PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal portrait restoration

Sky Bird
07-01-2010, 9:00 PM
I am writing to you to see if you know or know someone who knows about charcoal portraits made in Cape Town, South Africa in the 1860's.

We have two 18 by 24 inch charcoal portraits of ancestors who lived in CT in the 1860's. They both died there and their children were sent back to Scotland and they must have folded the portraits to pack in suit cases. Some time ago, they were mounted under glass. The problem now is that the paper is separating from a very fine fabric backing along the fold lines and seems to be spreading. I have not been able to identify the fabric backed paper that the sketches were made on and therefore cannot determine how to restore the originals or at least prevent any further separation.

We will not remove the portraits from the glass mounting until we have a plan for their preservation. We will at least make high resolution photos of the portraits and restore the photos.

Any information would be appreciated.

Sky Bird

Sue Mackay
08-01-2010, 11:44 AM
I see your question has fooled even the B-G wizards for the time being (though it was good advice to tell you to join B-G as you will learn so much else here ;))

I did a quick Google for "charcoal portrait restoration" and a few commercial outfits came up, but I think probably your best bet would be to visit your nearest large art gallery/museum and ask for some advice from the experts. It is obviously a thing that needs to be done very carefully.

ChristineR
08-01-2010, 12:54 PM
I have not been able to identify the fabric backed paper that the sketches were made on

It could be that the fabric has been layered with gesso, on to which the drawing was made. Folding has damaged the bond between the gesso and the backing and time has done the rest. Sue's advice is right, you need to go to the experts.