I have read the cases related to Lewis Levy ( see Google Books for copies of the original records) and see he was in trouble again in 1834 for bills discounting. In the 1841 London Trade Directory there are 2 entries for Lewis Levy's- one as a bill broker 3 Crescent Place Blackfriars and a Lewis Levy solicitor 77 King William St City

I have not looked further on JewishGen or the Historical Directories site or in my own CDs of the London Trade Directories but this might prove useful. My Jacobs distant cousin Gerry Newnham has also discovered yesterday further Nathan links to our Jacobs lines so we may discover more.
Phillip

RDWard
25-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Phillip
Google books seem worth a good sifting through. Much of my legal information so far is from the old newspapers, but Google books looks another good source (short of spending hours in a legal library). I've spent just a few minutes searching and come up with the following marvellous stuff:
The Solicitors Journal and Reporter, January 30th 1864, page 243
Jan 25th re Mr E L Levy ... called upon to to show why he should not be struck off the rolls of the court ... argued that complaints were not made by people interested in the actions or by the Law Society "but by Mr. Charles Lewis, his uncle, and also by his cousin, who were actuated against him by the most vindictive of feelings, the former having on more than one occasion said he would never rest satisfied until he had sent him shoeless and a beggar into the streets." This was denied by Charles Lewis. The matter was referred upwards.
From the newspapers, later that year, Charles was accused of slander (guilty), and not guilty of assaulting one of ELL's employees called Louis Levite (Levite v Lewis, Queens Bench, 20th June 1864). No doubt ELL was highly pleased when Charles Lewis died on 23rd November that year.
Another case of interest (from the newspapers) is Jacobs v Tarleton at Croydon Assizes, 7th August 1847, where Charlotte Levy's ageing father, Henry Jacobs, seems to have been drawn into the Levy devious schemes, ending up in debtors prison until Lawrence bought him out.
Robert

phillip
26-03-2010, 2:18 PM
Well done Robert for pursuing the research further. As you know Henry Jacobs is my 4 x great grandfather so I am intrigued to discover he was placed in the debtors prison. Is the newspaper source on Google Books? If not I would appreciate any further data. I believe that I saw some time ago the links between Lawrence and Edward Levy and my other 3x great grandfather John Hart -tailor 66 Quadrant and earlier 319 Strand. Any further data on him and the Levy much appreciated. John was married the Elizabeth Jacobs daughter of Henry- looks as if my lines came off worse through the Levy association!
Phillip

RDWard
27-03-2010, 11:13 AM
The 19th century newspapers and periodicals are accessible on Gale Cengage databases. Universities tend to have access, also some public libraries, and I think you can pay too, but searching them is a real art form because of alternative spellings (Levi/Levy Laurence/Lawrence Maurice/Morris/Morrice), and also because it does an optical character search of page images giving lots of false positives, and missing things you know to be there.

Kerrywood
27-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Many members have free online access from home to the British Library newspaper databases, and to many other useful reference sources, through their county library service.

If your county subscribes, all you need is the number on your library card. It's worth checking out before subscribing to the paysite.

phillip
27-03-2010, 5:26 PM
The Bankers Magazine Vol 7 1848 gives an account of the trial of Henry Jacobs v Rev John Edward Tarleton rector of Chelsfield and Lamborough Kent.
The trial was to recover the amount of Tarleton's acceptance upon a bill of exchange of £100. The defence for Tarleton argued that he was the " victim of a gang of swindlers and parties to the fraud".
Moses Jacobs was called as a witness and stated that his father was living with some members of his family and entirely dependent upon them for support. " His father was not worth a shilling... he was seventy five years old and he was not able to write". Verdict was given to the defendent.
Moses Jacobs also said his father " had not given Mr Lewis any instructions to bring an action" and this was supported by other unamed witnesses.

It appears that yet again the Lewis/Levy relatives were involved in trying to obtain funds through bill discounting and lending but embroiling my 4x great grandfather Henry Jacobs in the attempted swindle.

I am not however convinced that Henry Jacobs could not write because he had owned his own glass manufacturing factory many years earlier which begs the question how he could have done this without being literate. It maybe that he was too infirm to do so by 1847 but this is speculation.

Nb Henry Jacobs is the son of David Jacobs ( Litzen) part of the Jacobs glass dealers and manufacturers in Soho and Crown Street from the early 1800s to the 1860s.

The summary of the trial is on Google Books.

Thanks to Robert for pointing me to the source
Phillip

phillip
28-03-2010, 12:47 PM
As further follow up and for my Jacobs and Lewis/Levi relatives the newspaper accounts of the trial of Jacobs v Tarleton reveal that Henry Jacobs age 75 was in Whitecross Street Prison Islington in 1847. This prison was built 1813-1815 to accomodate debtors. A debtor could be be placed in the prison for 21 days without trial.
The prison held 400 prisoners and some 2000 annually. The London Metropolital Archives hold records of the prisoners.
In the trial of 1847 Moses Jacobs was called as a witness and said he was an agent for an attorney. It appeared from the trial that his father Henry Jacobs had been previously involved with twenty affadivavits for bills and that these actions were defended by Mr John Lewis real name Levi. Mr Lawrence Levi sheriff's officer had paid for the affidavit amounts and John Lewis ( alias Levi) was his son.

The trial evidence suggests a possible 'scam' involving Lewis alias Levi using Henry Jacobs as his 'tool'. It is also possible that Moses Jacobs knew about the 'scams' since he admitted he attended many of the court hearings as a law agent and may have been more deeply implicated with John Lewis nee Levi.
Phillip

phillip
28-03-2010, 7:57 PM
In the 1829 trial of Bushnell and others v Levi the defendant lived in Newman Street, Oxford Street and prior to that he had carried on business of a sheriff's officer in Fetter Lane under the firm William Levi and Son and had rented offices or counting houses in Fetter Lane- Lawrence Levi was named as the son.

In the case of Levi v Abbott July 1849 Emanuel Lawrence Levi is attorney to the plaintiff ( this appears to be Edward Lawrence Levy using his Hebrew first name).

In Punch there is reference to Mr Lawrence Levi the Hon MP for Fetter Lane with an earlier reference to Lawrence Levi by Charles Dickens and co- writers. Both accounts ridicule Levi.

All these accounts and others are recorded in sources from Google Books. The account of William Levi and Son suggests that William maybe Judah Levi.
Phillip
Phillip

lionsmom
24-07-2010, 9:19 PM
I've just logged on and found this thread. I will try to clarify my conclusions but it may take several weeks as I've got a few other projects to finish first (column for magazine, daughter's wedding plans). I do have references for some of my conclusions. From Daniel's marriage i have his father's name but I don't know his mother (although some information on this thread may help). I am convinced from census reports and Moses Levy's will that his mother was Rosetta but I don't know his father. Nathaniel Turnpike Levy left money to Daniel's daughter Catherine so I assume they were related but I don't have corroboration for any other connection between the Turnpike Levys and Moses and Daniel. The information about ELL is interesting and I'll analyze it and post my conclusions.

phillip
23-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Following further research I enclose various census records for Edward Lawrence Levy and hsi family:
(records held by TNA, Crown copyright)

1851 HO107/1495 folio 418 page 14
2 Doughty Street
Edward Lawrence Levy Head Married 23 Solicitor b City of London Middx
Charlotte Levy wife 22 b Surrey Old Kent Road

1861 RG9 103 folio 117 page 5
44 Burton Crescent St Pancras Marylebone
Edward Lawrence Levy Head Married 33 Solicitor B Middx
Charlotte Levy wife 32 b Surrey Middx
William son 8 b Middx
Daniel son 6 b Middx
Henry son 5 b Middx
Constance dau 3 b Middx
Augustus son 2 b Middx
Edward son 8 mths b Middx
Frances Nathan visitor widow 72 Fund Holder b Dorset Poole

I have previously put the 1881 census on this posting

Interestingly and bearing in mind that two of Edward's sons were to receive prison sentences there is the English and Wales Criminal Register entry of 28 June 1880 - HO27 186 P 268 for Augustus Lawrence otherwise Augustus Lawrence Levy for larcency whilst servant 5 years imprisonment. The Old Bailey trial stated that there were 3 offences for the crime. Augustus was age 21 which suggests he maybe the same Augustus who appears as the son of Edward in the 1861 Census.

Phillip

phillip
23-01-2011, 3:25 PM
The following record extracts relate to the Lawrence Levy/Laurance Levy father of Edward Lawrence Levy and his relatives:
London Post Office Directory 1848
Daniel Levy china and glass dealer 30 Surrey Place Old Kent Road

Henry Levy solicitor 10 Norfolk Street Strand

Jonas Levy turnpike contractor 29 Aldenmanbury
same address Lewis Levy solicitor

Morrice Levy wine merchant 25 Norfolk Street and 6 Howard Street Strand

Lawrence Levy wine merchant 17 Norfolk Street Strand
Nb Same address Lawrence Levy and Co sheriff's officer 16 Fetter Lane and 17 Norfolk Street Strand

1856 London Post Office Directory

Morrice Levy wine merchant 25 Norfolk Street and 6 Howard Street

Charles Lewis solicitor 1 Albany Court Yard Piccadilly

1860 London Royal Blue Book

Edward Laurence Levy 44 Burton Crescent and 29 Henrietta Street Covent Garden WC
Morrice Levy 29 Guidford St Russel Square
Daniel Levy 22 Hunter Street Brunswick Square
Moses Levy 53 Tavistock Square
Lawrence Levy 52 Woburn Terrace Hyde Park

Phillip

phillip
25-01-2011, 8:42 PM
The 1891 English Census Record RG12/173 ( Records held by TNA, Crown Copyright)
show that Edward Lawrence Levy had changed his family surname to Lewis and was living at 14 Beresford Road Islington with his wife and daughter. At 16 Beresford Road was his son Frederick
14 Beresford Road Islington Highbury
Edward Lewis Head M 64 Financial Agent ( Broker) b London Fleet Street
Charlotte Lewis wife 62 b Old Kent Road Surrey
Emilie dau S 25 b Clerkenwell
There were 2 visitors at the address- both clerk's
Carl Lagenbach
? Lengo

16 Beresford Road Islington Highbury
Frederick Lewis Head S 28 Solicitor's Managing Clerk b Old Kent Road Surrey
Catherine V Russell Aunt widow 39 Living on own means b Covent Garden Surrey
The house had boarders

The Probate Records show:
Edward Lewis 14 Beresford Road Canonbury Middx
died 20 0ct 1892 Wormwood Scrubs Prison Middx
Effects of £275 to Frederick Lewis Solicitor's Managing Clerk

It seems that Edward spent a limited time in prison preceding his death
Phillip

Kerrywood
25-01-2011, 8:58 PM
It seems that Edward spent a limited time in prison preceding his death
He was convicted at the Old Bailey on 23 May 1892 (http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=def2-567-18920523&div=t18920523-567#highlight) and sentenced to 5 years' imprisonment.

phillip
25-01-2011, 10:19 PM
The following census records connects Frederick Levy alias Frederick Lewis and his father Edward Lawrence Levy to the Daniel Levy family which relates to Carole Freeman and the Jacobs lines.

See Central Criminal Court- Old Bailey England and wales Criminal Registers 1791-1892 H022; Piece 222 Page 229 ( Records held by TNA Crown Copyright)
Edward Lewis Trial Date 23 May 1892 Larceny and former convictions of felony -5 years

1901 Census RG 13/128 f110 p26 ( Records held by TNA Crown Copyright)
77 Fordwych Road Hampstead
Frederick Lewis S 40 Solicitors Managing Clerk b St Pancras Middx
Catherine V Russell Aunt widow 56 living on own means b Southwark
Angelina Lindow Aunt widow 62 livinmg on own means b Southwark
Louisa Moss visitor widow 65 b St Marylebone Stand living on own means
Ella Lindow cousin s 21 authoress and governess b Highbury
Amelia Lewis sister s 50 living on own means

Phillip

RDWard
21-04-2012, 5:02 PM
Mention is made in the posts above of Edward's brother David Lawrence Levy. Yes, he did emigrate to Australia and was admitted as a solicitor in Sydney in 1853. He became very prominent in the Jewish community there, and wealthy. A search of the Australian newspapers for David Lawrence/Laurence Levy produces a large number of references. Also see http://genealogy.metastudies.net/ZDocs/HCohen/HP049-50.HTM (note1 about David's father at the bottom of this link is currently wrong so I have sent in a correction). A marriage notice in the Sydney Morning Herald of 8th November 1855 clearly identifies David as the second son of Lawrence Levy of Woburn Place, Russell Square (see 1861 census).
David married Jane Cohen, daughter of Henry Cohen. Jane was born in Australia in 1837 after her father Henry Heinz Cohen had been deported in 1833 for accepting a stolen bill of exchange, although it is doubtful he knew it was stolen. As Henry Cohen was a wealthy merchant his wife and large family were all able to settle in Australia too, and Jane was born there.
Amongst the newspaper references to David is mention of a William L Laurence. I suspect this is William Lawrence Levy, another brother of David and Edward Lawrence Levy, but have no evidence either way for that yet.
Robert Ward

phillip
21-04-2012, 7:23 PM
Good to hear from you again Robert. It is interesting to note the Levy/Cohen connection and there is a very large website which details the Henry Cohen and Cassirer families including various data on my own Hart/Crawcour and other lines. Your latest data suggests further potential links between the families which require research.
Phillip

phillip
21-04-2012, 8:45 PM
The relationship between the Levy/Cohen/Hart lines in very brief summary ( see further data on the Cohen/Cassirer site posted by Robert as a link) is that the parents of James Simmons also a convict transported were Nathan Simmons and Sarah Frankil. James married Agnes Thorley and their daughter Sarah married David John Hart son of John Hart and Elizabeth Jacobs. James Simmons sister Elizabeth Simmons married Henry Heinz Cohen and David Lawrence/Laurence Levy married Jane Cohen daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Cohen. The further Lawrence Levy links to my Jacobs line have been described on previous postings relating to the Edward Lawrence Levy lines and his father Lawrence.
Phillip

phillip
22-04-2012, 4:51 PM
In an earlier posting Robert referred to William Lawrence Levy brother of David. Here are two census references to William:
1841 Census HO 107 690 5 ( Crown Copyright,TNA)- this reference relates to a Jew's school where David Levy 12;William Levy 11; Catherine Levy 9 and Elizabeth Levy 10 are pupils. These are children of Lawrence and Rebecca Levy.
1851 Census HO 107 1512 67 23 -17 Norfolk St Middx
Lawrence Levy H M 35 Wine Merchant b Middx;William L Levy son u 21 Auctioneer b London;Catherine Levy dau 19 b London;Elizabeth Levy dau 17

The family also appear in the same 1851 census ( HO 107 1608 467 32 - ( Crown Copyright, TNA) but at Gravesend where Lawrence is now age 48 Wine Merchant with his wife Rebecca and some of their children.
Lawrence Levy died at 60 Sutherlands Gardens Harrow Road Paddington Middx on 23 Oct 1873 -his daughter Rebecca was his executor -effects under £50.
Rebecca Levy nee Jacobs his wife died at the same address on 29 Sept 1874 and her Residuary Legatee was also Rebecca Levy her daughter spinster residing in France.

