PDA

View Full Version : Adstone/Canons Ashby/Preston Capes Look-up

cgthornton1
07-01-2010, 1:30 PM
I was wondering if someone could do a quick look-up for me. I have two questions and both are related to George1 THORNTON below and whether:

(a) he can be seen baptizing kids in the Canons Ashby area (or thereabouts) prior to 1805…I have been unable to find his marriage (he is not in the records in Northants as marrying 1700 -1837; nor can I find a record of a marriage of him in the Strays Index).

(b) My second question…is there a possible George1 in the Northants Burial Index in these areas between 1750-1805?

[B]George1 THORNTON son of George2 & Ann of Adstone, baptized on March 26, 1749 in Canons Ashby, Northants.

...> From the marriage of: George2 THORNTON of Canons Ashby m. Anne GRIFFIN otp on May 26, 1737 26 in Preston Capes, Northants.

......> Who was: George2 THORNTON son of George3 & Martha baptized on December 11, 1708 in Adstone, Northants.

......> From the marriage of: George3 THORNTON otp m. Martha BOLTON otp on September 18, 1704 in Adstone, Northants.

Any help you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
cgt

janbooth
07-01-2010, 5:35 PM
Do you have his wife's christian name? And what was the date and place of the earliest child baptised that you have found for your George the youngest. This might help us to find likely marriages. For example, there is an extracted marriage on the IGI of a George THORNTON and a Mary KEEN on 24 August 1794 which is supposedly at London OR Northampton St Sepulchre. The marriage actually took place (according to Ancestry's London Parish Registers) at St Sepulchre, Holborn. Lincolnshire & Cambridgeshire were other counties where many Northants folk were married so any info you can give us to help narrow down the search is helpful.

Janet

cgthornton1
08-01-2010, 2:23 AM
I’m trying to answer that exact question from the other direction…. by process of elimination!

I believe my gggGfather George THORNTON [b. c1806/Wolverton, Bucks] was the son of George & Elizabeth THORNTON. In a previous thread:

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53342

I had stated that the page of the birth record of George [b. c1806] appears to have been removed…the images suggested that a page was missing such that there was a hole in the universe in Wolverton between June 1805 and July 1807. The Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies in Aylesbury has physically examined the register and has confirmed that the page is indeed missing…the same time period is missing from the Bishop’s Transcripts.

So, what I do know is that at some point c1825 this entire family moves from the Bucks area to the Wormleighton, Warks area. Based on the age of George reported at his death in Sept 1836 in Wormleighton, we know his year of birth as c1749. His wife, Elizabeth, remarries in 1840 and can be seen in the 1851/1861 UK Census records where she reports her age and place of birth: she was born c1785 in Warwick, Warks. The oldest child of this couple (William) was baptized on June 16, 1805 in Wolverton, Bucks (I have an image of this baptism). Therefore, their marriage had to be prior to late 1804…he would have been approx. 55 years, and she approx. 20 years old at their wedding. I have to imagine this was not his first marriage. So, I don’t know who the first wife of George [b. c1749] might have been, or where he may have been married.

So, I have identified 8 potential “Georges” in the IGI database:

George THORNTON……abt. 1747………. Blunham, Bedford……….….....George & Alice
George THORNTON……abt. 1748………. Mirfield, Yorkshire……….….....Isaac
George THORNTON……12 Aug 1748…...Coleshill, Warwickshire……....Joseph & Sarah
George THORNTON…...abt. 1748………..Mansfield, Yorkshire…………..Daniel & Nancy
George THORNTON……abt. 1748………..Otley, Yorkshire………………………?
George THORNTON……26 March 1749…Canons Ashby, Northants…..George & Ann
George THORNTON……9 Dec 1750……..Durham……………………………....Ralph
George THORNTON……3 Nov 1751……...Oakwood, Surrey………...….…William & Elizabeth

…and two potential marriages for George THORNTON & Elizabeth:

(A) George THORNTON m. Elizabeth UNDERHILL on 15 OCT 1804 in Ladbroke, Warwickshire

This wedding would have been 8 months to the day before the baptism of oldest son William…and Ladbroke is about 10 km southeast of Warwick & 5 km north of Wormleighton!

(B) George THORNTON m. Elizabeth WINSTON on 15 NOV 1802 in Edgbaston, Warwickshire

Edgbaston is in Birmingham, not real close to either Wormleighton or Warwick!

