PDA

View Full Version : Question on Reverse Adoption

stevenpenny
13-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi,

This might sound a stupid question but my Mother and Uncle were adopted sometime between 1942 and 1955.

I have all their BMD records and have traced both sides of their parents family back to my G.G.G Grandparents.

What I would like to find out is who adopted them and why. They are both deceased and had no other siblings so I have no way of knowing.

Can anyone say if this query is even possible?

Thanks

Jan1954
13-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Hello Steven,

This forum is not really equipped to deal with adoption queries after 1900, apart from in very general terms.

First, have a read of this sticky (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28666) to see if any of the links would be of help.

Then, if you have any idea of where the adoptions happened, contact the local Social Services to see if they are able to point you in the right direction.

Also, if you have any details about their adoptive families, it might be worth writing to a local newspaper to see if contact could be made with any living relatives - adoptive cousins etc.

Good luck!

stevenpenny
13-01-2010, 1:51 PM
Hi Jan,

Many thanks. I do know the area but the dates are a little vague; the other problem of course is that the individuals that adopted them may well still be alive, although they would be aged 80+ by now.

I'll take your advice and write to the local authority to see if they can help.

With Kindest Regards

Steve