The entry regarding Rebecca Levy nee Jacobs being a widow in 1846 referred to on the Jacobs Family history website ( this is the large website containing significant data on the descendants of David Jacobs- also known as Letson/Litzen from Germany) is an error. This error appears to have occurred following a newspaper article in the Daily News ( London) Thursday Jan 22 1846 in which Edward Lawrence Levy an articled clerk of Mr Charles Lewis solicitor of Grosvenor St produced a record of judgement obtained by Mrs Levy ( no reference is made to her first name or her relationship to Edward Levy) the executrix of her husband, for £1661 12s 8d. Without looking back on the various Levy records I suspect that she is Elizabeth Levy wife of William Levy and grandmother of Edward but this needs to be confirmed. The above probate records show clearly that Lawrence Levy husband of Rebecca was alive until 1873.
Phillip

RDWard
23-04-2012, 9:33 AM
(1) Lawrence Levy does indeed appear twice in the 1851 census, once at Oak Cottage, Gravesend, age shown as 48, and once at 17 Norfolk Street, Strand, age shown as 35. The two entries both refer to the same person because different members of his family are with him at the two addresses, and Norfolk Street was his address in 1841. As the Gravesend age is the correct one I would speculate that that is where he actually was.
(2) Regarding the 1846 newspaper report. This concerns a case re Gibbs in the Insolvent Debtors Court. The case is reported in The Times as well as in the Morning Post, both reports on the 22nd January 1846. The Morning Post names "Mrs Levy" (no first name) as the executrix of her husband's estate, referred to as "Mr. Levy" (no first name). The Times names her as 'Mrs Elizabeth Levi' (spelling as reported). However, The Times then goes on to mention "Lawrence Levi" the holder of the bills concerned, and "the late Lawrence Levi". I think this is the source of the error, and as Phillip says, everything else shows indisputably that Lawrence was still alive and therefore the holder of Gibb's bill was actually Elizabeth's late husband William Levy. Phillip is correct that Elizabeth and William Levy were the grandparents of Edward Lawrence Levy, also the mother and stepfather of Charles Lewis to whom Edward Lawrence Levy was articled.
(3) I am gradually adding (not yet completed) the descendants of William Levy and Elizabeth (possibly Nathan) to a public tree on Ancestry. My starting point for this, several years ago, is my late father-in-law's (Dermot Tyrrell-Lewis) research which he carried out in the 1960s and 1970s (when you needed to be truly persistent and dedicated). We have made his written up account available in a self-published book on lulu.com (where there is a preview) titled "Facta Non Verba and Brethren of the Coast" ISBN 978-1-4716-0726-4 The 'Brethren' part is Dermot's father's (Conrad Tyrrell Lewis, the sailing writer) autobiography The reason for doing it that way was that with an ISBN it stands a better chance of lasting availability for posterity, and it also respects the concern of some family members who would prefer it not to be available electronically. The lineage is Elizabeth Nathan > Charles Lewis > Edward Tyrrell Lewis > Conrad Tyrrell Lewis > Dermot Tyrrell-Lewis). Hopefully, in due course, we will be able to extend Dermot's account with what we are able to add now.
Robert

phillip
23-04-2012, 10:44 AM
The data that Robert is placing on the Ancestry website relating to the various Levy and other families is excellent and supported by reference to primary sources. I placed on posting 7 30.1.2012 under 'The Turnpike Levy- Family Trees' data which confirmed that Lewis, Nathaniel and Daniel Levy were brothers. Further research is needed to establish precisely who William Levy was. In addition, Kitty Moses wife of Henry Jacobs adopted Moses as her surname but her father was Moshe Cohen.Kitty is the mother of Rebecca Jacobs who married Lawrence Levy. I suspect, but have no proof, that the Henry Cohen/James Simmons relationship to my Hart and other lines maybe a lot closer beyond the marriage of David John Hart to Sarah Simmons.
Phillip

phillip
23-04-2012, 12:28 PM
The following data relates to records edited and transcribed by Doreen Berger in ' The Jewish Victorian: Genealogical Information from Jewish Newspapers 1871-80' Robert Boyd Publications,1999-these records refer to Morrice Levy one of the sons of William Levy and identify various relationships between the Levy families and others:
Morrice died at 69 Guildford Street Russell Square age 65- reference is made in the records to his daughter Leah Frances Levy; Max Liebmann son in law;William Levy-father; Lawrence Levy brother;Mrs Henry Harris sister; Frances Israel sister;Ralph Israel brother in law. Max Liebmann married Leah Frances Levy eldest daughter of Morrice Levy at 11 Oak Villas, Manningham Bradford. Maude Lilias daughter of Leah and Max died age 10 mths on 20.4.1879 at 8 Upper Woburn Place Tavistock Square and Max died 11.9.1879 at 9 Upper Woburn Place Tavistock Square age 49 late of Berlin House Huddersfield and Oak Villas Bradford. It appears that Max Liebmann had been married before because Berger cites the death of Eliza Liebmann 18.10.1874 at Vienna wife of Max Liebmann of 11 Oak Villas Manningham Bradford.
I will add further data as I research further into the lines.
Phillip

RDWard
24-04-2012, 10:32 AM
The people Phillip mentions can be found in my Ancestry tree. Although mainly connected to Jacobs (which I understand is the main focus here) through Edward Lawrence Levy, I find the William Levy/Elizabeth Nathan Tree absolutely fascinating. In every branch you come across often more than one person noteworthy for good reasons or bad. For example, straight from memory, Ernest Lewis founder of the Army and Navy Stores, his son Donald Swain Lewis WW1 pilot who developed the 'clock code' (e.g. "3 o'clock high"), Frank Van Neck inventor of the Van Neck press camera (pretty much standard equipment before the 1950s), by marriage Charles Pryse a well-known revolver manufacturer, Aletta Lewis the artist, Richard 'Dick' Lewis a founding father of Canadian broadcasting, and a whole load of sharp (and occasionally bent) legal practitioners who seemed to spend much of their time suing each other, including the Edward Lawrence Levy of this thread. The original documents from some of the case files are available in the National Archives at Kew. Some of the family marriages link to other notable families such as Brunel and Henry Lockwood the Saltaire architect. They could have a whole series of 'Who Do You Think You Are?' entirely to themselves.
Robert

RDWard
28-04-2012, 9:32 AM
Further to my recent posts, I can confirm that Edward Lawrence Levy's brothers, the second and third children of Lawrence Levy and Rebecca Jacobs, were indeed David Lawrence Levy (c1829-1893) and William Lawrence Levy who became William Levy Lawrence (c1830-1912), and that they both migrated to Sydney, Australia. David was a solicitor and William had businesses in wines and spirit and hotels. They both seem to have have inherited the family financial sharpness. David does not appear to have had children, but William appears to have had 7 with numerous grandchildren. As ever, the proof that William Levy Lawrence was a brother comes from legal cases where William Lawrence and David Levy are explicitly identified as brothers: (i) Shoveller and Lawrence (1864, debated in the NSW Parliament in 1865) in which Shoveller and Lawrence were imprisoned for 2 years for attempting to defraud Shoveller's creditors, but released after 1 year following a petition to the state Governor signed by many respected persons, organised by William Lawrence's brother, David Lawrence Levy - it was suggested in Parliament that they should not have been released early; and (ii) Federal Bank of Australia v Levy (1891) in which David left power of attorney with William whilst he visited England around 1890, and the bank later disputed the extent of these powers. After release from prison, William and his family spent a number of years in Brisbane before returning to Sydney. Apologies if this is not the correct thread for this posting (if not then where should it be?). It is not easy to trace the children of William Levy and Rebecca Jacobs; even harder with those of Edward Lawrence Levy and Charlotte Levy.
Robert

RDWard
02-05-2012, 9:18 PM
Children of Edward Lawrence Levy

This is a brief outline/summary of where I have managed to get to so far in looking for Edward’s 10 children. I would be very interested if anyone has anything more to add.

1. Amelia Levy, later Emelie Lewis (1851-) can be found in all censuses through to 1911 when she appears as “Emilie Lewis” (59) at 76 Fordwych Road, Brondesbury, with her brother Frederick David Lewis and two of her mother’s widowed sisters: Catherine Virginia Russell and Angelina Lindow, and also her cousin Ella Lindow. She seems to disappear after 1911.

2. William Levy, later William Lawrence (1853-1923) does not seem findable in the 1871 or 1891 censuses, but otherwise can be traced through censuses and electoral registers. Apart from questions over a not guilty verdict at the Old Bailey in 1880, he seems to have done quite well for himself, becoming a Chartered Accountant. He married Eliza Ann Ford in 1879 and they had one surviving son, Frederick Cyril Baldwin Lawrence (1883-1952). William died at 101 Norwood Road, Herne Hill, in 1923. Eliza died there in 1934. Son Frederick married Eleanor Maria Musgrove in 1919 and became a bank manager. They lived with Frederick’s parents, and remained at 101 Norwood Road into the 1950s (nice house - look on streetview). They had 2 daughters, Joan (1921) and Alexia (1926) and there are probably living descendants. It would be interesting to know whether they have any stories passed down through the family about the exploits of Edward Lawrence Levy, or whether it was deliberately never spoken about.

3. Daniel Lawrence Levy, later Daniel Lawrence Lewis (1854-) was, along with his brother Henry, sent to prison for one year in 1882 for their involvement in their father’s accident perjury scheme. They were also tried and acquitted of fraud in 1886. Their father’s 1892 Old Bailey case refers to two brothers who have gone to America, probably Daniel and Henry.

4. Henry Lawrence Levy, later Henry Lawrence Lewis (1856-) probably went to America with brother Daniel, above.

5. Constance Levy (1857-) seems to disappear after the 1861 census.

6. Augustus Lawrence Levy, later known as Augustus Lawrence, John Lewis and Augustus Lewis (1859-) got 5 years imprisonment in 1880 for stealing cheques. He is in Chatham prison in 1881. He then got 14 days hard labour in October 1885 (as Augustus Lewis) for forging a letter to try to obtain two theatre tickets. He seems untraceable after this.

7. Edward Levy, later Edward Lewis (1860-) is mentioned in his father’s 1892 Old Bailey case as a cabinet maker of 7 Newington Green Road. He is actually not at 7 but at number 74 in the 1891 census with his brother Albert. With the name of Edward Lewis he is difficult to trace further, but it looks like he could have married Rachel Isaacs (born either Russia or Germany) in 1899, and that they were at Hackney in 1901 and High Street Islington in 1911, married 12 years with no children.

8. Frederick David (Fitz) Levy, later Frederick David Lewis (1862-) is traceable through the censuses and electoral registers and is with Amelia at Fordwych Road in 1911. He became a solicitor’s managing clerk and was granted probate of his father’s effects in 1892 and his aunt Catherine Virginia Russell’s effects in 1915. It looks like he married Stella Lehmann, a widow, in 1915. Stella Lewis died in 1934, probate to husband. A Frederick D Lewis died aged 80 in 1941.

9. Albert Septimus? Levy, later Albert Lewis (1864-) is mentioned in the 1892 court case as having been to America with his brothers in 1888, but returned after 9 months. He is Albert Lewis with his brother Edward at 74 Newington Road in 1891. With the name of Albert Lewis he seems difficult to trace further.

10. Nathaniel Levy (1867-) is with the family in the 1871 and 1881 censuses but then seems to disappear.

phillip
03-05-2012, 7:20 AM
I will take a further look at the Lewis/Levy names Robert. One of the main problems regarding the research into our lines has been the use of various alias because of criminal backgrounds or else a deliberate attempt to put distance between individuals and family members mainly due to family disputes or criminality. I also suspect that descendants of these families have little or no idea of their roots ( as you know yourself) which makes it very difficult for them to contribute to any research.
Having said that the amount of data we now have on the various lines is not insignificant.
Phillip

RDWard
27-05-2012, 9:51 PM
This post is also relevant to the thread on Lawrence Isaac Nathan which examines Levy-Nathan-Jacobs-etc links. It is about Jacob Hyam Nathan (c1779 to 26th February 1856). Was he related to Edward Lawrence Levy, and if so how?
In the 1861 census, Edward Lawrence Levy had a visitor, a widow called Frances Nathan (72) born Poole, Dorset. I wondered what was her connection. Does she provide a clue to the links between the Levys and Nathans?
Earlier, the 1851 census shows her at 30 Gerrard Street as the wife of Jacob Nathan (a servant called Mary Chevill is also with Frances in 1851 and 1861). He was Jacob Hyam Nathan. The Morning Chronicle, 4th March 1856, reports Jacob Hyam Nathan's death on Feb 26th 1856, and confirms his address as 30 Gerrard Street, also late of Berwick Street Soho. The London Gazette 16th August 1831 records the dissolution of his partnership with an Isaac Nathan at 94 Berwick Street - fancy ball and theatrical dressers. Directories refer to a "masquerade warehouse".
Jewishgen suggests Frances was previously Frances Solomons, Jacob Hyam Nathan's third wife, whom he married on the 28th July 1847 (registered St Luke's district). It also suggests his father was called Hyam Nathan. Jewishgen can be suspect so treat with care, e.g. it has Jacob's death as 1854 but it was 1856.
I downloaded his will from National Archives. On quick perusal it does not seem to provide any further clues about his parents or siblings but I need to look much more carefully through its 12 pages of spidery writing.
Does anyone have further information about Jacob Hyam Nathan? In particular, was he related to Edward Lawrence Levy's grandmother, Elizabeth Nathan?
Robert Ward

phillip
28-05-2012, 2:38 PM
Robert
Doreen Berger 'The Jewish Victorian . Genealogical Information. The Jewish Newspapers-1861-1870' 2004 Robert Boyd Pub has on P288 main entry- Jacob Hyam Nathan- wife Fanny;Messrs Nathan sons;Edward Nathan son;Rosetta Moss daughter;Lawrence Moss son in law; Maria Moss grandaughter. Fanny's death is recorded on P287-Death 28.1.1865 at 29 Soho Square wife of the late Jacob Hyam Nathan in her 80th year. In 1862 Edward Nathan is at 33 Gloucester Place New Road.
I will look further.
Phillip

phillip
28-05-2012, 3:51 PM
Robert
Doreen Berger 'The Jewish Victorian.Genealogical Information. The Jewish Newspapers 1861-70'2004 Robert Boyd Pub- P280 Death of Rosetta Moss nee Nathan 3.5.1862 Montreal, Canada - wife of Lawrence Moss and daughter of late Jacob Hyam Nathan age 46. The Moss references in Berger include: David Moss- Montreal and Harley St; Hyam Moss his son;Clara Moss daughter in law;Amy Maria Moses daughter;Charles Montagu Moses son in law;Samuel Moss son in law;Edward Moss;Laurence Moss brother;Rosetta Moss sister in law. David Moss died 7.9.1872 at 12 Royal Crescent Ramsgate age 58. Edward Moss died 8.12.1876 -19 Inverness Terrace Bayswater age 61 late of Montreal, Canada- his wife Sophia Moss; Julia Rose Joseph daughter in law; John E Moss son;;Alice Joseph daughter in law;Samuel Moss son;Ada Moss daughter;Montague Davis son in law;Katie Moss daughter;Konrad Lederer son in law;David Moss brother.
Phillip

phillip
28-05-2012, 5:40 PM
Robert
See Cemetery Scribes Person ID 11278 Jacob Hyam Nathan-there are 2 marriages: 1 Charlotte Bennett 1790-1846; married in Gt Synagogue 1839 and 2nd marriage to Frances Solomon in 1847. There is a private circulation book 'The Descendants of Hyam Nathan of London' Lawrence D Nathan 1977, Auckland NZ

Phillip

phillip
28-05-2012, 5:46 PM
Robert
See Synagogue Scribes Wills- NA 748 Jacob Hyam Nathan for bequests;names of children etc. Note also reference to a possible 3 marriages because two sons Lewis and Henry take on Jacobs as family name. Would be worth checking Synagogue Scribes bmd records for cross reference to the 2 named wives plus possible first wife.
Phillip

phillip
28-05-2012, 5:53 PM
Robert
Synagogue Scribes have records for 3 marriages for Jacob Hyam Nathan. The first is 25 June 1800 to Polly Isaacs- would need to check that this is the correct Jacob Hyam Nathan.
Phillip

phillip
28-05-2012, 9:14 PM
Robert
Take a look on Synagogue Scribes Wills- NA925 Hyam/Hiam Nathan. The various family trees I have looked at plus other sites data suggests that this Hyam is the father of Jacob Hyam Nathan. You will see various bequests on the will data. In the will summary Hyam died 6 July 1824 7 Little Prescott St - clothes dealer.
Phillip

RDWard
29-05-2012, 8:36 AM
Phillip

Thanks. I've looked further at Jacob Hyam Nathan's will, summarised below (may contain errors as it is not easy to read). Unfortunately it does not seem to take to us any nearer to understanding why his widow Frances Nathan was with Edward Lawrence Levy in the 1861 census and therefore throws no further light on the relationships between Nathans and Levys.

