PDA

View Full Version : Edith Dale b 1861 Walworth

jmjones
16-01-2010, 8:39 PM
Dear Forum
Can you help me please - Can you help me find a birth or marriage for Edith Alice Dale - she's my Great Grandmother, she married John Grant Browning, Iv'e found her in Censuses but no sign of any certificates for her birth or marriage so far - has anyone any ideas where to look?Thanks for your help
jmjones

josie7644
16-01-2010, 8:49 PM
Dear Forum
Can you help me please - Can you help me find a birth or marriage for Edith Alice Dale - she's my Great Grandmother, she married John Grant Browning, Iv'e found her in Censuses but no sign of any certificates for her birth or marriage so far - has anyone any ideas where to look?Thanks for your help
jmjones

Hello,

Just found two Edith Dales born in 1863; one in Islington and the other in Mile End. If neither is your great grandmother, I'll have a dig around!

Josie

birdlip
17-01-2010, 6:39 AM
Sorry, I've had a look for that marriage under every combination I can think of, but I can't find anything except this...is this John Grant Browning's second marriage?

Jun 1895 BROWNING John Grant Tendring 4a 763
(Kathleen Maud ELLIS)

josie7644
17-01-2010, 8:44 AM
Like Birdlip, have searched extensively for a possible marriage, but found nothing.

Cannot find any relevant deaths for Edith/Alice/Edith Alice Dale (in case they never married).

The only two possibles I can find are

Browning Alice, aged 25, in Bristol 6a 24 (in Sep 1891)

Browning Alice, aged 26, in Taunton 5c 263 (in Dec 1893)

However, these ages don't quite fit with the birth date of 1861, which you quoted.

Sorry!

Josie

jmjones
17-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I've forwarded your replies to my Browning cousin who has also been looking, she's done a bit more research than I have & has some certificates that tie up............I'll see what she thinks................I'm so grateful to birdlip & Josie.. we'll keep searching too..............I'll keep you posted.
jmjones

Thomasin
17-01-2010, 10:43 AM
I haven't been able to find a marriage either, but on Ancestry I have found the baptisms of six children to John and Edith Browning of 28 George Street, Blackfriars between 1895 and 1901. John is said to be an engineer. Are these yours? Their names are William Thomas, John Frederick, Daisy Louisa, Florence Annie, Maud Mary and Violet Grace.

Thomasin

Thomasin
17-01-2010, 11:01 AM
If this is the right couple, they had about eleven children in all. The intriguing thing is, that on the 1911 census they have not filled in the column stating how long they have been married - so perhaps they weren't. They haven't stated how many children they had, either.

Thomasin

Mutley
17-01-2010, 6:53 PM
Who were her parents?

I can see her as a servant in the 1881 but there are a couple of possibles named Edith/Alice in 1871.
Edith b. 1863 living in St. Mary Newington, parents Francis and Emma
Alice b. 1861 in Rotherhithe, parents Damas and Elizabeth.

There is another Alice b. 1864 in the central London District School.

jmjones
18-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks Thomasin & Mutley! You're great!
The baptisms are all the family Well done!!!
I've 'asked the family' what they reckon might be the 'possibles' in Mutleys reply - because we can't find the marriage cert we don't have the parents names - so can't be sure where Edith might be in the censuses either.
Keep up the great work!
jmjones