PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with the INNES funfair??

susanearl
04-01-2010, 8:58 AM
I have posted a Brickwall query about my Murley and McNulty ancestors, both form Ireland. I know from a Birth Cert that James McNulty and his wife? Mary Murley were Hawking at Cambridge in 1858 and residing in what looks to be a 'Handivan' (Can anyone help with that description?). The only other confimed record I have of them is an address at Manchester in 1871 where the Census says they gave birth to a son Daniel in 1863 America.

Ultimately their daughter Ellen settled in Leicester but her offspring may have been involved in a Midlands travelling fair in the early 1900s. (See below)

My Grandfather was William Ratcliffe Innes b 1884 Radcliffe on Trent, Notts. He described himself as a Hawker and pretty much right up to his death he made and sold wooden toys which he hawked from his bicycle in the Hinckley area where he had a settled address from the 1930s. I have plenty of records but precious few memories or photos. Does anyone remember him??

In the early 1900s W R Innes travelled as a showman with his father George Alexander INNES (b 1852 Middlesex, d 1915 in a van Coventry) and mother Mary Ann nee HOPKIN (b 1856 Bristol). I don't know when they started the fair but they were travelling quite widely in the latter part of the 19th Century. In the 1911 Census at Stoke Golding, Hinckley we have the above family with G A Innes a Steam Roundabout proprietor and employer together with another son Albert INNES ('show traveller in cocanuts'). It may be the two Innes brothers continued the funfair after their father's death and that Martin McNulty was travelling with them (but family accounts are very sketchy). The fair may well have continued to operate until the mid to late 1920s but folded under domestic pressures from the children - including my own mother Nellie who hated the lifestyle and the bullying she received while travelling from school to school.

I have records of the Innes family at Sheffield, Newport Glamorgan, Leicester, Nuneaton, Coventry and Hinckley although there was possibly no fairground activity at all locations?

I would be delighted to hear from anyone who feels they may have and connection with any of the above characters. I have lots of records which I will happily share but as stated I am short on memories, accounts and photographs. Best wishes Susan.