However , in addition to his wife Frances Nathan he refers to his "six children": i) Edward Nathan, his daughters Catherine and Elizabeth and his son Lewis; ii) Isaac Nathan, his wife Anne, his daughters Frances, Rosetta and Miriam and his sons Lewis Isaac and Hyam Isaac; iii) Lewis Nathan, his wife Eliza, his daughters Rosetta and Rose and his son Alfred Lewis Nathan; iv) Rosetta Moss, wife of Lawrence Moss of Montreal? (well that's what it looks like, in several places) and her daughter Clara; v) Sarah Moss, wife of David Moss of Montreal? and her daughter Clara; he also mentions grandsons Hyam Moss and Jacob Lawrence Moss but does not identify which daughter is their mother(s); vi) Henry Nathan, his wife Jane, his daughter Miriam and his son Herbert? Henry. He also names: servant Mary Ann Chevill; executors Edward Moses, Henry Moses; Samuel Moses and Edward Nathan; nephews? Hyam Samuel Moses and Lewis Nathan and sister Ausie/Annie/Susie??? (I wish I could read it - he permits her to live in his property at 19 Houndsditch) The will is long and detailed and mentions significant numbers of properties and numerous effects.

Incidentally, the servant Mary Ann Chevell/Chevill remains afterwards in the censuses with Edward Lawrence Levy through 1871, 1881 and 1891, and appears to have died aged aged 72 (Islington June1893Q). She must have been very much a member of the household.

Robert

RDWard
29-05-2012, 8:55 AM
Phillip
I've just looked at Synagogue Scribes which I wasn't aware until now. Thanks for mentioning it. It really shows the worth of participating in these kinds of forums.
Robert

phillip
29-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Robert
If I remember, the Jacobs were living around Berwick St. In addition, my Benjamin Hart line married into the Henry Moses line ( need to check who the Moses are in the Jacob bequests). My Benjamin Hart line barring one son were all clothiers/costumiers/military tailors.
Can you please supply the addresses of properties referred to in Jacob's will.
We need to discover more about Fanny/Francis Nathan nee Solomon.
Phillip

phillip
29-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Robert
There are various family trees for the Hyam Nathan descendants which may be worth exploring- I note marriages between Nathan/Moses/Phillips and many others. Was Frances Nathan nee Solomon a widow or spinster when she married Jacob in 1839- suspect she was a widow given she was born abt 1793. If she was a widow what was her maiden name- is she a Levy?
Phillip

phillip
29-05-2012, 2:19 PM
Robert
I may have more clues to who Frances/Fanny Solomons was:
Take a look at the 1841 Census HO107 1085 7 28 6 ( Crown Copyright, TNA)-30 Surrey Place
You will see Daniel Levy glass cutter and his wife Amelia ( Amelia Jacobs) with family including Henry Jacobs 65 ( father of Amelia and my 4x great grandfather- one of the sons of David Jacobs ( Letson/Litzen) and also in the same household FANNY SOLOMONS 50 FS and Ann Moses 15. The individuals are all given as born in county and ages but I suspect this is Fanny who married Jacob Hyam Nathan Sept qtr 1847 St Luke 2 305.
What is she doing in the household and who is she- a Levy/Jacobs/Moses? Who is Ann Moses?
More to investigate
Phillip

phillip
29-05-2012, 6:39 PM
Robert
I have just seen a family tree on WorldConnect which has Jacob Hyam Nathan marrying Charlotte Bennett ( which we know about) maiden name Moses ( parents Samuel Eliezer Moses and Rachel Abrahams). If this data is accurate then Charlotte was married twice. The family tree includes the children of Samuel and Rachel and their marriages; Moses Moses 1768-1845 m Elizabeth Levy dau of Barnett Levy and Bluma Phillips; Jacob Moses 1782-1845 m 1 Clara Jonas 2 Elizabeth Levy ( no data to confirm who she is);Dinah Moses m Nathaniel Nathan;Abraham Moses m Catherine Levy dau of Solomon Levy;David Moses 1787-1860 m Abigail Solomons 1789-1862; Henry Moses 1791-1875 m Esther Nathan 1796-1877; Polly Moses - no data; Charlotte Moses m 1 .. ? Bennett 2 Jacob Hyam Nathan

Nb None of this data has been cross checked and verified as yet.
Phillip

phillip
29-05-2012, 7:39 PM
Robert
If you look on Synagogue Scribes Marriage records you can cross check the previous data referred to. In the case of Moses Moses marriage to Elizabeth Levy 7 May 1845 his father is Aharon and her father Issacher Behr HaLevi Priv Member. I don't think this is the correct Moses who has siblings referred to in the family tree because all the others father's Hebrew name is Eliezer. The record which is of specific interest is that of Jacob Moses GSM 344/58 who married ( I can see no reference to a first marriage) Clara Jonas. There is however a marriage to Elizabeth Abrahams widow 11 August 1839 and her father's Hebrew name is Yehuda Leib HaLevi which is a name linked to Daniel Levy and his brothers as their father. This of course pre-supposes that it is the same Yehuda. In the case also of Charlotte Bennett GSM339/23 and her marriage to Jacob Hyam Nathan 13 Jan 1839 her father's Hebrew name is Eliezer- as I suggested before she is likely to be Charlotte Moses and married previously. There is a marriage between a Charlotte Moses HSM 014 31 May 1809 but this is to a Michael Millingen.
There is also the marriage GSM 076/33 between a Polly Moses 21 Feb 1803 -father's Hebrew name Lezer of Portsmouth to Henry Solomons -father's Hebrew name Anshel Levi Pampel

So, in summary there appear to be Levy links between the Moses/Solomons/Nathan which require further research and confirmation particularly the Solomons and Elizabeth Abrahams nee Levi
Phillip

phillip
31-05-2012, 6:15 AM
I have been tracing a wide range of relationships through marriage between the Abrahams of Sheerness and the Russell ( changed their name from Levy) also of Sheerness and families including the Nathan;Michael; Crawcour; Jacobs. It is becoming clear that all of these families are related some closely and others more distantly through marriage. For example, the Russell/Levy of Sheerness married into the Crawcour line. The Michael/Russell line married into each other and also into the Nathan line through Catherine Michael daughter of Jonas Michael and his wife Rebecca Russell. Catherine born in Sheerness married Henry Nathan ( I will supply data on these lines where appropriate). There appear to be links also between the Jacobs glass dealers/manufacturers and the Russell line yet to be explored in detail.Similarly, the Crawcour and Abrahams appear to have relationships probably through the Russell/Levy line.
Numbers of these lines emigrated to Australia and NZ which also complicates the data collation.
Cross checks with the Probate data on Synagogue Scribes; Ancestry Com and other sources indicates the complexity of the relationships with first cousins marrying each other and in one case a niece marrying her uncle. There are also divorcees; widows and widowers marrying each other and some families such as the Levy changing their name ( not all of them) to Russell.
Robert- it is becoming clear from my comments that we will have to dig deeper and 'flesh out' the complex data on the Levy/Nathan/Jacobs/Crawcour/Russell to determine who is who.
Phillip

RDWard
06-06-2012, 4:40 PM
Phillip
In response to your last comment, it is very satisfying when yet another little bit of the complexity falls into place. Please humour me for telling this as a story. I have recently been looking into Edward Lawrence Levy's aunt Hannah Levy who married Henry Harris. They are findable from their 121 Westbourne Grove address in Berger (although they still evade me in the earlier censuses). Then, from Henry Harris's 1898 will, one of their sons seems to have been Henry Myer Harris (I await the will for definite confirmation he was their son). The name Myer then re-occurs from which I suspect Henry Harris is the person on Synagogue Scribes born 8th March, 1816 to Abraham Harris b. Meir, and Hannah b. Yehuda Leib (suggesting yet another Levy link). But many of Henry Harris's descendants, with such a common surname, just disappear like needles into the genealogical haystack.
Except I had a lucky break. One of Henry Myer Harris's sons was Alfred Harris who divorced his first wife Constance Clyde Druiff. With the middle name of Clyde she is easily found as Constance Clyde Jay who died in 1963, with administration granted to Myer Alan Barry King-Hamilton "one of H.M.Counsel". At first I thought he must just be a solicitor, but after some time I realised he was actually the acclaimed Judge Alan King-Hamilton, famous for his eccentricities, who died last year aged 105. His biography is easily found, and you can listen to him on Desert Island Discs in 1983. Why the name Myer? Is he a relative? Questions that niggled for a while. It transpires that his father, Alfred Harris, changed his name by deed poll in 1916 to Alfred King-Hamilton - see the London Gazette and his 1923 freedom of London papers on Ancestry (I've just ordered a cheap copy of judge Alan's autobiography to see if it tells us why). None of the obituaries or other recent sources I have found seem to be aware that Judge Alan King-Hamilton was actually born Myer Sidney Alan Barry Harris in 1904. He appears in the 1911 census as Alan Harris aged 6 at 79 Priory Road, West Hampstead. So this is yet another notable legal member of the family (who presumably did not know their less-than-illustrious origins). But with name changes such as Harris to King-Hamilton, I doubt we are ever going to suss out this family entirely.
Robert

phillip
06-06-2012, 9:26 PM
Robert
I enjoyed the latest description and it reinforces what we have already discovered regarding the various name changes. I see that the Cambridge University Calender 1930 listed Myer Alan Barry King- Hamilton in 1927. Great sounding names and I wonder why those chose them specifically. I am researching the Abrahams/Russell ( Levy) of Sheerness with links to my Crawcour lines and will post under a new heading when I work out who is who ( again name changes!)
Phillip

phillip
07-06-2012, 6:56 PM
Robert
I have been looking on the JewishGen London Trade Directories for Abraham and Henry Harris.There are numbers of entries for both names but I have yet to establish which, if any, belong to the Harris we are researching. In addition, Synagogue Scribes Will extracts suggest that there are several Harris who are probably related. For example, NA 1357 Harris/Breslau Bathsheba who died 14 Jan 1808 at Goulston Square widow with husband's name Adam includes reference to her children: Abraham ( wife Hannah) and Amelia wife of Henry Jacobs and grandchildren- Amelia Harris daughter of Abraham. Witnesses included Henry Harris of Goulston Square. A cross check with the London Trade Records indicates Abraham Harris 30 Goulston Square 1830 feather manufacturer; Henry Harris same address in 1831 and at 29 Goulston Square wholesale stationer 1817 and in 1802 Abraham Harris is a tobacconist at 30 Goulston Square. There is also Esther Harris nee Levy 63 Gt Prescott St.
Any idea which Abraham and Henry Harris we are looking for?
Phillip

RDWard
08-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Starting from the address in Berger which identifies Mrs Henry Harris as the sister of Lawrence and Morris Levy, we find them there in the 1871 census, i.e. at 121 Westbourne Grove (nb the Acton-born Adolphus Harris in a different household at the same address is not a son as his father was named as Alfred when he married in 1877). In 1871 Henry Harris (55, born London) is living on income from house property, with Hannah (50) and unmarried daughter Harriet (30, born Paddington). They are then easily traceable forwards: 5 Hereford Road in 1881 and 9 Talbot Road in 1891 (except Harriet becomes Hannah in 1891), a likely death of Hannah in 1894 and Henry's death and will in 1898, probate to Henry Myer Harris. However, as yet they do not seem traceable backwards. I am waiting for a copy of Henry's will which should name more relatives and possibly give clues as to what his occupation was originally.
My father-in-law in "Facta Non Verba", only knowing Hannah's married name was Harris, wrongly assumed Hannah's husband to be David Harris who was a sheriff's officer with the Levys. Although he is in directories, David Harris seems absent from the censuses too. I just wonder whether 'Harris' was also a name change.
Robert

phillip
08-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Robert
Synagogue Scribes has NA 155 Abraham Harris 30 Gouldston Square Probate 3 April 1830. His children include Henry,Ralph, Bartholomew, Abraham Ellis;Ann Benjamin; Amelia Nathan. I have no confirmation that this line relates to Mrs Henry Harris relatives but I do note a Nathan connection plus it appears a surname change for Abraham's son to Ellis.
I have got the Berger two volumes so can cross check against the various records.
Phillip

phillip
17-06-2012, 8:17 PM
Robert
Bear with me while I research further the Jacob Hyam Nathan line. I have found the relationship between the Moses/Nathan through marriage and the marriage of Nathan Lion Nathan to Sarah Nathan and Sarah's sister Esther's marriage to Henry Moses. The Nathan lines descends from Hiam/Hyam Nathan who was from Holland and a toll collector in Hull before moving to London.I think Jacob Hyam Nathan was a brother of Nathan Lion. Hyam Nathan was married to Fanny Jacobs ( I would need to check this out and discover which Jacobs- you note the Fanny Nathan name). There appear to be further links through marriage to the Henry Cohen line in Australia which both the Levy and my own Hart line married into.

There is a lot to unpick.
Phillip

phillip
17-06-2012, 9:17 PM
Robert
A Family tree of Chaim (Hyam) Nathan 1743-1824 has his wife Fanny dying abt 1812. The children of Hyam and Fanny include Jacob Hyam 1774-1854 ( who on the family tree was married twice); Amelia 1781-1857 m Jacob Joseph 1819-1903; Sarah 1787-1837 m Nathan Lion Nathan ( their children appear on Cemetery Scribes records); Esther 1795-1877 m Henry Moses.
So, there is still no indication as to the ancestors of Fanny Nathan who appears in the census data.
What are your thoughts on the lines and potential connections to Levy? Synagogue Scribes has the marriages of Sarah and Esther Nathan -see GSM112/01 -Sarah Nathan 1807; GSM 147/17 -1813 Esther Nathan
Phillip

RDWard
03-07-2012, 5:10 PM
As mentioned in earlier post, here at long last is a summary of the will of Edward Lawrence Levy's uncle, Henry Harris (c1815-1898), husband of his aunt Hannah Levy c1819-1894? This has been useful in confirming his children were Henry Myer Harris (c1839-1908) and Harriet (otherwise Hannah) Harris (c1841-c1898). We would not have known about Henry Myer Harris because only Harriet/Hannah appears with Henry and Hannah Harris in the census, one problem being that they do not seem to be in any census prior to 1871 (would be grateful if anyone manages to find them). It also mentions some, but not all, of Henry Myer Harris's children.

The last will and testament of HENRY HARRIS of 9 Talbot Road, Westbourne Park. Died 15th September 1898 at 9 Talbot Road, Westbourne Park. Will made 3rd November 1897 in presence of J Hardy Poskitt solicitors clerk and Mary Jane Clark (of 9 Talbot Road) servant. Probate 30th March 1899 to Henry Myer Harris (named in the will as Myer Harris) of 5 The Mansions, Richmond Road, Earls Court, gentleman, the surviving executor [The other executor, Harriet/Hannah Harris must have died between 3/11/1897 when the will was made and the probate date of 30/3/1899 - possible reg. Paddington 1898q3 Harriet Harris 60 but age not quite right] Value: gross £5231 6s; net £5211 6s

Household effects to daughter HARRIET (OTHERWISE HANNAH) HARRIS
Trustees: son MYER HARRIS and daughter HARRIET HARRIS
ANNIE HARRIS wife of MYER HARRIS and each of his living children £100
ANNIE HARRIS wife of grandson HENRY HARRIS £100
present or future wife of grandson ALFRED HARRIS £100
present or future husband of granddaughter now LOTTIE ELKAN £100 [aka Carlotta/Charlotta/Charlotte]
present or future husband of granddaughter now ANNETTE WHITE £100
residue to son MYER HARRIS and daughter HARRIET HARRIS in equal shares
income from leasehold houses to daughter HARRIET HARRIS and afterwards to son MYER HARRIS and then to his children in equal shares - properties: 9 Talbot Road Westbourne Park; 3 Delamere Street Paddington; 145 Walworth Road.

