PDA

View Full Version : 1861 Census Request - Yarcombe RG9/1635

Diane Grant-Salmon
15-04-2005, 4:47 PM
I bought the 1861 Census for Somerset County and most of my lot are on it. However, a couple of them have shot across the border and are living in Yarcombe! |banghead|

If anyone has this CD, I would be very grateful if you could look for any HONNIBALL's in this area? Two families should be there, Edward and Robert's ...... but others may be hiding there too.

I find this lot hard work to track ..... my Somerset CD has Culmstock and Clayhidon on it and yet Anne B did look-ups for me in these areas for the previous Censuses, which were in Devon. (Wish they'd stop moving the borders!) BooHoo!

AnnB
15-04-2005, 6:02 PM
Wish I could help you with this one Diane, but I haven't got the appropriate census returns :( You could say that these ancestors of yours have got an appropriate end to their name, they seem to be bouncing about all over the place...... ;)
Hope you find them
Best wishes
Ann

Diane Grant-Salmon
16-04-2005, 8:11 AM
Hi Ann,

It was kind of you to respond, just to tell me that you can't do the look-up ..... the thought was there and that means a lot to me.

As for this lot bouncing around all over the place, my Robert and Sarah left Somerset and went to live in two different places in Wiltshire, four in Gloucestershire and finally Yorkshire, but I managed to catch them!

This all started because of a scanned photo of one of my Ancestors, just Grandma Honniball written on the back of the original and I decided that I'd like to find out her name.

In my file I gave her the title of Mistress Honniball, she turned out to be Sarah Billings.

|bowdown| I'm so sorry that I mispelled your name, I didn't realise until I saw your reply.

Terry
16-04-2005, 2:11 PM
Sorry Diane, Yarcombe does not come under Devon in the 1861 census- as you rightly say it's on RG09/1635- But Devon finishes at 1511. I do have it listed as being a cross border piece.

Diane Grant-Salmon
16-04-2005, 3:51 PM
Dear Ann & Terry,

:o This icon will have to do, seeing as Rod hasn't got a *Senior Moment Smiley* ..... I must admit that I'm starting to worry about the amount of these moments I'm getting. :(

After reading your message Terry, I shot into TNA and Genuki trying to find out which County had RG9/1635 on it, read that Yarcombe was surrounded by Devon, Somerset and Dorset more or less, then went into Archive CD Books and looked at Dorset 1861.

After coming up with zilch, I checked Gloucestershire 1861, only because Mangotsfield in Glos. is in Somerset 1861 ...... then I looked at Somerset 1861.

Somerset 1861 Census Registration Districts(Reference #C1861SOM)
RG 9/1601-1711

|blush| So, we all know who has this 6 CD set don't we? Who found all her lot on CD 1 and completely forgot about the existance of the other five? I know Ann has a sense of humour, I hope you have too Terry ...... you certainly need one with me around!

AnnB
16-04-2005, 4:00 PM
All I can say, Diane, is whoops ;) I blame it all on Yarcombe, if it can't make up its mind which county to be in who can blame anyone for getting confused :confused:
Best wishes
Ann

Terry
16-04-2005, 4:25 PM
Hi Diane, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets these strange moments :D . Only trouble is I'm not that senior YET!- but sometimesssssss- now what was I saying?;)

Diane Grant-Salmon
14-07-2005, 2:58 PM
Hi Ann,
This all started because of a scanned photo of one of my Ancestors, just Grandma Honniball written on the back of the original and I decided that I'd like to find out her name.

In my file I gave her the title of Mistress Honniball, she turned out to be Sarah Billings.
Hi Ann,
I thought you may like to put faces to a couple of names? I've no idea when or where these photos were taken unfortunately. :(

Sarah BILLINGS - My Gt.Gt.Grandmother
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/BillingsSarah.jpg

Betsey HONNIBALL - My Gt. Grandmother
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/HonniballBetsey.jpg

AnnB
15-07-2005, 8:10 AM
Hello Diane
I love old photos, to me they are always better than the modern variety! I especially like the one of Sarah Billings, she looks just like all great great grandmothers should ;)
By the way have you had a look at the London Gazette site? I know it has been mentioned on the Forum before, but it really is a mine of information. The search page is at http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveSearch.asp?WebType=0&Referer=WW1 and although it only goes from 1900-1997, it is amazing what you can find. It is a bit time consuming but I have found a lot of refs. to various ancestors - I didn't realise how many of them had gone into receivership :o I have just put in Honniball and there are (I think) 101 hits (not dalmations :D) so if you have a moment (or fifty) and you haven't seen the site - take a look.
Best wishes
Ann

Diane Grant-Salmon
15-07-2005, 9:25 AM
Morning Ann,
Yes, I love the old photos too ..... I have two favourites, one of another Gt. Grandmother in a ridiculous hat, the other of my favourite Grandma aged 20, looking a *bit stuck-up and snooty*! :)

Thanks for the tip about the London Gazette site, I'll certainly pay it a visit ..... I've just copied your message to Notepad and filed it as a reminder. It's cooler and cloudy today, so after posting another message, I'm going out to do some gardening!

AnnB
15-07-2005, 10:16 AM
Snap - that's just what I'm going to do :)
Best wishes
Ann

Peggy
15-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Hi Diane,

Out of curiosity, I ran a quick search on the Ancestry 1861 and spotted Honniballs/Honiballs living in Devon, Gloucs, Som, Wilts, Middlesex, & Berks. If you don't have access to the '61 for some of those counties & want more info or lookups, drop me an e-mail.

Cheers,

Peggy

Diane Grant-Salmon
16-07-2005, 9:04 AM
Hi Peggy,
Thankyou very much for the offer, but thanks to my husband, I now have a sub to Ancestry. :)

Lomond
20-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Please can you or any else reading this message help me.

I am trying to trace descendants/relatives of the late Thomas Ewan (Evan?) Honniball and his wife Kate Louise (nee Jarvis) Kate Louise was a daughter of Edward Jarvis and his wife Catherine nee Holmes).

Kate and Thomas Honniball had at least 4 sons all of whom attended Epsom College in Surrey.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Diane Grant-Salmon
21-07-2007, 6:04 AM
I have only one son listed in my file I'm afraid.
Geoffrey Thomas HONNIBALL born 1909 died 1988, married Irene EVERETT.

This was given to me by their son, who corresponded with me by snail mail a couple of years ago. I have his phone number, so later today, I'll try phoning and I'll ask him for his permission to give you his number.

Diane Grant-Salmon
22-07-2007, 5:44 PM
I couldn't contact him yesterday, as he was out for the day, but I left a message with his son ...... he returned my call today.

Yes, it is OK for me to give you his telephone number, so I shall be writing to you direct at home, in a minute.