In researching the potential families, and evaluating the naming patterns of George & Elizabeth (as well as subsequent descendants), the family of George & Ann of Northants had 5 of 6 of the most common names which appear in the children & grandchildren of George & Elizabeth…there was no close second…and in the case of Alice, Isaac, Joseph, Daniel, Nancy, & Ralph…those names don’t appear anywhere in 3 generations! But I am also very interested in the Northants connection because at least one (possibly two) of the sons of George & Elizabeth married women from the Canons Ashby area (Everdon & Byfield)…suggesting that there was a connection of this family to that area.

So, I have been able to have the Northants baptisms (1700-1750) and marriages (1700-1837) reviewed, as well as Northants strays; I found the information shown in the original posting. The baptismal records indicate that there was only 1 George THORNTON born in Northants 1720-1750. I have not, however, been able to find an interesting marriage of a George THORNTON c1770-1800 in the IGI, and I have not been able to review the Northants baptisms between 1750-1800. If he married outside the Northants, he might still be seen having kids in Northants between 1770 and 1800. Alternatively, he might have passed away before marriage.

Regardless, I’m seeking information on possible baptisms in Northants 1770-1800 wherein the father is George THORNTON, or the possible burial of a George THORNTON 1750-1805 for exclusionary purposes…and while I know not all info is contained within these transcriptions, these are obvious questions!

Thanks!

southistle
08-01-2010, 7:22 PM
I have recently transcribed the burials in Canons Ashby/Adstone 1751-1812

Anne THORNTON of Adston 1751 26-Jun Canons Ashby an infant

Thomas THORNTON of Adston 1753 17-Jul Canons Ashby infant son of Geo and Anne

Martha THORNTON of Adston 1758 9-Feb Canons Ashby widow 88

George THORNTON of Adston 1772 6-Oct Canons Ashby

Ann THORNTON of Adston 1775 30-Sep Canons Ashby widow

Anne THORNTON - 1751 26-Jun Adstone

Thomas THORNTON - 1753 17-Jul Adstone son of George and Ann

Martha THORNTON - 1758 9-Feb Adstone

George THORNTON - 1772 7-Oct Adstone

southistle
08-01-2010, 7:31 PM
1751-1812 from the Northamptonshire Baptism Index

George THORNTON George Ann 1749? 26-Mar Adstone born 22nd Mar

William THORNTON George Ann 1754 26-Sep Adstone born 23rd Sep

Anne THORNTON Geo Anne 1751 25-Jun Canons Ashby PR of Adston

Thomas THORNTON Geo Anne 1753 18-Feb Canons Ashby of Adston

William THORNTON Geo Anne 1754 6-Oct Canons Ashby of Adston

It seems as if these Thorntons moved away form the villages as no events after 1775

cgthornton1
08-01-2010, 9:38 PM
EXCELLENT! …thank you very much! Are there any ages listed other than the one shown for Martha? Regardless, only one George THORNTON is buried in Canons Ashby/Adstone between 1751 and 1812, but we don’t know which George was buried…he was buried in 1772:

George3 [b. 1666]: he would have been 106 at his death
George2 [b. 1708]: he would have been 64 at his death
George1 [b. 1749]: he would have been 23 at his death

It shows Martha was buried in 1758; she is listed as a widow and 88 yrs old. This is consistent with Martha BOLTON who married George3 THORNTON [b. 1666]. Ann is buried in 1775; she is listed as a widow as well. This would be consistent with Ann GRIFFIN [b. 1716] who married George2 THORNTON [b. 1708]; if in fact George2 was the one who passed away in 1772. It seems that George & Ann are the only family of George Thorntons baptizing kids between 1751 and 1812 in Northants. This is still consistent with the possibility that George1 is the father who begat George THORNTON of Wolverton, Bucks in 1806. I guess that might be:

[B]George0 THORNTON son of George1 THORNTON and Elizabeth, baptized c1806 in Wolverton, Buckinghamshire.

Anyway, George1 doesn’t appear to have married in Northants, baptized kids in Northants, or have been buried in Canons Ashby/Adstone…so, I guess he’s still in the running!

Again, thank you very much for the information! |bowdown|

Now to figure out how to connect the Wolverton, Bucks father to George1 THORNTON of Canons Ashby…what types of records c1800 provide information on birthplace?

cgt