Robert

phillip
04-07-2012, 6:59 PM
Robert
As a brief re-cap on the Levy/Levy/Harris lines can I please confirm with you the following:
1 In the Queen's Bench trial Lee v Huntly 1881 reported in the Aberdeen Weekly Journal Sat July 23 1881 there is reference to a Mr Edward Lee solicitor Gresham Buildings Basinghall St London who was the plaintiff and his father in law Myer Harris- is Edward Lee an alias for Edward Lawrence Levy ( apologies if we discussed this in earlier posts)
2 In the Queen's Bench Division trial -Harris v Philips - The Morning Post Thurs July 13 1882 the plaintiff is Mr Henry Myer Harris a carriage manufacturer and furniture dealer in Sloane St- is he the same person referred to in the previous post?
3 Is Solomon Myer Harris dealer in works of art, Pilgrim St and residing at his lodgings Westmoreland Terrace Newcastle upon Tyne- The Huddersfield Chronicle and West Yorkshire Advertiser Sat 15 March 1879- bankrupt one of the individuals referred to in the previous post?
4 Did Myer Harris co own the Agar Club Strand? There is a newspaper article dated April 23 1891 which relates to Ernest Henry Hart and his wife Gertrude ( Ernest is my great grandfather and son of Henry and Amelia Hart- Henry is the son of John Hart and Elizabeth Jacobs). I have no idea who Gertrude was since Ernest was married to Adelaide Yzerman however reference is made in the article to Myer Harris club owner
5 I have seen reference to a Tudor Harris and Myer Harris in another trial- do you know who Tudor Harris was and is he related to the Myer Harris in the previous post?
I would welcome your response.
Phillip

RDWard
05-07-2012, 5:47 PM
Phillip

Re 1) Lee and Myer Harris: I don’t think Lee is Edward Lawrence Levy because ELL married Charlotte Levy so his father in law would also be Levy. Furthermore ELL was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment on 26 May 1879, and the bill was handed to Lee on 25 Nov 1880, so if Lee was ELL this would at best be very soon after he came out which does not seem right. Also I doubt this Myer Harris is descended from the Henry Harris who married ELL’s aunt Hannah Levy, He does not seem to fit anyone. There are several alternative Myer Harrises in the BMDs.

Re 2) Yes this is Henry Myer Harris cousin of ELL (i.e. son of Hannah Levy and Henry Harris). See 1881 census when he is a 39 year old coach builder at 30 Sloane Street.

Re 3, 4 and 5? I don’t recognise any of these as family members.
Robert

phillip
05-07-2012, 7:35 PM
Thank you Robert. The Lee/Harris connection appears in Doreen Berger 'The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical Information from the Jewish Newspapers 1871-1880' Robert Boyd Publisher, 1999- P207-this Myer Harris had a son in law Edward Lee with connections to A Braham father of Mrs Myer Harris. Myer Harris father was Nathan Harris who died age 77 in 1872. Edward Lee was an articled clerk to Mr C Vallency Lewis. Edward's father was Barnett Lee.
Phillip

phillip
07-07-2012, 9:38 AM
The following post fills in some data on Carlotta Harris also known as Lottie youngest daughter of Henry Myer Harris. The Jewish Chronicle 28.12.1894 records the marriage on 19 Dec at the Synagogue St Petersburg Place, Lottie youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs H M Harris of 68 Gower St WC to D L Elkan second son of Mr and Mrs Charles Elkna of 96 Brondesbury Villas Kilburn. Free BMD has the birth of Carlotta Maria Harris March qtr 1875 Bethnal Green 1c 221; Her Marriage Dec qtr 1894 Paddington 1a 156.
The Probate records show- Carlotta Lipman otherwise Lottie of Clarendon Court Maida Vale London widow died 25 July 1944 at 44 Belsize Grove Hampstead - Probate to Myer Alan Barry King-Hamilton squadron leader; David Philip Woolf Co-Director -Effects £5307 9s 9d
Death of Carlotta Lipman Sept Qtr 1944 age 69 Hampstead 1a 438
Carlotta was married twice. On the death of her first husband she re- married to Morris Lipman in 1934. He died in 1941- The Andrews Newspaper Index Cards 1790-1976 records his death- Morris Lipman of Cape Town died Oct 11 1941 at London Clinic - husband 0f Lottie Lipman Cumberland Hotel W 1. Funeral East Ham Cemetery Weds Oct 15 12 noon. There is also the record of his probate granted by the Supreme Court of South Africa 14 Nov 1941 but no details are given.
Phillip

RDWard
08-07-2012, 9:05 AM
Thanks Phillip
Also of interest re Carlotta is The Times of Friday March 10th 1922 "A Woman's Action Against A Doctor, Elkan v Montgomery-Smith". In brief Carlotta fractured an ankle by falling from a kerb in March 1920, and argued that because of inappropriate treatment she now had a permanent injury. It was said she should have had an X-ray but that she and her husband refused because they did not want unnecessary expense. The Court found that she had failed to prove negligence, and awarded costs against her. It is surprising what we can now find on some people. I've asked before what kind of digital footprint we'll all have in the future: primary school reports, medical records, work personnel files, store card purchases, CCTV footage? I shudder to think.
Robert

phillip
08-07-2012, 11:12 AM
I am still looking for records Robert. As a summary, I looked for Henry in the Anglo Jewish 1851 Census data base but couldn't locate any near 'hits'- I looked at all Harris records. Then I researched the JewishGen London Trade Directory Records for Henry Harris- there are several names with addresses and range from quill pen manufacturer 21 Gt Alie St 1834;Clothes salesman 5 Holywell St 1846;Merchant 27 Mansell St 1861;Merchants 41-42 Mansell St 1861 - this is Henry and Samuel Harris -harness polish manufacturers in 1846; sponge merchant 1830 3 Castle St Houndsditch;stationer 21 Great Alie St 1830 and at same address cigar manufacturer in 1846
Myer Harris clothes salesman 7 Rosemary Lane 1819-1825

Looking for Henry Harris pre 1871 census and not finding him with his family suggests a range of possibilities- poor transcription of name on census records; not in the UK; using a different name- I wonder if this is most likely because there is Henry snr and son Henry -not uncommon in Ashkenazi naming system but not always usual. You and I have access to the same range of records so maybe worth another look.
By the way, I am not sure I have the right Carlotta born 1875 because I have seen a Carlotta Maria on other family trees and she doesn't link to Henry.
Phillip

phillip
08-07-2012, 5:18 PM
Robert
I may have found Henry Harris and family in the 1861 Census- see 5 and 9 Calthorp St St Pancras RG9 107 87 1 ( Crown Copyright,TNA)
Harry Harris H M 45 Merchant-Colonial b London
Hannah Harris wife 44 b London
Harriett dau U 22 b London
Mayer Harris son U 21 b London
1 servant

The ages are about right for all of them. See what you think.
Phillip

RDWard
09-07-2012, 3:31 PM
Phillip
I feel certain that is them at 5 Calthorpe Street. Also, in response to the preceding post, I am confident we have the right Carlotta for 2 reasons (i) the 1922 court case names Charlotte Elkan's solicitor as King-Hamilton which would be her brother Alfred Harris (name change 1916), and (ii) probate for Carlotta Lipman was granted to MAB King-Hamilton (Alfred's son) and David Philip Woolf (Alfred's step-son).
One doubt that emerges (which may be unfounded) is whether Hannah Levy was actually the mother of Harriet Harris and Henry Myer Harris, or whether she could have been Henry/Harry Harris's second wife. So far, the earliest we find them is now the 1861
census when the children are in their early twenties.
Also, I eventually received a copy of Myer Alan Barry King-Hamilton's autobiography, "And Nothing but the Truth". Although it has little of genealogical interest beyond what can be found in his obituaries, it is an enjoyable read (it does not even mention he was born Harris although he would have been about 12 when his father changed the family name).
Robert

RDWard
09-07-2012, 3:53 PM
Now found them in 1841, so Hannah Levy almost certainly was the mother:
Edgeware Road
Class: HO107; Piece: 677; Book: 2; Civil Parish: St Marylebone; County: Middlesex; Enumeration District: 2a; Folio: 25; Page: 42;
Ancestry transcription: Henry Harris 25 Taylor; Hannh Harris 24; Harriott Harris 5; Mare Harris 3; 1 servant Sarah Collins 20.

phillip
10-07-2012, 8:12 AM
Robert
What are your thoughts on Henry/Harry's change of occupations from tailor to house owner to carriage manufacturer. What do you know about his father? Also, what dob and GRO Index record do you assign to Carlotta? Berger in her 1871-80 vol cites a birth of a daughter to a Mrs H M Harris 9 High St Aldgate 14.12.1874 and the death of her father in 1875 but no specific details as to who Mrs Harris is. Is she Hannah?
Phillip

phillip
10-07-2012, 9:10 AM
Sorry Robert,
I mixed up Mrs H M Harris with Hannah.
Phillip

phillip
10-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Robert
It appears that Henry was bankrupt in 1840- see The London Gazette Archives- there are 2 entries for him at 126 Edgeware Road both in 1840:
24 Feb 1840 P45-Henry Harris late of 126 Edgeware Road Middx tailor and slop seller. In the Debtor's Prison for London and Middlesex. The 17 March 1840 P29 entry has the same address and adds that he was also a dealer in cigars. Wonder if he changed his name during 1840s-1850s until he was solvent. Where did he get the houses from by the later census and also the money to become a carriage manufacturer. Is his father Myer Harris slop seller of Rosemary Lane?
Phillip

phillip
10-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Robert
See JewishGen London Trade Directories Records up to 1839- Henry Harris 126 Edgware Road-tailor and clothes salesman Pigot 1836.
This confirms his original trade pre 1841 census.
Phillip

RDWard
10-07-2012, 4:44 PM
Re Henry Harris:
Yes, also 1841 London Post Office Directory (Part 1 pages 81, 420, 730 and 832) lists Henry Harris, clothier and hatter at 126 Edgeware Road, Marylebone.
Then in the Chancery case of Lewis v Lewis 1866 (this relates to Hannah Levy's brother Edward Lewis who died in 1866, and an action taken by his creditors, mainly his relatives, against his widow and son to recover considerable debts - Edward had been lending money on bills, funded by borrowings from associates and family, I have the case depositions from National Archives), Henry Harris (he confirms Edward was his brother in law) gives his address as 164 Queens Road Bayswater, and states that he had been in business as a clothier at Hatton Garden for some 24 or 25 years. The 1852 London Post Office Directory (small edition, page 778) lists Henry Harris, tailor and clothier of 1 Back Hill, Hatton Garden and 84 Weston Street, Somers Town. So the probable reason we can't find them in 1851 is that 1 Back Hill, Leather Lane, Hatton Garden is on HO107/1515/folio81 of which over half is completely black and illegible in the ancestry scan.
Re other posts: Henry (Myer) Harris (c1815-1898) tailor, hatter and house owner was the husband of Hannah Levy, and Henry Myer Harris (c1839-1908), woollen draper in 1871, coach builder in 1881, tailor in 1891, was his son and the father of Carlotta and the grandfather of Judge Alan King-Hamilton.
Carlotta, daughter of Henry Myer Harris, was indeed born 14.12.1874, some of the censuses state at Aldgate. Ancestry has a school admission record for Carlotta (Lottie Harris) with that DoB when she attended St Pauls School Westminster for a brief period - the only Jewish girl in the class, not baptised and exempt from religious knowledge.
Re the money to buy houses - Hannah Levy would have inherited a considerable sum from her mother in 1859, and surely Levy money would have funded their business in the first place.
Robert

RDWard
10-07-2012, 5:05 PM
Philip
The other question you raised is about the death of the father of Mrs H M Harris of 9 Aldgate in 1875.
This Mrs H M Harris is the wife of Henry Myer Harris (c1839 - 9 September 1908), i.e. Annie Woolf (c1843 - 20 November 1909), married 1864q1 City of London. Hannah Levy was Henry Myer Harris's mother.
Robert

phillip
10-07-2012, 7:23 PM
Robert
Do you know who the parents are of Henry ( Myer) Harris c 1815-1898? Have you located the synagogue marriage record of Henry? Did he have any siblings?
Phillip

RDWard
10-07-2012, 9:09 PM
Phillip
Sorry, no, because I'm approaching this from the Levy direction, I haven't delved further into Henry Harris. I also haven't found a Henry-Hannah marriage, but it must have been in the late 1830s. However, I have a note that Synagogue Scribes references a Henry Harris born on the 8th March, 1816, at Rosemary Lane, St. Mary, Whitechapel, the first of 7 children of Abraham Harris b Meir, and Hannah b Yehuda Leib (c1797-21st October 1832, suggestive of another Levy). That is pretty much around the right time and the b. Meir supports the use of the middle name Myer, but that's speculation. My late father-in-law also noted that in 1862 there was a David Harris in partnership in the firm Morrice Levy & Co. (another of Hannah's brothers, and David Harris could be related to Henry), Sheriff’s Officers at 71 Chancery Lane, and that the company then moved to 62 Chancery Lane and in 1875 the partnership comprised Morrice Levy, Morrice Levy junior, David Harris and John Tricker.
Robert

phillip
11-07-2012, 6:15 AM
Robert
I note on Synagogue Scribes Will Records the entry for Abraham Harris- Probate 1830 - 30 Goulston Square Whitechapel; His children were:Henry,Ralph;Bartholomew; Abraham Ellis; Ann Benjamin and Amelia Nathan. No idea if he is the father of Henry but I saw the Nathan marriage. As you know my interest in these families evolves my Jacobs line but I am particularly interested in discovering whether or not the Levy lines may also reveal whether or not Rebecca wife of Samuel Crawcour was also a Levy. In the past, these long shots of looking more widely at the various relationships through marriage have paid off. We shall see what happens as the research progresses.
Phillip

phillip
11-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Robert
I have just re- visited your family tree data on Ancestry and should have done so earlier. You have Joel Myers b abt 1836-1899. If you look at the 1841 Census you will see him with his father Wolf and mother Hannah with a Levy governess and also a Joseph Cashmore in the house. The Cashmore and Crawcour have close relationships which I will explain in more detail if you are interested. In addition, if you look on Synagogue Scribes Will records you will see Probate for Wolf Myers NA 1092 which includes reference to his cousin Lawrence Levy slop seller Bury St. Wolf's father was Joel Myers of Maldon -see Probate NA 373.
I hold several family trees on the Joel Myers of Maldon lines and my 4x great grandmother Phoebe Hart nee MYERS moved into the house of Lawrence and Mitchell Myers sons of Joel in abt 1848 following the death of Mitchell at 156 Houndsditch. Her sons Aaron and John Hart (Aaton married Anne Rebecca Crawcour- my 3x great grandparents). I have yet to establish any relationship between Phoebe Myers and Joel but suspect there is one given the other family links to Cashmore/Crawcour.
On the David Jacobs/Litzen line- his son Henry Jacobs married Kitty Moses daughter of Moshe Cohen- Moshe is my 5x great grandfather- you have some of the data on your tree on this line but not all of it.
Phillip

phillip
12-07-2012, 5:48 AM
Robert
Small update- Arthur Crawcour married Sheba Harris b 1872 daughter of Abraham Harris; Joseph Cashmore married Alice Nathan 1796-1873- her father Michael Nathan. Isaac Crawcour married Esther Cashmore daughter of Joseph and Alice.
There are other Harris and Nathan links.
Phillip

phillip
13-07-2012, 5:30 AM
Robert
Another note on Harris/Crawcour link- Harriet Crawcour married first name unknown ..Harris. Their daughter was Semira Harris b 1834. This Harris died between 1834-1837. No idea if this Harris is related to the other Harris lines and I have no other data on which Harris he was. The Abraham Harris father of Sheba was from Poland and changed his original surname. He was a much later arrival to the UK. Again I have no knowledge as to whether or not he relates to the other Harris lines.
Phillip

phillip
14-07-2012, 1:55 PM
Robert
You may know this already but I have been looking at the addresses of the Levy/Levi/Lewis and noted 2 records which maybe of interest if you have not seen them. The first, is an illustration in the British Museum of the house of John Dryden Fetter Lane . Vestiges of Old London dated 1851. On the right to the house of Dryden is that of Levi with the boarding " Levi Officer to the ... of London Middx". I take this to be the house of William Levy and Lawrence his son.

