PDA

View Full Version : 1841 Census Request - Nynehead

Diane Grant-Salmon
15-04-2005, 4:36 PM
I bought the 1841 Census CD for 950-952 from Archive CD Books, but some of my lot are living in the above area in all the other Censuses. |banghead|

If someone has the whole County set, or the CD covering this area (959) I would be very grateful for a look-up.

Ages as in 1841:

John HONNIBALL (50) b. Hillfarrance, Somerset
Hannah (42) Wife b. Oake, Somerset
John (10) Son b. Nynehead

Living in Clavenger, Nynehead in 1851 and 1861.

If Oake, which is also covered by 959, isn't too big to trawl, there may be Honniball's there too, as I have births c. 1820 ...... but none there in 1861.

Terry Waters-Marsh
16-04-2005, 3:47 AM
Dianne,

They are there on page one of Nynehead, third entry. All the info is as you provided, nothing extra other than it states John is a Farmer. I will look at Oake in a minute.

Terry Waters-Marsh
16-04-2005, 3:51 AM
Nothing in Oake.

Diane Grant-Salmon
16-04-2005, 8:20 AM
Hi Terry,

Thankyou very much for the two look-ups, it was nice of John to stay in one place for years wasn't it?!

As for the ones who aren't in Oake, heaven alone knows where they've moved to, but they'll probably turn up where I least expect them to be.

May be worth checking my County set for Cornwall 1841 ..... you never know! ;)

Terry Waters-Marsh
16-04-2005, 9:11 AM
Dear Diane,

My pleasure. As regards the 1841 Cornwall census, it is now on the FreeCEN web site in its entirety - 100% finished by the FreeCEN team. Saves a lot of time looking through the CDs. Of course, you will still need your CDs to confirm any findings in the FreeCEN web site.

Diane Grant-Salmon
16-04-2005, 4:02 PM
Hi again Terry,

Yes, I'm very grateful for FreeCen Cornwall, everyone has done a brilliant job! I have Gordon Beavington's 1851 Census which is a trawling one, so I always check with FreeCEN to see if the Parish has been transcribed, so that I can get a shortcut.

My 1841 Census is surname indexed, so I don't have to use it for that one.

jeeb
14-06-2005, 5:48 PM
Diane, You may have found your missing Oake Honniballs by now, but if you are still searching:- Robert son of Joseph and Mary bap. Oake 1802 went to London as did many other Honniballs from that family.

Diane Grant-Salmon
15-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Diane, You may have found your missing Oake Honniballs by now, but if you are still searching:- Robert son of Joseph and Mary bap. Oake 1802 went to London as did many other Honniballs from that family.
Yes, I've got Robert in London from 1861-1881 inclusive, John b. 1788 changing his name to THOMAS and founding Thomastown (near Melbourne) Australia, and Hannah b. 1799 married to her Cousin John b. 1790.

However, I've no further info on the rest of the four children, so did some of them go to London too?

jeeb
15-06-2005, 7:58 PM
Hi Diane, Robert and Ann (Lockyer) were in London well before 1861, they were having children, 9 in total I think, as early as the 1840's eg Robert son of Robert and Ann bap. St. Alphage, London 25 July 1845. With regards to Joseph and Mary's other 4 children, I know nothing more of Elizabeth or Joseph but Mary married John Acock in 1797 at Oake and Harriet married Thomas Jones. Do you know about Joseph senior dying in Ilchester gaol, if not I can let you have infomation on it.
I noticed somewhere else in a thread you mentioned your direct ancestor Robert being a widower at his marriage. His first wife was Martha Cousens, he married her at Wilton Feb. 1839. She died in 1843 aged 28 and is buried at West Buckland. Jeeb (Jeremy)

Diane Grant-Salmon
16-06-2005, 9:58 AM
Hi Diane, Robert and Ann (Lockyer) were in London well before 1861, they were having children, 9 in total I think, as early as the 1840's eg Robert son of Robert and Ann bap. St. Alphage, London 25 July 1845. With regards to Joseph and Mary's other 4 children, I know nothing more of Elizabeth or Joseph but Mary married John Acock in 1797 at Oake and Harriet married Thomas Jones. Do you know about Joseph senior dying in Ilchester gaol, if not I can let you have infomation on it.
I noticed somewhere else in a thread you mentioned your direct ancestor Robert being a widower at his marriage. His first wife was Martha Cousens, he married her at Wilton Feb. 1839. She died in 1843 aged 28 and is buried at West Buckland. Jeeb (Jeremy)
Hi Jeremy,
Nine children for Robert & Ann ...... I've only got one! Jane b. 1849! |blush| I would love to know the details on Joseph senior if you don't mind, it's great to have a bit of scandal in the family!

Yes thanks, I have the full details about Robert & Martha, their marriage date and her burial date, but not her baptism date.

jeeb
25-06-2005, 9:55 PM
Joseph was a man of means, he was church warden of Oak, overseer of the poor, land tax assessor and surveyor of the highways. He prospered during the Napoleonic war and bought several farms in Somerset and Devon. After the war farming hit a slump and Joseph got into debt and was forced to sell much of his land at a loss.He could not cover his debt and a warrant was issued on Boxing Day 1821 for his arrest. By now he was seriously ill with Dropsy. He was arrested on the 2nd January 1822 and carted 32miles to Ilchester gaol in a very weak state of health. His son John was arrested also and was already in the same gaol. Joseph died on the 19th January 1822. The case caused quite a stir and was well documented by Henry Hunt, who was out to publicise the atrocities in Ilchester gaol. The case went to court and the jury determined Joseph died by the visitation of God and Dropsy, accelerated by the inhumanity of James Austin, the Sherrif's Officer. Though the court finding did not support wholly Hunt's claim that prison had caused Joseph's death, on 6th March 1822, Parliament agreed to a suggestion that the Coroner's evidence on Joseph's death be laid before the house.

Diane Grant-Salmon
26-06-2005, 11:06 AM
:eek: Good Heavens Jeremy ...... what a story! Thank you for all the details, it makes me wonder now about his son John! I wonder if he was *forced* to emigrate to Australia?

Would it OK with you if I wrote to you direct at home please?

jeeb
26-06-2005, 1:45 PM
Hi Diane,
Yes by all means contact me directly, it would be good to be in touch with you. My e-mail is [email protected] My home address is Willow Bough Farm, Grafton Flyford, Nr. Worcester. WR7 4PJ. Regards, Jeremy (Boaz)

Diane Grant-Salmon
26-06-2005, 4:59 PM
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks ..... will do. :)