PDA

View Full Version : Help with uniform ID

mcnomis
07-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Can anyone help in identifying this uniform? The back of the picture says the year of 1911. Above the picture is an "all sizes" button to view a larger size. Thank you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10290374@N08/4255241294/

crimea1854
08-01-2010, 8:15 AM
Hi

Certainly a lancer regiment, possibly the 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers.

Martin

mcnomis
08-01-2010, 3:11 PM
Thanks Martin. Forgive my ignorance...must you be Irish to be in a Royal Irish regiment? This was my Grandfather, born in England.

Peter_uk_can
08-01-2010, 3:24 PM
The cap badge looks very much like that of the 16th Lancer's

Google "16th Lancers" and use Images as well as Text to bring up some photos and info.

I doubt that this particular photo is going to be as troublesome as some others.

No chance he squirreled away his spurs somewhere, or better still his sword.

Once you have his regiment I am sure there will be more info to find.

crimea1854
08-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Peter

I still believe this is a photograph of a man from the 5th Lancers. The collar badge looks very like the 'Harp and Crown' associated with this regiment. Athough following its disbandment in 1921 it was amalgamated in 1922 with the 16th Lancers to become the 5/16th Lancers.

Martin

mcnomis
09-01-2010, 10:17 PM
My father says his father was in the 127th cavalry and was stationed in South Africa. When WWI started he was sent to France where he was a "mounted machine gunner". Is that consistent with the uniform?

crimea1854
10-01-2010, 8:13 AM
I think that perhaps if you could provide the name of your grandfather we should then be able to resolve this from the WW1 medal roll.

The 5th Lancers saw a good deal of action during the Boer War in South Africa, but just prior to WW1 they were stationed in Ireland, forming part of General Gough's 3rd Cavalry Division.

The uniform in the photograph is definitely that of a Lancer, however, it is possible that he transferred into another unit during the course of the war; the medal roll would confirm this.

Martin

mcnomis
11-01-2010, 1:05 AM
His name was Henry McEwan, born 1891. Thank you.

crimea1854
11-01-2010, 8:31 AM
Having consulted the card index to the medal roll, there is only one likely match, and that was to a Henry McEwan, 12th Lancers, Private (Reg. No 3245), who transferred at some point during the war into the Machine Gun Corp. (Reg No.41901). Unfortunately his service record does not appear to have survived.

He was entitled to the Victory Medal, British War Medal and 1914 Star with Clasp (5th Aug - 22 Nov 1914). The award of the last medal would indicate that he was a regular soldier prior to the start of war who saw action very early on during WW1. To find out more I suggest you visit the 'Long Long Trail' website.

I must admit to being confused, because the collar badge of the 12th Lancers is nothing like the one in your photograph. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the Army of the period can advise on how often men transferred between Regiments.

Martin

stevenpenny
11-01-2010, 1:56 PM
My father says his father was in the 127th cavalry and was stationed in South Africa. When WWI started he was sent to France where he was a "mounted machine gunner". Is that consistent with the uniform?

Hi McNomis,

In my humble opinion this gentleman is unlikely to be from a Lancer Regt 5th 12th or otherwise. The 'Collar Dog' is most definately of Irish origin and appears to be of the 8th (Kings Royal) Irish Hussars.

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/british_cavalry_regiment/8th_kings_royal_irish_hussars_pouch_badge.JPG

The 8th saw service in South Africa from 1899 to 1908, and then a very short stint in India in 1914 before being sent to France. The Regt 'acquired' two Maxim machine guns in 1917 and these have been kept as momento's.

In terms of being 'Mounted Machine Gunners', this is again in my opinion unlikely; as the majority of 'mounted' units were part of the Machine Gun Corps, whose earliest members were drawn from the Royal Navy. Again the badge is wrong.

In addition to the details listed by Crimea1854, There are two further Henry McEwans listed in the WW1 Archive, one served in the 16th Yorks and Lancs Regt (Born All Saints Northumberland) and one in The Connought Rangers (Born Bowness - date unknown). Neither Regiemntal badge is similar to the one in the photo.

The plate on the busby (assuming it is not a Fur Cap) is difficult to place. Can I suggest you register with the British Badge Forum at britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php (put www. in front) They might be able to help.

Regards

Steve

stevenpenny
11-01-2010, 3:46 PM
Having made the post above I asked a friend who knows about these things. He tells me that the gentlemen is certainly a member of the 5th Royal Irish Hussars.

This is we believe the plate on the hat:

http://www.the-quartermaster.org/HPIM1244.JPG

and these are the collar dogs.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=113&pictureid=3618

many apologies for my rash post |banghead|

Steve

crimea1854
11-01-2010, 4:09 PM
Steve

Apology accepted |hug|

I assume you meant to say Lancers not Hussars, for the helmet plate?

Martin

stevenpenny
11-01-2010, 5:31 PM
Steve

Apology accepted |hug|

I assume you meant to say Lancers not Hussars, for the helmet plate?

Martin

Hi Martin,

Absolutely; i'm not having a very good day |nopity|

To clarify: The photograph shows a soldier from the 5th (Royal Irish) Lancers. The helmet plate indicates he is an OR (Other Ranks) i.e. not a commisioned Officer.

I'm not sure why but I can't see the second image of the collar dogs, i'm sure I posted it? Sums my day up nicely....

Steve

mcnomis
24-10-2012, 3:51 AM
Can anyone help in identifying this uniform? The back of the picture says the year of 1911. Above the picture is an "all sizes" button to view a larger size. Thank you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10290374@N08/4255241294/

an update for anyone interested...I discovered in a census record (1911) that he was in the 12th Lancers. I believe the information provided by crimea1854 from the medal role is correct for my Grandfather. Thanks everyone!