The second record is that of the Old Bailey 11 May 1863 where Edward Lewis is the defendant. His brother was called as a witness and named as Louis Levete... " I am the defendant's brother". Louis in the trial referred to the family having .." some very rich relations". Edward was named as part proprietor with his sister in the loan office following the death of their father and had a loan business at 16 Fetter Lane since at least 1852. Other later addresses for the loan office were cited. Bearing in mind data from the earlier postings on Edward Lawrence Levy do I take it that he is using the alias Edward Lewis. He got 12 months imprisonment. What do you know about Louis LEVETE?
Apologies if all of this is known to you.
Phillip

phillip
14-07-2012, 2:52 PM
Robert
I can't find Louis Levete/Levite pre 1881 but he appears in 1881 Census RG11 526 56 2 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) at 60 Blackman St St George the Martyrs:
Louis Levite H M 52 Solicitor's General Clerk b Borough Road Southwark
Elizabeth Levite wife 46
Louis Emanuel son U 22 b Newington Surrey Engineer
Edward Joseph son U 21 Solicitor's Clerk
1 servant

Death Louis Levite estimated b year 1824 Oct qtr 1887 age 63 Chelsea London 1a 258
National Probate Records:
Louis Levite 9 Trinity St Southwark Surrey Gentleman died 24 Nov 1887 at the Cancer Hospital Brompton: Effects to Annette Myddleton of 9 Trinity St Southwark widow and niece and sole executrix

Probate for Elizabeth Levite wife of Louis Levite late of 9 Trinity St Southwark Surrey. Effects to Louis Levite 9 Trinity St Southwark -Accountant

I note in the Old Bailey trial reference by Louis to his elderly mother leaving Edward money to establish the loan business and Mr Cohen brother in law a bottle merchant.
Phillip

phillip
14-07-2012, 6:34 PM
Robert
In the trial Reeves v Buckland- Daily News Sat 21 Sept 1861 reference is made to Edward Lewis Manager of a Loan Office Blackfriars Road and Louis Levite attorney's clerk who had managed the Loan Office for Lawrence Levy. Given that Louis admitted to being the brother of Edward in the Old Bailey Trial the complexity of the family relationships is very interesting. There is no doubt in my mind that Edward is ELL.
Phillip

RDWard
15-07-2012, 4:56 PM
Phillip

Regarding the house in Fetter Lane -well done for spotting that. Fantastic. The directories show W and L Levy, officers of the sheriff of London and Middlesex at 11 Fetter Lane in 1822, and there are newspaper reports of court cases placing them there around that time. This is William Levy (1770-1843) the husband of Elizabeth assumed Nathan. There is a question as to whether the L Levy is his son Lawrence or a brother. William Levy's sons continued as sheriff's officers for some years after 1843.

I previously spotted a Louis Jones Levite as a clerk of Edward Lawrence Levy who accused Charles Lewis (ELL’s uncle) of slander and assault. This appears to have been related to Charles Lewis’s disapproval of ELL’s dishonest dealings. The Times of 21st June 1864 reports Charles was found guilty of slander but not assault, and nominal damages of one farthing were awarded. It also says the plaintiff had been born Louis Jones but had taken the name Levite (Court of Queens Bench 20th June 1864). See also The Solicitors Journal & Reporter, 30th January 1864, which reports that Charles Lewis had made a complaint about ELL to the Law Society which then considered whether ELL should be struck off.

Although the Old Bailey case is fascinating, I do NOT believe Edward Lewis to be Edward Lawrence Levy. 1) the report of the case in the Morning Post of 12th May describes Edward Lewis as a middle aged man - ELL would be 37 in 1864, although maybe that counted as middle aged in those days. 2) the above 1864 events do not seem to mention ELL having been in prison, yet the Old Bailey case imprisoned Edward Lewis for 12 months on the 11th May 1863. 3) The names of relatives you mention do not fit anything I have, and nor does the idea of Levite being ELL’s brother. 4) I would have thought this kind of fraud, getting gullible people to deposit a security on the promise of a job, would be beneath ELL at that time – surely he was capable of far more lucrative swindles.

I also wondered whether this could refer to ELL’s uncle Edward Lewis, a solicitor of Great Marlborough Street who was also in the moneylending business, but he was thoroughly respectable and there are accounts of him appearing in court immediately before and after the Old Bailey trial, and indeed elsewhere on the very day of the trial, so it wasn’t him.

I therefore wonder whether the Edward Lewis in the Old Bailey case was actually a Jones, and that Louis Jones Levite and his associates were attempting to pass themselves off as members of the Levy/Lewis family.

Robert

phillip
15-07-2012, 6:26 PM
Robert
I re- visited the data on Edward Lewis/Louis Levite and it was clear that alias were being used. There are further Old Bailey accounts of Louis Levite and his brother Edward with reference to Louis being the Manager of the South Western Loan and Discount Company Ltd 110 Blackfriars Road. When I looked on Free BMD to locate the children of Louis I saw that there was a Louis Emanuel Jones birth March qtr 1859 Newington 1d 253 and I think I also spotted Edward Joseph b 1861 St George Southwark. This made me re- think whether or not Edward and Louis were really Lewis/Levy and I agree with what you say.
By the way, am I correct in thinking that the Levy were at 16 Fetter Lane- I remember seeing a record of that address amongst the research we have posted on. If so, what do you make of the account by Louis Levete in the 1863 trial where he says that Edward carried on business at 16 Fetter Lane as part proprietor with his sister and that his mother left them money. Also, the claim that they had very wealthy relatives. Do you think this is part of their deception to assume the Levy identity for commercial reasons? Levite is an odd surname to adopt because it suggests Jewish roots.
I will continue looking further until I take a long break next month.
Any more thoughts on the Nathan link?
Phillip

phillip
16-07-2012, 3:21 PM
Robert
Looking at the various addresses for the Levy/Levi ( this is probably known by you already but of possible interest to the Jacobs cousins) I note: The Morning Post Sat July 5 1845 P7- reference to the assault on Edward Lewis assistant sheriff's officer of 139 Strand.
The use by the Edward Lewis ( Jones) Secretary of the Tradesmen's and Mechanics Loan Office 16 Fetter Lane and his sister Maria Foster- Reynolds Newspaper Sunday June 7 1857
The Morning Post Sept 9 1854 P7- Moses Henry Jacobs law agent 47 Charrington St SomersTown and Henry Phillips clerk 16 Fetter Lane indicted for fraud.
I was interested in the continuing link between the various parties at 16 Fetter Lane. Moses being the son of Henry Jacobs/Kitty Moses.
Phillip

RDWard
16-07-2012, 4:58 PM
The address of 139 Strand is where Elizabeth Levy (c1784-1859), wife of William Levy (c1770-1843) died, e.g. see announcement in The Morning Post 17Nov1859 and other newspapers around that time. Her son Edward Lewis would be about 25 in 1845.
Regarding the exact number of the house in Fetter Lane, there seem to be numerous sources that place the Levy Sheriffs business in Fetter Lane but give no number. My father-in-law wrote that directories indicated it was number 11 in 1822-1833 and later at 131, but it is possible he made a transcription error. I haven't found anywhere to check this at the moment.
Various sources suggest Dryden may have lived at 16 but some also say there is no definite evidence for this. The print of Dryden's house was presumably made many decades after his death in 1700 and may involve a degree of imaginative interpretation for commercial reasons. There are several different prints on the internet. It could be that the Levite/Jones business was at a different number, or that the houses were renumbered. I'm keeping an open mind.
Robert

phillip
16-07-2012, 8:21 PM
Robert
If you look at the Court of Appeal Case Levy v Lewis 1 Feb 1861- The Law Journal Reports Vol 30, Part 2 p142 it refers to the plaintiff ( Levy) holding 16 Fetter Lane as a tenant. The case relates to unspecified Levy and Edward Lewis ( I believe this Edward to be Edward Jones). The case includes the section.... " I went to Mr Levy's office in Catherine St... Mr L told me it was his intention to keep the house." The case indicates that Levy had been a tenant at 16 Fetter Lane for some years prior to the Court Case.
There is no reference to the first name of Levy. There is an earlier case which refers to Levy and Fetter Lane but no address. The Catherine St address for Levy suggests the Strand area.
I have discovered more data on Levy/Jacobs/Hart which I will post.
Phillip

RDWard
16-07-2012, 9:48 PM
Lawrence Levy (i.e. Edward Lawrence Levy's father) lived in Catherine Street. There is a newspaper report (I did not keep the details) that in March 1858, he was owed money by a bankrupt music publisher called C H Purday. Reports of this case give Lawrence's address as Catherine Street, Strand.

phillip
17-07-2012, 9:38 AM
In Reynolds Newspaper Sunday Feb 2 1862 and The Times Jan 28 1862 there are accounts of the trial involving .. "Mr Lawrence Levy, a Jew, formerly a sheriff's officer, the manager of a loan office at 31 Brydges Street Covent Garden and the proprietor of the the Garrick Theatre Leman Street Whitechapel ..accused of unlawfully detaining a pianoforte." Also involved in the trial was "Solomon Jacobs, a Jew, the brother in law of the defandant."
This Solomon Jacobs also known as Samuel was the brother of Moses Henry Jacobs. They were both sons of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses.
The brothers appear together in an 1845 trial and later there appears to have been a major falling out because Moses issued a writ against Solomon who was tried with others at the Middlesex Sessions in 1852- Daily News Sat July 3 1852 and Lloyds Weekly Newspaper Sunday 22 August 1852. Solomon was acquitted and Moses was referred to as being 'well known' for such proceedings and accused of 'bad motives by the brother of the defendant."
I have yet to trace Solomon/Samuel in the census returns.

Interestingly and linked to 16 Fetter Lane is the case of Moses Henry Jacobs 47 Charrington St Somerstown law agent and Henry Phillips, clerk, 16 Fetter Lane accused of fraud- see The Morning Post Sept 9 1854 P 7. Moses is the brother in law of Lawrence Levy the sheriff's officer.

There is a further potential link to the bills of exchange scams involving the Levy/Hart/Jacobs in which The Standard Sat June 2 1866 P 7 reported the bankruptcy of H C Hart tailor 52 Burlington Road Bayswater in which certain bills of exchange he claimed to hold proved to be fictitious. He is Henry Chapman Hart son of John Hart and Elizabeth Jacobs ( daughter of Henry Jacobs and Kitty Moses) and my 2x great grandfather. I would be interested to learn if the Levy were involved.
Phillip

phillip
18-07-2012, 2:49 PM
As a follow up to the previous posting here is further data on the connection between Edward Lawrence Levy and his other dealings at 2 Bow Street Covent Garden. The first relates to him being the solicitor acting for the bankrupt Henry Chapman Hart known as H.C. Hart late 0f 63 George St, Portman Square previously 17 Piccadilly and residing 52 Wellington Square Bayswater Middx -tailor. Mr E L Levy 2 Bow St Covent Garden solicitor for the defendant.
Henry had been a debtor in Whitecroft Prison January 1866.- The Morning Post Sat 26-27 Jan 1866. Previous involvement of the Levy/Jacobs in bill exchanges had led to Henry Jacobs being imprisoned in the Debtors prison age 75. Henry Chapman Hart was the grandson of Henry Jacobs.

The Times Sept 26 1867 p9 describes the establishment of The Debt Recovery Association 2 Bow Street with the secretary Mr C W Lewis.The secretary was described as.." Mr Lewis barrister at law, special pleader, member of the Home Circuit, Middlesex Sessions and Central Criminal Court 12 years".
Another solicitor Mr F Lewis complained to the Bow St Magistrate claiming the description could only apply to him and .."he was not the person carrying on the disgraceful business and pretending to be a barrister of law and solicitor.." A reference to the Law List showed there was only one person named Lewis Mr Charles Wray Lewis but he was no longer a barrister.
The newspaper does not further report whether or not the Association was related to Edward Lawrence Levy but the Bow Street address suggests a very likely connection.
Phillip

phillip
18-07-2012, 4:02 PM
There are various newspaper articles relating to Charles Wray Lewis who was a disbarred barrister including his bankruptcy and debts. The articles also include reference to Lawrence Levi ( no specific reference to who he is) owing him money and the trial involving Lewis's brother Captain E Lewis as a defendant in a case involving his slander and assault on his brother- The Caledonian Mercury Tues April 24 1866. There is a later newspaper article - The Morning Post Dec 12 1867 P7 in which Charles Wray Lewis is on trial and named as a debt collector renting the ground floor of 2 Bow Street since July 1867.No reference is made to any Levy/Levi being at the same address.
Phillip

phillip
18-07-2012, 4:22 PM
Robert and others- Having checked the family trees for Levy/Lewis/Nathan I should have known that Charles Wray Lewis 1832-1871 was the son of Charles Lewis and Mary Anne Wray. Charles Lewis snr 1801-1864 being one of the sons of Elizabeth Nathan 1784-1859 and one of the Levy/Lewis line. In the 1871 Census RG10 677 132 8 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) Charles Wray Lewis is with his wife and family and described as a Barrister at Law in Practice - 3 Russell St.
In the newspaper articles relating to Charles Wray Lewis he stated that he had received £20000 from his father who had also employed a clerk to deal with Charles's creditors.
The twists and turns with the Jacobs/Hart/Lewis/Levy families are a book in its own right.
Phillip

RDWard
19-07-2012, 9:21 AM
Charles Wray Lewis was Edward Lawrence Levy's cousin, and sadly another wrongdoer. He died at the age of 38 shortly after the 1871 census, and the events in the years leading up to this seem consistent with descent into alcoholic decline. The brother he fell out with, Captain E Lewis, was Ernest who later became one of the founders of the Army and Navy Stores. The Lawrence Levy mentioned in recent posts as a theatre owner, is Edward Lawrence Levy's father. Earlier in life he was a wine merchant, and probably regarded theatres as a means of selling alcohol. George Rowell (1993), in The Old Vic Theatre (page 33), states that from around 1835: "Over the next six years the Victoria Theatre drifted downwards. The lease passed into the hands of a Mr Lawrence Levy, apparently not a theatre man, and the first of several lessees who may have seen the sale of liquor as more profitable than the provision of entertainment ... [the managers] ... were unproven and unproved." Lawrence Levy also in 1850 held the lease of the Terrace pier and gardens at Gravesend, probably for the same reasons. These gardens were much visited in the 1840s, but began to lose popularity after 1850 as the railways allowed Londoners to visit further into Kent.
Robert

phillip
19-07-2012, 9:54 AM
Robert
Do you know how William and Elizabeth Levy became property owners and their line become sheriff's officers?
Phillip

phillip
20-07-2012, 7:56 AM
As a follow up to the the case relating to the dispute between Captain Ernest Lewis and his brother Charles Wray Lewis The Liverpool Mercury Tuesday 24 April 1866 referred to Charles Wray Lewis sending a card to his brother addressed to Captain Levi. When challenged regarding the name Charles confirmed that his brother's name was Levi and his father was also Levi. The trial also named Albert Henry Lewis doctor and brother of Charles and Ernest.

The House of Fraser Archives names the original 8 Directors of the Army and Navy Cooperative Society Ltd including Captain Ernest Lewis. The Times Thurs 29 1926 refers to the death of Captain Ernest Lewis who died 3 April 1926.. "He was the sole surviving member of the original Board of Directors. He was joint managing Director and Treasurer until he retired in 1914 after 43 years."
The National Probate Records show- Ernest Lewis of The Red House Guildford Surrey died 3 April 1926. probate to-Ellen Wyndham Hawes widow and David Marc Andrew Graham Hawes Engineer. Effects £ 14618.6s
Phillip

phillip
20-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Robert
In response to my question regarding how William Levi and Elizabeth his wife had obtained significant wealth and properties I am mindful of the 'First Report from the Committee on the State of the Police in the Metropolis, 1817'. In this report reference is made to Moses Levi and his wife being indicted for keeping a 'bawdy house' in Cavendish Court but acquitted and the later involvement of his brother William Levi in the same house. The National Archives Sun Fire Records show a William Levy , Cavendish Court Houndsditch Gent- other property or occupiers 6 Cavendish Court.
The Report refers to 2 Cavendish Court " it was kept by a man of property.. it had been open for a long series of years...not able to prove that Levi and his wife were the owners of the house...we proved they lived in the adjoining houses... Mrs Levi denied having any dealings with No 2 and were going to move from no 3 and they did remove to a house in Goodmansfields.. where, this man is a sheriff's officer under the Marshalsea Court and resides in the house usually called a lock up.. was he a sheriffs' officer in 1815, Yes for years past. So, that Mr Levi maybe understood by the Committee as being employed in three trades: sheriff's officer, keeper of a brothel and keeper of a the wine house? The wine house and brothel are one in the same."
Immense profits were taken from the house at £6-8 per day. Mrs Levi settled the bills on the house.

