PDA

View Full Version : Archives

terrysfamily
31-12-2009, 3:06 PM
Just as a matter of interest, a lot earlier this morning, I went into "who's on line" and after the usual insomniacs I see "guest" and they were viewing "Archives". I looked into one of said archives and was quite fascinated with the story there.

Is there a way of accessing the archives other than going into "who's on line" and hoping that a guest is looking at them?

Pam Downes
31-12-2009, 3:31 PM
If you want to look for a particular name, place, or word then you can search the forums by using the 'search' link in the first blue 'banner' at the top of the page. You can refine your search by using the 'advanced search'.

Alternatively, pick a forum, and if necessary a sub forum, and either start reading the threads from the current page backwards, or go to page one, and then work your way forwards. You can click only on threads where the title grabs your attention, or you can peruse every single one in its entirity.(spelling??). :)
Pam

Or you could do it the quick way as suggested by Bo Peep :) How long have I been a member of this forum? You'd never guess it was 5 years would you? |dunce2|

terrysfamily
31-12-2009, 3:41 PM
I was reading a story about a woman who was hanged and it was a bit of a bodge job by the hangman and was left hanging alive for quite some time, I may be getting confused now but I think the lodger did it, apparently there was a deathbed confession.

Hi Pam

I've just got back in there using the method I used this morning, was reading one of your posts from 2005 about the LFHS inquests Cd. I didn't know about that, I feel another purchase coming on :D

Thanks

Just scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see Archive next to the, Contact Us / British Genealogy, etc. buttons.

|oopsredfa oh yeah, there it is. Thank you very much Bo Peep

Pam Downes
31-12-2009, 4:42 PM
I was reading a story about a woman who was hanged and it was a bit of a bodge job by the hangman and was left hanging alive for quite some time, I may be getting confused now but I think the lodger did it, apparently there was a deathbed confession.

Hi Pam

I've just got back in there using the method I used this morning, was reading one of your posts from 2005 about the LFHS inquests Cd. I didn't know about that, I feel another purchase coming on :D

Thanks
I'm never one to discourage people from buying LFHS products :D, but I know how disappointing it is to buy something that you think will give you a massive clue about something, only for it not to deliver.
LFHS do something whihc may be unique amongst the FHS in that they publish an index of names in some of their publications. I know that names in baptism,marriage, burial, and census indexes are excluded: not sure about some of the other smaller more 'localised' indexes, e.g. inhabitants of Boston in the late 18th century.
So lincolnshirefhs.org.uk with www. in front.
Select second box in the 'stop press' section, then the third 'click here' - to view the index of names in LFHS publications.
If you do order, please note that there are now two volumes of inquests, but it will detail which one beside the name.
Scroll down this list (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D6973&supplier=&breadcrumb=Societies+%26+Groups%3ALincolnshire+FHS :Miscellaneous+Publications+on+CD) :) for slightly more in-depth coverage details.
Pam

terrysfamily
31-12-2009, 5:08 PM
Thank you very much Pam I've just been in and had a look at the list for DRAYTON in Lincolnshire and there's 41 CD's for that name. I can cut them downa bit by district but they moved about so much I might miss someone. Oh well they know where they are|angel|

There's so many to choose from.... Where do I start|banghead|

I'm gonna have to think long and hard, with a few |5cups|

Terry