There is no specific reference to William and Elizabeth Levi being the owners of the properties but I believe that in a later report they are named.
Phillip

RDWard
20-07-2012, 11:52 AM
I don't know how or why William and his family originally became sheriffs officers, he seems earlier to have been a tailor and dealer, but it seems to have been something that ran in the Levy, Nathan families and associated families. Perhaps as moneylenders they needed to keep an eye on the processes involved in dealing with debtors. It was not a well regarded occupation as is clear from satirical comments in the press implying they were common, ignorant and of illicit wealth, including remarks about their ethnicity that would clearly be illegal these days. One of my favourites is from The Figaro in 1837:

"Old Levy is a sheriff's officer in Newman Street - and of his sons; Lawrence Levy is the lessee of The Victoria, and a bailiff in Fetter Lane, - and he has a brother who calls himself Charles, and who has got somehow or other admitted an attorney, while there is another, George, (also Lewis) who is an auctioneer, or was an auctioneer somewhere. The lawyer angles for clients, and when he has caught them, the bailiff arrests them, and the auctioneer sells them up, so that if a man is to be eaten up, devoured and done for, not a bone need go out of the family."

Our plan is to collect all this kind of information together into an updated version of my father-in-law's "Facta Non Verba" account which he wrote around 1970. It is clearly going to take some time. To keep it manageable it will have to be be restricted to within the William Levy and Charles Lewis trees. The main purpose would be to collect things together in a form that might stand a chance of surviving proprietary restrictions and lifespans.

phillip
20-07-2012, 2:07 PM
Robert
If the authorities had 'dug deeper' they would have seen from the Sun Fire Records that Moss Levy was the named owner/occupier at 3 Cavendish Court 1804; John Levy 3 Cavendish Court lodging house keeper 1830 ( maybe a different Levy); William Levy 4 Alie Street Goodman Fields and 2 Cavendish Court Houndsditch 1816; William Levy 7 Great Prescot St Goodman Fields gent and 6 Cavendish Court Houndsditch 1819 and at 88 Newman St and 6 Cavendish Court 1822.

What do you know about Moses/Moss Levy brother of William? You mention William being a tailor/clothes dealer where did you locate the records to confirm this? I am still trying to identify Rebecca Crawcour as a Levy.
Phillip

phillip
20-07-2012, 2:37 PM
In 'Policing the City: Crime and Legal Authority in London,1780-1840' Andrew Todd Harris, 2004 The Ohio State University ( see extracts on Google Books) he refers to Moses and Judith Levy in 1806 at the Cavendish Court brothel address and William and Judith Levy in 1815. I can't see the source for these names so can't vouch for their accuracy but if accurate then the person named as Judith appears to be associated with both brothers.
Phillip

RDWard
20-07-2012, 3:39 PM
Phillip
From my father-in-law's research:
Holden's triennial 1805/7 and 1809/11 has William Levy tailor and dealer of 39 Haydon Street, Minories.
From 1812 to 1816 he is described as an Officer to the Marshalsea Court at this same address.
In 1817 he is at 4 Great Alie Street, of the Marshalsea Court, with a House of Custody.
In 1822 Officer to the Sheriff at 7 Prescot Street, Goodmans Field and also W&L Levy at 11 Fetter Lane.
From 1824 onwards L Levy, Sheriff’s Officer, of 88 Newman Street, with House of Custody, and in 1836 William and Lawrence Levy at this address.

I think he had some doubts that these were all the same person, but now we have access to the sun insurance records we can see they all link together, and also to Cavendish Court (I also find it strange that the authorities did not use the insurance records to find who owned Cavendish Court. Perhaps someone was bribed not to find them).

Moses/Moss Levy seems to crop up in association with some of these addresses in various sources, but this takes us into the pre-1810 period when nothing seems certain and everything possible. I wondered whether Moss or Moses Levy was William Levy's father. A firm called Newton and Levy, specifically Charles Newton and Moses Levy, is mentioned in a case at the Old Bailey of 20th September 1797. This may be Newton & Levy, Merchts., 41, Haydon-Square, Minories in Kent's 1794 Directory. Another mention of Newton and Levy appears in the case of Dorneville v Levy (1803) which features a Mrs Elizabeth Nathan whose husband was a linen draper in the Minories, who had formerly been in partnership with the defendant, Levy.
Robert

RDWard
20-07-2012, 3:52 PM
Re the Policing the City book - I seem to have been able to download the references to page 115 from another source.

The reference to William and Judith Levy is:
84. C.L.R.O., Rep. 210, October 21, 1806, ff. 608–11; Rep. 213, July 11, 1809, ff. 515–17; Rep. 219,May 9, 1815, ff. 500–2.

The reference to brothel ownership being passed through a family is:
85. This may have been the Cavendish Court brothel mentioned to the parliamentary
committee on policing in 1817, when the City solicitor claimed that a certain disorderly
house had been operating continuously since 1806 under five separate owners; see 1817
Police Committee, 677.

RDWard
20-07-2012, 3:58 PM
Another interesting reference says:
76. C.L.R.O., Rep. 222, May 19, 1818, ff. 403–7. The memorial also suggested that the
City had prosecuted brothels in the past as a source of revenue, a kind of indirect tax on
the foreigners who ran them, so the costs were presumably balanced out by fines. By
“foreigners” the memorialists may have meant Jews, since many of the brothel-keepers
in ward presentments had Jewish names: numerous Cohens, Levys, Nathans, and
Solomons.

phillip
21-07-2012, 8:38 AM
Robert
Probably for the 'back burner' reference- I noted ( I can't find the newspaper source) the change of name in 1824 by Alexander Levi of Bury St Merchant who was given authority to adopt the surname Newton in addition to and after his surname as his father Moses Levi Newton and been granted. These people may or may not be of relevance to the Levi/Levy/Newton but worth a note.
Following up the William Levi and 2 Cavendish Court data The Court of King's Bench Dec 22 1819 - The Morning Chronicle Thurs Dec 23 1819 records the case of William ( his name is not stated in the trial and the case refers to Spall v Massett? and others- I couldn't read the names in the article clearly) who was complaining about the notice placed above his properties with the sign "Beware of Bad Houses". The case described William as a " Gentleman of the Jewish persuasion ...that he was the tenant of two houses situated in Cavendish Court , Houndsditch".. one of them being a wine merchant's shop. The court was told.." the house has been from time immemorial a notorious brothel..... respectable inhabitants of the parish proved that the palintiff's house during his inhabitancy was a common brothel and had been for so any time during the last fifteen years.. the reason why it had not been indicted long since was the difficulty of finding the ostensible occupier."
The point made in the previous post regarding 'back handers' to various parties such as fines to prevent full indictment appears to be very accurate given the Sun Fire Records showing William and Moss were the tenants of the properties. However, the use of other parties names as tenants of the properties also appears to have been a device for covering up the real individuals who actually were the 'tenants'.
Phillip

phillip
21-07-2012, 7:21 PM
Robert
As a follow up to your post 110 in which you refer to Charles Newton and Moses Levy- 41 Haydon Square. Moses in 1800 was at Prescot St Goodman's Fields and changed his name to Moses Levy Newton. He was in partnership with Charles Newton in 1784 as seal engravers; lapidaries;hardware and toymen. The Sun Fire Records show he held property at 5 Magdalen Row Gt Prescot St and 41 Haydon Square Minories from 1811-to his death in 1823- National Archives have his will. His daughter Kitty Levy Newton took over 41 Haydon Square in 1824. Moses was also a West India Merchant- see National Archive UK records. His children- Sarah;Kitty;Lewis;Coleman;Philip; Mary; Alexander- taken from a family tree and not verified. Can't see a connection to the Moses/Moss Levy brother of William but his will may say otherwise.
Phillip

phillip
21-07-2012, 7:42 PM
Robert
There is a family tree for Moses Levy Newton in 'Records of the Franklin Family and Collaterals' ( this book was referred to in one of our earlier postings). However, for this extract on Google Books P187 which has the tree is omitted. The records show that Moses had a brother called Samson Lucas who died in 1813 at Haydon Square and who was formerly of Jamaica West Indies.
Phillip

phillip
21-07-2012, 8:26 PM
Robert
We are looking over 'old territory'.We made reference to Moses Levy Newton on the Maurice Newton Nathan- Lizzie Jacobs posts. The will summary of Moses Levy Nathan is on Synagogue Scribes NA 1188. It appears he had a half brother Samson Lucas. There are other wills of Moses children on Synagogue scribes.
Phillip

phillip
22-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Robert
I have been looking at the various addresses you posted on William/Lawrence Levy and others and have consulted JewishGen London Trade Directories; Historical Directories University of Leicester site; Ancestry Com lists of trade directories; National Archive Records and so far this is what I have confirmed:
W & S Levy 131 Fetter Lane Robson 1830; George Lewis 131 Fetter Lane- The Spectator Jan 7 1840
There are much earlier references to Judah Levy merchant Heydon Square Minories Merchant 1769-1775 Bankrupt Gentleman's Magazine- merchant, dealer and chapman; Alexander Levy solicitor 2 Haydon Square Minories Johnston 1817-1818;Lyon Joseph Levy 29 Minories 1808 linen draper and haberdasher; Lyon Levy 5 Haydon Square Minories Merchant 1805- diamond and pearl merchant in and there in 1795; M A Levy and son slop sellers 31 St Catherine's and 7 Irongate 1808; Moses Levy 26 Haydon St silversmith; jeweller; watchmaker 1830s

In your father in in law's records on William Levy etc does he cite the sources of the addresses? I have looked at several hundred records and the above are what I have deemed potentially relevant so confirmation of the 39 Haydon St;4 Great Alie St; 7 Prescott St addresses would be useful.
Phillip

phillip
13-09-2012, 7:01 AM
Robert
I note on the 1841 Census HO 107 55 10 36 18 ( Crown Copyright,TNA) reference to John Lewis 1809 -1855 solicitor 30 and also to a Mary Lewis 20. John was born in county but Mary was not. Henry Levy 1 is also at the address. William and Elizabeth Levy with others appear also in the preceding record. Having looked at your family tree and the will of Elizabeth Levy you posted I can't identify who Mary Lewis is. I know John died single in 1855. Can you shed any light on who Mary Lewis is?
Phillip

RDWard
14-09-2012, 9:06 AM
The Mary Lewis who is with John in the 1841 census is a mystery. John does not appear to have married (he is shown as single in 1851). She might have been a sister, but I have not found any other reference to a sister of that name. The Henry Levy of unclear age who seems to be with him is also odd, because his brother Henry Levy is almost certainly the person at 17 Norfolk Street with another brother, Lawrence Levy. That was certainly Henry's address in 1842.

Also, apologies for not responding to the previous post. My father-in-law seems to have relied mainly on Holden’s triennial. However, if you look at the Sun Fire insurance index, it confirms that all these addresses are linked with William Levy.

phillip
14-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Thank you Robert. Another question- what do you make of the National Archives record Commissions and Inquisitions of Lunancy Ref C211/30/27 - John Lewis care of Henry Levy 14 Arundel St Strand Middx Dec 1854.
Henry was at 14 Arundel St as a solicitor. Do I assume that the record relates to John Lewis who was at the time of his death suffering from mental illness?

A separate point- we may have already discussed this but do the Lewis who became solicitors as part of the James Graham Lewis and George George Coleman Hamilton Lewis brothers have any remote relationship to the Levy/Lewis of our lines? I ask because their mother was Sarah Levy Lewis.
Phillip

phillip
14-09-2012, 3:08 PM
Robert- another puzzle. I see in The London Gazette 21 June 1861 the dispute regarding the Estate of John Lewis late of Arundel St Strand and Hayes Middx solicitor who died on or about July 1855 and the plaintiff Louisa Lewis against the defendant Charles Lewis the creditors of the said John Lewis. They were to appear before the Master of the Rolls and prove their debts before 3 July 1861.
Is Louisa Lewis the same person as Louisa Levy who appears in 1861 Census living single as a lodger at 139 Strand. Is this a family fall out regarding the estate of John Lewis?
Phillip

phillip
14-09-2012, 7:13 PM
The following data is taken from The London Gazette Archives- The London Gazette Oct 26 1860-Partnership dissolved between:
Catherine Lewis, Louisa Lewis and Elizabeth Hart carrying on business at 7 Portland Place Circus Road St. John's Wood Middx as Berlin Wool, Fancy and Toy Repository Keepers. These maybe The Levy/Lewis/Hart relatives.
Interestingly at the same address but earlier- The London Gazette 19 Dec 1854 Lewis Levy Picture Dealer Insolvent Debtor in the Queen's Bench Prison. This same person also known as Louis Levy was listed 11 June 1852 at 53 Smith Street Mile End Road and 14 Broad St Buildings London Picture Dealer and Discount Bills of Exchange Agent. Is he one of the Levy/Lewis associated with Bills of Exchange? Future research is needed.
Phillip

RDWard
15-09-2012, 9:50 AM
Re John Lewis – thanks for spotting the lunacy record which I had not seen – John died in July 1855 so it does look like he had a mental illness.

re James Graham Lewis - I have been in touch with several people over the years who have wondered whether there was any connection with James Graham Lewis and the other legal firm, Lewis and Lewis, sometimes referred to as the Jamaican Lewises. Although there are some tempting coincidences, I do not know of any definite link. I suspect if there is any connection it would be during the late 1700s at the latest.

re Louisa Lewis. 139 Strand was where her mother had died in 1859 – Louisa seems to have remained a Levy until then. It looks like a minor fall out (compared to some of the other disagreements). My father-in-law saw documents relating to John Lewis’s estate and wrote that John died intestate, leaving £600. Administration went to Charles Lewis after his mother and next of kin had renounced the Letters of Administration. After Charles’ died in 1864 it was found that £20 of the estate remained un-administered and further Letters of Administration were granted to Louisa Lewis of Pimlico (TNA catalogue shows the case was revived in 1865). There is then some mystery surrounding Louisa – I’m trying to collect all this together in order to update my father-in-law’s book.

The people mentioned in the last post (toy repositors and picture dealer) do not look like obvious relatives.

phillip
15-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Robert
I have confirmed that the Lewis Levy who I referred to in previous posts was also known as Lewis Lewis. The Morning Chronicle Sat Nov 18 1854 refers to his regular appearance in the insolvency courts -the figure of 5-10 insolvent court appearances over many years was quoted. In the Morning Post Sat Sept 30 1854- Lewis referred to his large family; son called David a merchant at Salter's Hall Chambers and that he resided with his daughters at St John's Wood. The 1851 Census ( Crown Copyright,TNA) shows Lewis at 53 Smith St Stepney-HO107 1552 898 16
Lewis Levy H M 82 General Dealer b Whitechapel; Mary A Levy wife 48 b Whitechapel; Elizabeth Hart dau 38 b East Smithfield; Sarah Watson niece U 9 b Hammersmith; Louisa Lewis dau 24 b Surrey Kent Road; 1 servant

I suspect that Louisa and Elizabeth Hart are two of the partners at 7 Portland Place who were running the repository.
As for Lewis Levy alias Lewis Lewis he is considerably older than his wife with a dob circa 1769 and may have been previously married with a first family. You will have noted his involvement in a Bill of Exchange and Discount House. How many Levy/Lewis were there in the same business? Interesting to speculate possible connections.
With regard to the Sarah Levy Lewis line I have seen data connecting the line to CS Lewis and also the complex relationships of the individuals which suggestions they were brought up by step aunt and uncle.
Phillip

phillip
16-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Robert
Just to confirm and clarify my own relationship to the Levy/Lewis lines including Lawrence Levy and his wife Rebecca Jacobs and their son Edward Lawrence. Synagogue Scribes and Cemetery Scribes include the tombstone of Henry Jacobs my 4x great grandfather plus data on his death and the naming of his father David. Henry's dob-death were 1768-1865. In addition, I hold a copy of his death certificate which confirms age at death. The Synagogue Records show GSM 238/30 Marriage Rebecca Jacobs-father's Hebrew name Tsevi Hirsh married Lawrence Levy -father Yehuda Leib Priv Member- 29 March 1826

Rebecca is the sister of Elizabeth Jacobs my 3x great grandmother. Elizabeth's marriage GSM 124/45 26 August 1818- father Tsevi Hirsh Jacobs Priv Member- married John Hart. John and Elizabeth- my 3x great grandparents.

I hope this enables you to work out my precise relationship via my Jacobs line to your wife's Levy relatives- distant cousins x times removed.
Phillip

ABrooks
18-09-2012, 2:03 PM
Hi Phillip, this is my first post so I hope this is the right place to reply. I am one of the people Robert has been corresponding with re Edward Lewis (Charles Lewis's brother). Edward's daughter Elizabeth Rose Wilmar(known as Constance) Lewis is possbily my 2x great grandmother. Constance supposedly had a son (speculative) Edward Rayner my great grandfather who was sent to Australia as a remittance man. We have no idea why. Family stories are that Edward claimed to have an "Uncle" Sir George Lewis and that his mother was Constance Lewis who ran off with a foreign banker. We have tracked down Constance living with Eugene Brocheton over several census from 1881 to 1911. Eugene is a foreign banker who moved from Paris to London so we are confident we have the right Constance.

The only Sir George Lewis that I can track down that fits the time frame is Sir George Henry Lewis the son of James Graham Lewis and nephew of George Coleman Hamilton Lewis. Hence the reply to your last point in post #120 re the Lewis connection. I have been trying to find a link but have not found anything that connects the 2 families. They did know each other as George Henry represented Frances Lewis (Constance's sister) at her divorce from Edward Tyrrell Lewis.

I discovered in the Article Clerk records that came on line recently in Ancestry that Noah Edward Lewis is listed as James Graham Lewis father - refer Articles for James Graham Lewis 1824. Also listed is Louis Lewis who I think is a brother to James and George. They are living at 3 Melina Place Westminster Road Surrey.

There is another web site http://www.fivenine.co.uk/family_history_notebook/family_pages/lewis/noah_edward_lewis.html which contains a lot of resarch on the Lewis family. In that site there is a will mentioned for Noah Edward Lewis which refers to his wife as Frances. In the 1841 Census Sophia Levy Lewis is living with a Fanny Lewis aged 70. Sophia refers to James Graham Lewis and George Coleman Hamilton Lewis as her brothers in her will. I suspect that Fanny=Frances and is James, George and Sophia's mother. I note in your post #120 that you state that their mother was Sarah Levy Lewis. Do you have any information that links Sarah Levy Lewis to be their mother?

Adrian

phillip
18-09-2012, 5:09 PM
Dear Adrian
My 120# post referring to Sophia Levy Lewis as the mother of George; Louis; James was an error. I know little about these lines and had looked at the transcribed copy of the will of Sophia Levy Lewis which had also contained on the website reference to the various relationships of the individuals referred to in the will. As a very brief summary and to aid other researchers interested in the lines the will described bequests to: Charles Vallancy Lewis son of Sophia plus her brothers- George Coleman Hamilton;James Lewis; Louis Lewis and sister Kate ( Catherine) Keogh; sister in law Harriet Lewis;Esther wife of Maurice Davis; Isabella wife of John Lawrence ( the transcriber of the will had suggested that Isabella may have been the daughter of Sophia);..Benson Lawrence;Josephine Lawrence;niece Fanny Lindo;Harriet Lemon wife of Henry Lemon;Catherine McIntyre wife of Altamont..Eorson;Georgina Lawrence;Emmeline Lewis;friend Adelaide wife of Aaron Salamon; nephews-George Henry Lewis;Frederick Hyman Lewis;Lewis Lucas Lewis

The Morning Post Thurs June 27 1861 referred to the Death of Sophia- On the 17 inst at 20 Woburn Place Russell Square, Mrs S L Lewis relict of the late H L Lewis of Kingston Jamaica age 72

There are a range of probate and other records for Sophia and her son; brothers on Ancestry Com. I am happy to post data if you do not have the details ( I suspect that you already have significant data on the lines). The other websites I have seen also refer to various individuals including Catherine Lewis being brought up by their step uncle and step aunt. You may wish to post data on the Sophia Levy Lewis lines as a new post.
Phillip

phillip
18-09-2012, 7:20 PM
Adrian
You may want to look at the records relating to Sophia Levy Lewis and her son plus other members of the line on Cemetery Scribes site-Charles Vallancy Lewis Person ID 12167; Sophia Levy Lewis Person ID 12628. I note that Catherine Lewis who died in 1842 is ascribed in the records as the daughter of Sophia. However, in the transcribed will there is a Catherine McIntyre married- is this a different Catherine? I ask because The Standard( London) Fri Dec 9 1842 has the Death of Catherine McIntyre:
Dec 5 at 25 Woburn Place Russell Square Catherine relict of the late T G McIntyre Lieutenant 91st Regiment.
The Woburn address appears in later Lewis records.
Phillip

phillip
18-09-2012, 7:37 PM
Adrian and other related researchers- see National Archives UK for Probate Records on:
PROB 11/1781 will of Henry Levy otherwise Levi Lewis Merchant Kingston in the County of Surrey,Island of Jamaica 1831
PROB 11/1952 will of John Lewis Assistant Commissary General 25 Woburn Place Russell Square 1841
PROB 11/1985 will of Catherine MacIntyre widow 25 Woburn Place 1843
Phillip

phillip
19-09-2012, 10:17 AM
The Morning Post Weds Sept 8 1841-On 4 May 1841 Perth Western Australia -Death-John Lewis Assistant Commissary General Aged 48. I note also a website containing Australian newspaper archive records of his death by suicide and a photograph of his tombstone- his age given as 49.
Phillip

phillip
19-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Adrian and Robert
I have downloaded the National Archives Will for Henry Levy Lewis 1831 which includes his original will dated 1 Oct 1819 and later Codicil 16 Feb 1831.
In the 1819 will Henry leaves his goods and chattels to his wife Sophia Levy Lewis and appoints her and his brother in law Louis Levy Parish of Saint Catherine in the said Island ( Jamaica) as executors. The 1831 Codicil names Henry's "Natural Children.. William, Emma and John".

The Codicil of 1831 also refers to Sophia Levy ( otherwise LEVI) Lewis widow.

I am unsure if the Levi reference is to her maiden name or an alternative spelling of Levy.

You may want to look at the will yourselves to check carefully the accuracy of the names because the handwriting is not always clear.

Is the inference from the will that Charles Vallancy Lewis is an illigitimate son by Sophia and there maybe other such children?

Phillip

ABrooks
19-09-2012, 2:09 PM
Phillip, thanks for all of the information I have downloaded the probate for Catherine Macintyre and Jonh Lewis and its going to take time to sort out,

a) as its not easy to read
b) Catherine states in one part that Sophia is her mother in law and then further on just states mother
c) She also states that Louis Lewis of Jamaica is her brother in law and Louis Lewis of Panama is her brother yet Sophia states in her will that Louis Lewis is her brother.

I have also looked at the will of Henry Levy Lewis previously and found it very hard to read. Also found it strange that there is no reference to Charles Vallencey Sophia's son.

Adrian

phillip
19-09-2012, 3:40 PM
Happy to support Adrian. As you may know my Crawcour relatives settled In Melbourne and I lived in WA Perth and NSW so have a personal interest in tracking down my paternal lines. Looking at the Henry Levy Lewis will I suspect Charles is an illegitimate son.
Would you like to post on Edward Rayner and the others. I will down load the Catherine and John Lewis wills. Looks as if there are complex relationships.
Phillip

phillip
19-09-2012, 5:50 PM
Adrian
I have downloaded the will of Catherine Macintyre 1831 and this is what I have deduced- does it match what you have read:
The bequests by Catherine refer to:
* Mother in law Sophia Levy Lewis Woburn Place
*Catherine Macintyre Lewis daughter of my brother Louis Lewis
*Caroline Macintyre Lewis daughter of my brother Andrew...? Lewis
* Catherine the wife of George..?
* Andrew Isaacs of Kingston Jamaica
* George Coleman Hamilton Executor
* Catherine Macintyre Testatrix
* My brother Louis Lewis of Kingston Jamaica
* My brother Louis Lewis of Panama
* Brother-Charles Vallancey Lewis Woburn Place
* James Graham Lewis of Ely Place Holborn
* My dear sister Flora the wife of Louis Lewis of Jamaica
*My aunt ..Isaacs of Gt Prescott Street Goodmansfields
*Isabella Isacs 34 Bernard Street Russell Square
* My Grandmother Elizabeth Isaacs
*Eliza Isaacs
*..Martin Sarah Isaacs
*Frances Lewis Aunt-Woburn Place
* Levey Lewis of Jamaica
* Uncle- Mr J S Louisson?

Nb I think that the initial letter preceding " My dear *mother Sophia Levy Lewis .." last page of the will indicates mother in law but this would need confirmation

Nb Catherine requested that she was buried according to the Jewish Faith

It looks from the will that there are 2 Louis Lewis - 1 in Jamaica and one in Panama

What are your comments?
Phillip

phillip
19-09-2012, 6:20 PM
Adrian
Questions you have already asked yourself- who are the children referred to in the Henry Levy Lewis will- what happened to them and where do Charles, Catherine, Flora, Andrew, Louis originate from as siblings if Sophia is their mother in law or even their mother?
Very interesting lines - somethings don't add up though do they.
Phillip

RDWard
27-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Gradually working through the articles of clerkship records recently added to Ancestry, this is a note of Edward Lawrence Levy's articles to his uncle, Charles Lewis, for five years from the 8th May, 1843. Being still a minor, his father was also party to the agreement. The document was transcribed and witnessed by Edward’s brother David L Levy (which seems odd because David would be even younger than Edward at the time). Edward, David and their father Lawrence all give their address as 17 Norfolk Street. Edward was still there on completion of articles and on his admission as an attorney to Her Majesties Court of Queens Bench on the 8th May, 1848. By this time it seems he is no longer a minor (suggesting he was born before 8th May 1827). Edward is also mentioned as articled to Charles Lewis during the insolvency of Gibbs (1846) when Edward presented to the Court a record of a judgment obtained by his grandmother, Elizabeth Levy, against Gibbs (see Daily News 22-1-1846).

phillip
27-09-2012, 8:12 PM
Missing from the current Jacobs data base- Death of Rebecca Levy nee Jacobs wife of Lawrence Levy Sheriff's Officer:
The Sydney Morning Herald Fri 20 Nov 1874- at her residence 69 Sutherland Gardens Maida Vale West London in her 71st year, Rebecca, relict of the late Lawrence Levy Esq and dearly beloved mother of Mr D L Levy Solicitor of this city.
Phillip

phillip
27-09-2012, 8:15 PM
Omitted from last post the death date of Rebecca Levy - Sept 30 1874.
Phillip

phillip
28-09-2012, 7:57 AM
Adrian and Robert
I am planning to visit the Society of Genealogists in London to review the Anglo Jewish collections by Colyer-Fergusson;Hyamson; Mordy and D'Arcy Hart. I have done this before on several occasions and obtained important documents including family trees on my Jacobs and Crawcour lines. Whether or not there are documents relating to the lines we are researching remains to be determined. In addition, the Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain holds family trees and a wide range of data on Anglo Jewish families at their London library. I have not visited the JGSGB so can't confirm what records, if any, they may hold on the families we are researching.
Before I plan my visit can you please confirm what records you currently hold on the lines such as family trees. I assume from our postings that much of the data collated to date is based on internet searches- am I correct?
Phillip

RDWard
28-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Interesting that David Levy put notices in the Sydney papers for both his father (1873) and his mother (1874). NB number 60 Sutherland Gardens (not 69).
Re last post - the information I have is mainly from the internet, plus what was collected by my father-in-law (including an outline tree from the Tyrrell-Lewis solicitors around 1970) written up in his 'Fact Non Verba', and various certificates, wills, TNA documents, a children's health book from one of the Lewises which even has locks of baby hair, and so on. The additional material all relates to the Levy/Lewis lines.

phillip
28-09-2012, 3:21 PM
National Probate Calender ( Index of wills and administration)1858-1966:
Rebecca Levy late of 60 Sutherland Gardens Harrow Road Paddington widow who died 29 Sept 1874 at 60 Sutherland Gardens-Rebecca Levy spinster the daughter one of the residuary legatees now residing in France. This probate record dated 1890.
Robert- do you know why there was a delay in this probate?
Based on your family tree comments it looks as if Rebecca may have been with her sister Francesca in France.
Phillip

RDWard
28-09-2012, 7:55 PM
My father-in-law wrote that Rebecca Levy left £163 with a will that was invalid presumably due to her executor, her brother-in-law Henry Levy, having witnessed her signature. Daughter Rebecca again became involved as administratrix through an attorney since she was now residing in France. The will bequeathed the estate to children Elizabeth, Rebecca and Albert equally. He assumes her wishes were respected.

ABrooks
28-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Phillip,
re post #139, thanks for making the trip. Prior to the information from Robert I was not aware of the Jewish roots of the Lewis line so would be interested to see if there are any relevant records. The data I have is predominantly internet based, other than birth, marriage, death certificates, wills and a number of Chancery cases from TNA. These are associated with the Lewis/Levy, Brocheton, Rayner, Brook(s) lines.
Adrian

RDWard
02-10-2012, 2:47 PM
Re postings 141 and 142. Another possible cause of probate being delayed is that Rebecca's husband, Lawrence Levy, owned the Garrick Theatre - not the current Garrick but the "Garrick Theatre (Leman St)" on Wikipedia. Although Lawrence had died in 1873, the year before Rebecca, it was still part of his unrealised estate in 1882 when Henry Levy, as Lawrence's trustee, testified at the Old Bailey (see Procs 26-6-1882) in the trial of two men called Culver and Jacobs who had been claiming to hold the lease of the theatre, and had fraudently been taking payments from actors on the promise of providing them with engagements. Wikipedia says that the site of the theatre is today occupied by the old Leman Street Police Station, built in 1891. Speculatively, could it be that Rebecca's probate was delayed until 1890 because the theatre needed to be sold to wind up Lawrence's estate first?

phillip
02-10-2012, 4:52 PM
Robert
I noted that Morris Jacobs was referred to as a servant or clerk to Dibdin Culver. I also noted in the Era Sunday Nov 4 1877 the court case involving William Morris Jacobs Lessee and Manager of the Queen's Theatre. On the Jacobs family tree there is only one Morris Henry Jacobs b abt 1856 USA. Do we have any more data on the Morris Jacobs in the 1882 trial- is he one of our Jacobs?
Phillip

phillip
26-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Robert and Adrian
I note in the trial of King v Dunn 1824 reported in the Morning Chronicle Sat Dec 11 1824 reference to Morris Levi; Emanuel Levi and Lawrence Levi - Emanuel is stated to be an assistant to the Sheriff's Officer Lawrence Levi and Morris was one of the 'team' who were involved in the trial. My question is this, are the 3 persons all brothers and part of the William Levi family. If so, then Robert has recorded Morris as born 1811 and I cannot locate Emanuel even using the associated names James b 1816; Edward b 1818 and Henry b 1822. Emanuel and Morris/Morrice would be very young boys in 1824 if linked to the dob of the previously named individuals. Lawrence was given as born older in the family tree.
In addition, in the trial dated 1828 Court of Common Pleas reported in The Morning Chronicle Sat Dec 6 1828 reference is made to a dispute involving William Levi living in the neighbourhood of Oxford St- the defendant and hsi 2 sons- Thomas and Morris Levi. My next question is who is Thomas Levi? He does not appear in the family tree of the Levi.
In short, are there Levi who we know nothing about?
Phillip

phillip
26-10-2012, 12:47 PM
The Morning Chronicle Monday Dec 18 1820 in its report Old Bailey-King v Cohen and Ten others names among the others William Levi; Jacob Shannon and Charles Levi alias Lewis. Other names included Nathan, Davis and Solomon- all involved in Bills of Exchange. Interesting that at a relatively young age of about 19 Charles Levi had adopted the surname Lewis. Noted also reference to Jacob Shannon the same surname referred to in the King's Bench trial - Morning Chronicle Sat Oct 31 1829 where a Thomas Shannon accompanied Morris Levi- son of William Levi- and took possession of a property. I also noted the same first name of Thomas Levi named as son of William Levi in the 1828 Court of Common Pleas trial- just a coincidence of names or is there a closer connection?
Phillip

RDWard
27-10-2012, 11:57 AM
In response to the last two posts from Phillip.

(1) The King v Dunn Sen. and Jun., Court of King’s Bench, Westminster, 10-12-1824, reported in The Morning Chronicle 11-12-1824; The Morning Post 11-12-1824; John Bull 13-12-1824.
In this case a father and son called Dunn were found not guilty of assaulting Lawrence Levi and fighting his brother Morris and an unknown Emanuel Levi, as they attempted to arrest a Mrs. Nixon. There are suggestions that the Levys’ Jewishness may have prejudiced the jury.
Yes Morris/Morrice would have been very young, around 13 or 14. It seems feasible that he could have been helping his older brother by then. Another possibility is that these individuals could have been of the previous generation of Levys, but if so one would expect more evidence of them in other reports. There seems to be no other mention of Emanuel anywhere and one wonders whether he could have been their brother George Lewis or a cousin.
(2) Bushnell and others v Levi, Court of Common Pleas 5-12-1828 and 4-2-1829, reported in The Morning Chronicle 6-12-1828 and Moore J.B. and Payne J. (1830), Reports of cases argued and determined in The Courts of Common Pleas and Exchequer Chamber, Volume II, Trinity Term 9 Geo. IV 1828 to Hilary Term 9 and 10 Geo. IV 1829. pp577-581 (Google Books).
In this case, Bushnell successfully took action against William Levi for non-payment of a coach repair bill, and was awarded £4 18s damages. It looks as if two of William's sons had a crash and tried to get his gig repaired without William knowing. (These days the insurance company would give them away when the next renewal premium came round!)
The Morning Chronicle report of the initial case (the only report found) names two of William Levi's sons as Thomas and Morris Levi. The name “Thomas” seems to be a mistake and should probably be Lawrence, as appears in Moore and Payne. The case appears to have set a precedent relating to the locations of work and residence.
(3) The King v Cohen, Levi and others, Court of King’s Bench 9-10-1820 and 20-11-1820, reported in The Morning Chronicle 10-10-1820 and 21-11-1820, and The Times 11-10-1820 and 21-11-1820.
In this trial, Charles Lewis, his employer Wilkinson and nine others, including Charles’s stepfather William Levi and some of his Nathan cousins, were accused of conspiring to prove fictitious debts against Cohen’s bankruptcy. Wilkinson declared his innocence and tried to blame Charles. Wilkinson, Charles and two others were found guilty, but the verdict was later set aside because one of the witnesses gave questionable evidence.
The list of defendants is: Benjamin Cohen, William Levi, Richard Wilkinson, Jacob Shannon, Mark Nathan, Samuel Shannon, Nathan Davis, Charles Levi alias Lewis, John Reece, Jacob Beuzequin and Barnet Solomon. It is mentioned that Jacob Shannon was Benjamin Cohen's father-in-law. Another Shannon, Thomas, is referred to as a cousin of the Levis in Thirlaway v Spottiswoode (1829-30).

phillip
08-01-2013, 2:47 PM
Robert
Just in case you have not seen my most recent postings on "Henry Levy Lewis-Sophia Levy Lewis (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php/75015-HENRY-LEVY-LEWIS-SOPHIA-LEVY-LEWIS)" thread #297-302 in which I have been researching the Shannon relationships to the Cohen/Norden and Levi's- as per your last post # 148 of this thread. I would welcome your comments on the data posted. I have yet to discover which Norden was the step father of Moses ( Morris) Shannon- Sheriff's Officer of Middlesex -father Jacob Laurence Shannon.
Phillip

phillip
09-01-2013, 9:02 AM
Robert and others
There are references in the National Archives UK Sun Fire Records to Jacob and Samuel Shannon 33 Middlesex St Petticoat Lane- baker 1818; Samuel Shannon same address butcher 1814 and butcher and baker 1827; Israel Mendoza same address with Shannon butcher 1814;Clara Shannon same address from 1829-1833 baker

There is also reference in Jan 1844 London Gazette to a Samuel Shannon sometimes known as Samuel Spencer living at 66 Westmorland Palce City Road General Dealer and late 3 Portland Rd Regents Park out of business but wife is a Lodging house keeper.

The Old Bailey 12 May 1831 has the record of Israel Shannon known as Lawrence Shannon - a slipper maker- aged 20 given 7 years transported and his brother Samuel also transported for life - 14 years Nov 1821 recorded in the Kent Assizes both are buried at Cooma NSW.
Phillip

ABrooks
11-01-2013, 11:42 PM
Phillip,
Not sure if this has any relevance to the Norden listed in this thread but while looking up the will extract for Henry Cohen 1817 NA071, I noticed a bequest to "Mary Boas? Otherwise Norden".
Adrian

phillip
12-01-2013, 8:26 AM
Adrian
Berger in her 2 vols has few references to Boas families and they relate to the marriage of Simeon Boas to Pauline Cohen daughter of Hyam Cohen formerly of Exeter-1863 at 49 Great Prescott St. This particular line also connects to the Van Thal family and later on to Lipman and Groenwald and Leuw. None of these lines it appears currently have any connection to Lewis/Levy.
Phillip

AlanofDurham
12-01-2013, 3:54 PM
Phillip

I had noticed that you were interested in Crawcour so I thought I would bring this reference from the Old Bailey Records to your attention

1830. ABRAHAM LEVY was indicted for stealing, on the 10th of June, 37 ink-stands, value 1l. 2s. 6d.; 9 wafer-seals, value 3s. 6d.; and 7 boxes of lights, value 4s. 3d.; the goods of Morris Crawcour his master.

[Details of the case follow]

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18400706-1830&div=t18400706-1830&terms=Morris|Abraham|Levy#highlight

Alan

phillip
16-01-2013, 8:00 PM
Thank you Alan for the data. I have been very fortunate that during the past 10 years my various Crawcour distant cousins have helped me and another of my cousins develop a huge data base world wide on the Crawcour. We hold copies of wills, photographs, birth, marriage and death certificates etc on the lines.
Phillip

phillip
18-01-2013, 8:31 PM
The following post focuses on Augustus Levy son of Edward Lawrence Levy. Augustus Levy was born April qtr 1859 Pancras 1b 34. The Old Bailey online records show that he was imprisoned for 5 years 28 June 1880 trial for larceny whilst he was a servant. He was also known as Augustus Lwrence Levy but tried as Augustus Lawrence. On 19 Oct 1885 he was again tried at the Old Bailey for the crime of Common law forgery and received 14 days without hard labour and known as Augustus Lewis.The Morning Post Fri July 2 1880 recorded that he was known by the names Augustus Lawrence alias John Lewis but his real name was Augustus Lawrence Levi. He pleaded guilty to forgery.
He disappears from further records. I decided to look more closely at the use of the alias John Lewis and noted that there was a John Lewis tried at the Old Bailey along with Adolf Grosberger and Jules Joseph Inger for deception and forgery 7 April 1902. The trial records show that John Lewis was 50 which would indicate a birth date of circa 1852 an earlier date of birth for Augustus Levy. However, my interest grew when I recognised that Jules Inger was the husband of Alice Eve Wulfson. She was the daughter of Leah Hart and Herman Wulfson. Leah was the daughter of Phoebe Myers and Henry Hart my 4x great grandparents. I have begun to speculate ( without any current evidence) the possibility that John Lewis and Augustus Levy are one in the same person not least because of the nature of the crime. In the trial Lewis said he was a traveller and that he had a wife and 2 children. He also claimed that he wanted to take his family to New York. He was living at 9 Hereford Road Acton. His passport showed he had also been in Germany at different places. The Old Bailey records had also shown a John Lewis age 21 6 August 1878 receiving 6mths for forging and uttering an indorsement for £6 and stealing the same- a similar crime to those of Augustus. In the 1902 trial John Lewis received 18mths hard labour.
I am still searching for further clues to confirm my hypothesis that Augustus Levy alias Lawrence alias Lewis are one in the same. Jules Inger claimed he had known Lewis for about 2 years prior to the trial. I will post further data if I discover it.

Phillip

phillip
20-01-2013, 12:23 PM
The 1881 Census RG11 897 67 19 (Crown Copyright,TNA) shows Augustus Lawrence U 21 b Middx London Prisoner Convict-HM Convict Prison Chatham Kent. There appears to be no trace of a John Lewis/Augustus Lawrence/Augustus Lewis in the various immigration records with an approximate age range of dob 1859 + - 5 years but this presupposes he was not using another alias to disguise his criminal records.
Phillip

Dom1
26-01-2013, 3:55 AM
Phillip / Robert I am re-reading some of the threads etc

Jacob Hyam Nathan is my grt x3 grand uncle; as far as I know these Nathans are not related to the ancestry of Edward Lawrence Levy. As Robert knows Edward's brother William married my cousin Charlotte (nee Cohen) - their descendants would have been in-law cousins to Jacob's as his niece Julia (my great X2 grand-mother) married Charlotte's Uncle, David.

Until now I had no information about Jacob's wife Charlotte other than her sir name was Bennet, so I was fascinated to discover she might have been born Moses (d of Samuel E Moses & Rachel Abrahams). It seems to be that Eliezer or Elezear Wantsmoney is the same person as Samuel E Moses, as previously mentioned on other threads many of their descendants married into various branches of my family. Mind you I am not certain of the reliabiity of WorldConnect, have never in fact ever consulted it.

Dom1
26-01-2013, 4:22 AM
Phillip

Thanks. I've looked further at Jacob Hyam Nathan's will, summarised below (may contain errors as it is not easy to read). Unfortunately it does not seem to take to us any nearer to understanding why his widow Frances Nathan was with Edward Lawrence Levy in the 1861 census and therefore throws no further light on the relationships between Nathans and Levys.

However , in addition to his wife Frances Nathan he refers to his "six children": i) Edward Nathan, his daughters Catherine and Elizabeth and his son Lewis; ii) Isaac Nathan, his wife Anne, his daughters Frances, Rosetta and Miriam and his sons Lewis Isaac and Hyam Isaac; iii) Lewis Nathan, his wife Eliza, his daughters Rosetta and Rose and his son Alfred Lewis Nathan; iv) Rosetta Moss, wife of Lawrence Moss of Montreal? (well that's what it looks like, in several places) and her daughter Clara; v) Sarah Moss, wife of David Moss of Montreal? and her daughter Clara; he also mentions grandsons Hyam Moss and Jacob Lawrence Moss but does not identify which daughter is their mother(s); vi) Henry Nathan, his wife Jane, his daughter Miriam and his son Herbert? Henry. He also names: servant Mary Ann Chevill; executors Edward Moses, Henry Moses; Samuel Moses and Edward Nathan; nephews? Hyam Samuel Moses and Lewis Nathan and sister Ausie/Annie/Susie??? (I wish I could read it - he permits her to live in his property at 19 Houndsditch) The will is long and detailed and mentions significant numbers of properties and numerous effects.

Incidentally, the servant Mary Ann Chevell/Chevill remains afterwards in the censuses with Edward Lawrence Levy through 1871, 1881 and 1891, and appears to have died aged aged 72 (Islington June1893Q). She must have been very much a member of the household.

Robert

Frances Solomon & Jacob had no children, his 6 children were from his marriage to Miriam (nee Isaacs). I do not know anything about Frances or any links she might have with Edward Lawrence Levy. Jacob's mother was, we believe, Fanny (nee Jacobs). Son Lewis married Eliza (nee Jacobs) though whether or not they were related is unclear.

The will of Hiam Nathan on scribes is that of Jacob's father.

Dom1
26-01-2013, 5:02 AM
Stupid me, there is a relationship between Frances Nathan (nee Solomon) and Edward Lawrence Levy, as pointed out previously in 157. , Edward's wife Charlotte (nee Cohen) was the niece of Jacob's sister Julia (nee Nathan) and also Rachel (nee Nathan) - both sisters married Charlotte's blood Uncles David & Samuel who were brothers-in law of Jacob. Confused? This probably explains why Frances was a visitor.

phillip
26-01-2013, 8:35 PM
Dominic
I will re-visit the Nathan and Jacobs plus others.
Phillip

RDWard
23-04-2013, 3:54 PM
Firstly, I have now finished the book about the Levy family, called Wealth and Notoriety: the extraordinary families of William Levy and Charles Lewis of London, which is available through lulu.com (and in due course elsewhere). It includes of course a chunk on Edward Lawrence Levy. The price mainly reflects the lulu's one-off print-on-demand cost - it is not a commercial venture as only few pence come to me - so I hope this "advert" here is acceptable.

Secondly, I recently attempted to submit an entry on Edward Lawrence Levy to Wikipedia, reasoning that someone who is the subject of an entire Times leader/editorial summarizing his 'career' as a fraudster is sufficiently notable to warrant an entry. However, at present the article is rejected, seemingly because there have been no other books or articles about him and my drawing together of his newspaper coverage over his lifetime is regarded as original research which "has no place on Wikipedia". I find this rather perverse. However, if anyone has suggestions for improvements, the draft article is at present at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Articles_for_creation/Edward_Lawrence_Levy. Hopefully it will be accepted eventually.

phillip
23-04-2013, 7:15 PM
Robert
First of all very well done for completing the book. I look forward to obtaining a copy. With regard to the Wikipedia submission I have to say that I found the critique for refusing to accept your summary article amusing not least because of your academic background and the quality of the primary sources which are accessible. Given you and I have had some comparable academic experiences perhaps the submission was too accurate and objective. The article also relates in part to my own Jacobs family lines through marriage and I have found nothing which has been "too harsh".
Phillip

RDWard
25-04-2013, 9:35 AM
To be fair to Wikipedia, the version you saw was after I had made some changes - one of the phrases I removed was that he was "one of the most notorious fraudulent solicitors in Victorian London", which is possibly judgmental rather than factual. But, yes, perhaps I did write it too detailed and maybe should have submitted a shorter version based on the Times editorial article, and then added the rest once this trojan horse had been accepted. Anyway, I have now resubmitted the article. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Robert

ABrooks
26-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Robert,
thanks and well done for publishing the Levy family history, I look forward to reading it.
Adrian

Dom1
28-04-2013, 2:31 AM
Congratulations Robert on your book, as you know the branch of William Levy Lawrence (1830-1912) are my cousins.

RDWard
30-04-2013, 8:57 PM
We now have an accepted Wikipedia article. They regard the quality of the article as Start Class - i.e. it lacks adequate references. I'm sure we all would be delighted if they can find "adequate" ones, but I would say that the length and duration of this thread points to that being unlikely. The editor renamed the article to Edward Lawrence Levy (fraudster) to distinguish him from the weightlifter of the same name.

Ellen
27-05-2013, 11:00 AM
I have been trying to decide where best to ask my question & given that this thread appears to be mostly about '' Levy ''[ & ever the optimist] it looks like a good place to begin...

I have the names of a Mark Levy , died May 1812 Artillery Lane , St Botolph , London, & his son Henry Levy. Henry is the subject of a Guardianship Order [October 1812 ] as Mark died Intestate, & his only son Henry, is described as an' Infant' . I think that Henry may have been born c, 1806 , reading between the lines of said document . The Guardian is named as James Cohen & is supposedly Uncle & next of kin [ Mark Levy is described as a Widower without parents] The address of the Guardian & Witnesses named, are all from London.

Has anyone heard of this Levy father & son?
Thank you

ABrooks
02-08-2013, 9:55 AM
Ellen,
you may already have this data but Syngagogue scribes ref NA898 lists Mark Levy will extract details.

Probat Date:
1812 (19 Oct)
Children:
Henry Levy (infant under seven years of age)

Other Relatives
Uncle of Henry, Jonas Cohen, Silk Trimmer of 5 Booth Street, Brick Lane.

NA Cat Ref details

Probable death of Mark Levy BSHAMBUR 307A Burial 1812 [22 May] Mordecai b. Zvi HaLevi. Probables burial, of wife of Mark Levy BSHAMBUR 294 Burial 1811 [13 Mar] wife of Aaron Mordecai b. Zvi SGL. Probable circumcision of Henry Levy BSMS 0173 Circumcision 1806 [4 May] Zvi Hirsh b. Aaron Mordecai HaLevi Artillery Lane.

Adrian

phillip
02-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Adrian
I set up a new thread for Ellen under "Mark Levy-widower died 1812" see the previous posts on this thread and the research I and others did.Am still intending to visit SOG and look for Lewis/Levy etc. Have Australian relatives staying with us until end of August so won't be able to do anything until Sept.
Phillip

ABrooks
02-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Phillip,
thanks, should have checked before I posted. BTW I am not always getting notifications of posts, seems to be less reliable since the chnage of systems.

Adrian

Ellen
03-08-2013, 1:41 PM
Adrian- thanks & as Phillip said, I do now have all available information that could be gleaned from the above

RDWard
15-09-2013, 9:06 PM
Re my 'Wealth and Notoriety' book mentioned in previous posts. These things are of course never finished as new information becomes available all the time, so I am maintaining a set of post-completion 'update' notes as a free pdf download on the lulu site. It can be found on www.lulu.com by searching for "updates to published titles" - it currently appears at the top of the search results list.